• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT driver assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you know what you are exactly right and if swt had rung me and said we have looked at your app and are not happy with your moving about. i would have said thank you, I'll look at that and give it some thought. the problem i had and explained above is that they didn't even look at the app. they had filled all their vacancies without getting to my app.

in the long run, I am in the same sort of boat as you and have had to take a train crew position that is nearly 30 miles away from where i live in order to get back on the railway. the reason I applied for the positions at fratton was to get the job i really want where I live :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tagzy

Francis I wouldn't get too worked up about this. Is it your first app for a driver position? I wouldn't be surprised if your application is in a 'to do' pile ready to be inspected when they recruit again, rather than having been binned altogether. I got through all the selection tests but my application was halted due to there being no more vacancies so I didn't even get a chance to prove myself at a manager's interview. But I've been assured I will be one of the first to be notified when more vacancies arise (I've been told Jan 2012). I think the railways recruit in such a way they just want to get bums on seats and if you pass all the tests you're in straight away. This way makes it a lot easier for people like me and you that really want the job and will persevere to get it because it seems it requires more than one try on any occasion to get a drivers job. Just hang in there bud, I am.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Not quite in the same boat Francis, I am moving to London in a few weeks when my training is complete, I'm a Pompey man through and through but sometimes you just have to accept that you can't always get what you want when you want it.

I would love to be Fratton based but I'm happy enough shuttling around on 455s for the time being.:)

oggo1

i shall pm you
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Medical went fine (no change since last one). Awaiting the results of tox-screen and CRB check...

Hello everyone. I have been keeping an eye on this forum -:p with my own worries about getting a position with SWT as a trainee driver at Waterloo. Congratulations to SalopSparky on getting through to the end. I found out friday that I too am one of the lucky ones - having had the all clear with my medical results. I hope that a lot more members of this forum get good news soon because it feels really good. However for me its the hardest process that I have ever had to go through and I did not find anything easy. I know that I have come in very late to this forum - but I would just like to say good luck to anyone still waiting to find out.

oggo1

tagzy

Congrats oggo1!

I missed out on a line managers interview for positions at Waterloo due to them all being filled! Luckily they have said they will contact me when positions arise again in a year or so.

Safety365

Congratulations to SalopSparky on getting through to the end. I found out friday that I too am one of the lucky ones - having had the all clear with my medical results.

oggo1

Thanks. Congrats to you and anyone else who got through.

Spoke to them today. Contracts are being sent out this week. Have to give my current TOC 4weeks notice, so will be handing my notice this sunday at the latest considering the 4th of April start.

See you at induction oggo1

oggo1

Congrats oggo1!

I missed out on a line managers interview for positions at Waterloo due to them all being filled! Luckily they have said they will contact me when positions arise again in a year or so.
tagzy many thanks - sorry you missed out but hopefully you will get your chance next time - never give up

Kentucky Tony - thankyou!

SalopSparky - It will be nice to see some paperwork and I look forward to meeting you on the 4th April

oggo1

455/8

Well Done to all that have passed.

I've got my Medical tomorrow morning and I've been told that the next drivers course starts on the 7th of March this course is full of course and the next course doesn't start until at least May.

Safety365

Went to collect contract from Basingstoke this afternoon. They were to be sent out this afternoon I am told, so expect them to arrive tomorrow or saturday.

oggo1

Went to collect contract from Basingstoke this afternoon. They were to be sent out this afternoon I am told, so expect them to arrive tomorrow or saturday.

:lol: Hello SalopSparky - Well done - can you please confirm your start date? I was informed yesterday that my start date is still 4th April. But waiting for paper work.

455/8 - I hope that your medical went OK?

ATB Oggo1

455/8

:lol: Hello SalopSparky - Well done - can you please confirm your start date? I was informed yesterday that my start date is still 4th April. But waiting for paper work.

455/8 - I hope that your medical went OK?

ATB Oggo1

Hello Oggo1, yeah I flew through the medical, it's the same as the one for a guard (which I am now) other than the added ECG so not a problem. I was told today that my start date is the 20th of April but as I'm an internal applicant I don't have to have an induction, so my start date will be different from that of an external applicant. I was told that the paperwork will be sent out soon to confirm this.

Alan

oggo1

Hello Oggo1, yeah I flew through the medical, it's the same as the one for a guard (which I am now) other than the added ECG so not a problem. I was told today that my start date is the 20th of April but as I'm an internal applicant I don't have to have an induction, so my start date will be different from that of an external applicant. I was told that the paperwork will be sent out soon to confirm this.

Alan

:lol: Hello 455/8. Congratulations on going the distance. I sent my Basic Disclosure form back today and should get my paperwork very soon for April 4th start. I will hopefully see you on the 20th of April.

ATB

Oggo1

armin99

hi, ive applied to bournemouth too, passed all assessments by mid feb, and still waiting for an interview date, but got a feeling ive missed the boat for this year. have phoned up hr a few times and been given different answers. has anybody been offered a position in bournemouth??
Does anyone know if they have started sifting for Bournemouth yet?

hello mate, have you heard anything about bournemouth yet? reading the threads from this, it looks like they are sifting through the south coast depots now, hopefully we should hear something soon, but its a killer looking at the post every morning!!

455/8

Anyone Due To Start At Basingstoke On The 18th?

Hello pH, I've been told I start on the 20th of april, because I'm already a Guard I don't have to do the 2 days induction which would be on the 18th & 19th. I take it your an extrernal applicant?

Alan

tagzy

I finally have my line manager's interview next Wednesday!!:D

Anybody else received good news lately?

tagzy

Thanks. Well I applied for Waterloo originally, but when I was told vacancies had been filled I explained my situation and asked to be considered for all depots. They didn't tell me which one it is for over the phone but I suspect it is Waterloo. I will find out when the letter comes I guess!
I know some people on here should have started already. Can anyone tell me how the training works i.e. what days/hours do you work? And how long that lasts until you have to start shiftwork? I only ask because I am about to join the police as a special and I have commited myself to doing every Saturday for 23 weeks from sometime in the near future. I just want to be prepared in case I get a drivers job so I can inform the police about my circumstances asap.

455/8

Hi Tagzy, I have just started the training course and according to my training plan we will be working monday to friday, 08:45-16:14 at Basingstoke train school until middle of July, where we then start our hours with our DI's where we will be working the shifts of out DI's.

Hope thats of help, If you want any more info I can get it tomorrow when I'm back at Basingstoke.

Alan

tagzy

Cheers for that! So that's about three months until you go onto shifts then? Do you have to work Sundays after? Because I can swap my training days to Sundays if I'm not obliged to work then.

455/8

When your in the class room doing your rules (which is about 3 months but I'll get the actual timings tomorrow) no you won't have to work sundays, you get the weekends to your self (Banl Holidays are down to your manager). When you go out doing your hours you'll work what your DI works, so it's depending on what he/she has in agreement at their depot. Usually you will work a mixture of days, nights, early turns, late turns, weekends and bank holidays.

tagzy

Ok thanks for that. I just remember reading somewhere that all Sunday duties were voluntary. I'm sure it will work out anyway. I'll just worry about it if I actually get offered a post!

MrC

Ok thanks for that. I just remember reading somewhere that all Sunday duties were voluntary.
Not on SWT. All 7 days are in the working week. Note that releases can be made for certain voluntary positions, such as school governers and magistrates. Not sure if specials are included in this and if you get offered a position I'd suggest contacting your driver manager to check. Note that driver training can be quite stressful and you might want to defer any specials work until driver training completed.

TDK

Established Member
If the driver started yesterday then the answer has to be Yes, If the driver started when i started then the answer is probably No.

Lets look at Rules, today's railways want to do away with the Guards grade and may in the next decade or two succeed in doing that. However i remember a time when Guards were the only grade to have rules revision every year and had to know exactly what the driver did and more. So in 1987 when i became a Guard i had to know as much and if not more then the driver was trained in. As mentioned above with the onset of sectorisation and privatisation the Guards rules have been watered down to a virtual non existent position today.

With regard route and traction of course the driver has far more knowledge then the Guard mostly due to the role of the grade.

I suppose the answer you want from me is to say that in my 30 years i have learnt nothing, achieved nothing and so deserve nothing. And a driver who started yesterday knows more in one day then i have learnt in 30 years. All i will say is that i like the job i do and when my company dispenses with my role it will not be because i do my job and do it well, it will be down to Politics and Money.

There is always going to be us and them and you will find the more experienced guards like yourself take this attitude - the annual drivers rules with the company I work for has 198 questions not including the traction questions or the route knowledge questions and guards have about 100 in all including the traction and the route knowledge. Admitted you may know more about railway operations and how to disolve a problem with your experience that a new driver but as a guard for 30 years and without progressing to driver or a management role currently this says it all about you I am afraid.

So have you ever taken the aptitude tests for a drivers position?

Status
Not open for further replies.