• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking a Cycle on a Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Had to leave 5 cyclists behind at Brandon last night heading for Ely as already 12 on board. They had gone by the time we returned so must have got a few extra miles in on such a lovely evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drsatan

Established Member
Had to leave 5 cyclists behind at Brandon last night heading for Ely as already 12 on board. They had gone by the time we returned so must have got a few extra miles in on such a lovely evening.

I would be very interested as to whether a passenger, holding an AP ticket and cycle reservation, would be entitled to compensation if he were unable to board the last train to his/her destination with their bike due to overcrowding (say, the previous train was cancelled meaning there were two trainloads of passengers on one train).

Not a situation I hope to find myself in, but an interesting one nonetheless.

al78

Established Member
Furthermore there are only three main sizes of folding bike: 16-inch wheeled, 20-inch wheeled, and then the full size bikes that just happen to have a hinge in them (26-inch). I used to own one of the latter, but found that its folding credentials were not all that useful. (I'm back to riding a proper diamond frame these days.)

There are the Birdy folders as well which have 18" wheels, of which I use for most train journeys (I live just over two miles from my local station).

Does anyone know if there is a way of simultaneously booking an advance ticket and a cycle space for the booked train at the same time, or finding out if a cycle space is available at the time of booking an advance ticket? I tend to book advance tickets online and there is no facility for checking on bike space availability at the time of booking the ticket online.

transmanche

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a way of simultaneously booking an advance ticket and a cycle space for the booked train at the same time, or finding out if a cycle space is available at the time of booking an advance ticket?
I think you can on East Coast's website - but that may be for their services only.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would be very interested as to whether a passenger, holding an AP ticket and cycle reservation, would be entitled to compensation if he were unable to board the last train to his/her destination with their bike due to overcrowding (say, the previous train was cancelled meaning there were two trainloads of passengers on one train).

I'm not sure if you can reserve cycles on Greater Anglia locals (or Intercity for that matter). Thought it was first come first served pot luck.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
What's the record number of bikes you've seen on a train?

Last summer I took mine on the 0849 Leeds to Carlisle on a saturday morning and the very affable guard let no less than 12 bikes onto her train (a 158 + 153 formation). I thought about writing to Northern to praise her for being so accommodating but then thought in the crazy world of rail companies she'd probably get into trouble for breaking health and safety laws or something.

Last edited:

brompton rail

What's the record number of bikes you've seen on a train?

Last stummer I took mine on the 0849 Leeds to Carlisle on a saturday morning and the very affable guard let no less than 12 bikes onto her train (a 158 + 153 formation). I thought about writing to Northern to praise her for being so accommodating but then thought in the crazy world of rail companies she'd probably get into trouble for breaking health and safety laws or something.

Since Northern like to regard themselves as THE cycle friendly TOC, and have given their staff discretion in accommodating cyclists and their bikes, I doubt that the Conductor would be reprimanded - quite the reverse. When I was Secretary to the Northern Rail Cycle Users Forum, we tried to encourage cycling customers to send in examples of helpful conductors. If enough info is sent in (date/train/stations etc) these 'thanks' can, and will, be passed on. Please be nice to conductors and say "thanks" when appropriate, and do pass on good service - conductors are human too!

Remember Northern's parent company (well half of it) is Abellio (formerly known as NedRail, a subsidiary of NS Spoorwegen, Dutch Railways. They are responsible for Leeds Cycle Point at the front of the station where you can securely park your bike, have it repaired or hire a bike. Hundreds of Northern stations now have cycle parking, mostly covered by station CCTV.The first UK example of OV Fiets where you can hire a bike at a local station is soon to be rolled out in Northern's area. Since space on trains is limited (officially two bikes per train) leaving your bike at the station is a reasonable idea, even if you may have concerns about security.

Northern's website has a link to the Northern Cycle Forum, organised by Northern but administered by excellent volunteers.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member

I would imagine that you would be advised to secure your cycle and get yourself home, and then contact the TOC to deal with it later. I'd certainly expect something if I'd reserved and not got the bike on.

tsr

Established Member
The first UK example of OV Fiets where you can hire a bike at a local station is soon to be rolled out in Northern's area.

Although, to be fair, bike hire at stations is not a new concept overall, although there are variations - it already exists very near a number of London stations with Barclays Cycle Hire, under a slightly different system at Norwich, and Brompton bike hire will soon be in place at Redhill, to take 3 examples.

Liam

Established Member
I've seen bikes removed from the West Highland trains just before departure at Glasgow Queen street because someone has turned up with a reservation. The bike is often followed off by a disgruntled passenger :lol:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.