• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tea: Milk first, last, or not at all?

Which order do you make your tea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I thought that the "What size takeaway coffee" thread deserved a tea-based antithesis.

This is an old debate - but which order do you make your tea in? Milk then water, or water then milk?

The former is arguably more practical, as you never have to tip out water to get the desired amount of milk. But I prefer the taste of the latter.

I recall reading about a scientific study suggesting that the "milk before water" approach was proven to taste better, but I think trying to scientifically prove which has the better taste makes little sense, as it's a matter of personal preference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't want boiled milk in my tea, so agree with your preference, taking it you mean a tea bag in a cup/mug job. On the other hand, if it's tea poured from a pot, then I like to put milk in first (just enough to add some afterwards.)

najaB

Veteran Member
If it's made in a mug then it's milk last. If it's made in a pot it's milk first.

Unless, of course, it's lemon instead of milk.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I leave the teabag to infuse for at least 2 minutes, then remove and stir in a splash of milk.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I love treacle tea - strain the bag to within an inch of it's life (careful that it doesn't burst!) then leave it in the cup at the bottom then add just enough milk to make the tea a rich golden colour.

I love the Yorkshire Tea Bags but I can alternate with them and PG Tips.

CJ

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't answer the poll as it depends whether I'm using a teapot or not.

If it's in a teapot then I will put the milk and sugar in the cup and then pour the tea from the pot when ready. If I'm making the tea in the cup then I will put the milk in after I've stirred the teabag around a bit, then add milk, stir a bit more, before removing the teabag.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Can't answer the poll as it depends whether I'm using a teapot or not.

If it's in a teapot then I will put the milk and sugar in the cup and then pour the tea from the pot when ready. If I'm making the tea in the cup then I will put the milk in after I've stirred the teabag around a bit, then add milk, stir a bit more, before removing the teabag.
If it's made in a mug then it's milk last. If it's made in a pot it's milk first.

I have added this option to the poll.!

philjo

Established Member
It depends on the tea. I usually use green tea so don’t add milk.
when I have black tea (Darjeeling normally):
At work I use a tea bag in the mug so water first. Then usually drink it black but fairly weak. I can make a tea bag last 2-3 mugs!

At home it is always loose leaf tea brewed in the pot. So milk in the cup first then pour the tea using a strainer.

I believe the tradition for milk first was with fine bone China pouring the tea in first risked cracking the cups so milk was added first to prevent that. The tea was always brewed in the pot before pouring.

RichT54

Something strange happened when I was 19. Up until then I could happily drink tea. Then one day I made myself a cup and took a sip and it tasted awful. I couldn't drink it at all. Thinking I had made a silly error, I carefully made another cup but the result was the same - undrinkable! Maybe the tea bags were bad, or the water, or the milk? I replaced them all; I also tried different brands of teabag and loose leaf tea, but still the same result. Since then, over the following 40+ years, I have had a few more goes, but each time it still tasted bad. I've made tea for visitors and they tell me it's fine, but at least I can still enjoy coffee.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I don't want boiled milk in my tea, so agree with your preference, taking it you mean a tea bag in a cup/mug job. On the other hand, if it's tea poured from a pot, then I like to put milk in first (just enough to add some afterwards.)
My preference too. It really does depend if tea is made in a cup with a teabag or made in a teapot. So it does depend

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Milk last if you're doing it in a cup as it doesn't brew properly if the tea bag isn't left in boiling water to brew.
Milk first if you're using a teapot and a china cup so you don't crack it.
Otherwise (e.g. teapot and regular mug) it doesn't make a jot of difference which way round you do it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't drink tea, but I do make tea for my wife.

Teabag in first, pour the water from the kettle over it, remove teabag, add milk.

Lots of milk.

She likes her tea and coffee about 30% milk...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Milk last if you're doing it in a cup as it doesn't brew properly if the tea bag isn't left in boiling water to brew.
Milk first if you're using a teapot and a china cup so you don't crack it.
Otherwise (e.g. teapot and regular mug) it doesn't make a jot of difference which way round you do it.
That’s exactly what I would have said and you’ve saved me writing it out. ;)

TheJoyOfSix

Let's not also forget that tea needs to be infused in water that is at minimum 93*C, any cooler than that and it won't release all the flavours. This explains why it is impossible to make a decent cup of tea above 7000' above sea level or on an aeroplane as they're usually pressurised to a min 9000'.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I love treacle tea - strain the bag to within an inch of it's life (careful that it doesn't burst!) then leave it in the cup at the bottom then add just enough milk to make the tea a rich golden colour.

I love the Yorkshire Tea Bags but I can alternate with them and PG Tips.

CJ
I know where the plantation is for Cornish tea, but I'm intrigued which part of the Ridings gives birth to Yorkshire Tea. Don't tell me it's Barnsley!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Correct way: Mug. Milk. Yorkshire Tea bag. Boiling water. Stir. Drink. Enjoy. Relax.

No further discussion required. Any disagreement = wrong.

Giugiaro

Never poured milk on tea before, though I've been willing to try it out.

You're supposed to add milk to Black Tea right? Which one specifically?

I only ever drank herbal infusions, like lemon balm (melissa), camomile, lemon, raspberry and blackberry, or bilberry.
Only just recently (like, for 4 years already) I've started drinking Green Tea on a regular basis, like Matcha, Sencha, Hōjicha or Gorreana Hysson. (I know, they're almost ALL Japanese)

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
In a mug it’s tea bag then water then tea bag out then a bit of milk.

if it’s in a tea pot it’s milk in first.

krus_aragon

Established Member
You're supposed to add milk to Black Tea right? Which one specifically?
It can be added to any black tea.

The obvious exception is: if you've decided to add lemon to your Earl Grey (or whatever), you don't want to add milk as well!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yorkshire Tea (the brand owned by Taylor's of Harrogate) is massively, massively over-rated. There's nothing special about it, it's just somehow become a brand that's hip for minor British celebs to endorse for some reason... Twinings Strong English Breakfast is the brand to go for.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
There's a bloke who I used to work with who used the same tea bag to make at least brews! That should be an 11th commandment - never over use a tea bag!!! I never had a brew off him - it probably tastes like dish water!

CJ

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It depends on the tea. I usually use green tea so don’t add milk.
when I have black tea (Darjeeling normally):
At work I use a tea bag in the mug so water first. Then usually drink it black but fairly weak. I can make a tea bag last 2-3 mugs!

At home it is always loose leaf tea brewed in the pot. So milk in the cup first then pour the tea using a strainer.

I believe the tradition for milk first was with fine bone China pouring the tea in first risked cracking the cups so milk was added first to prevent that. The tea was always brewed in the pot before pouring.

That is interesting. I heard somewhere that when tea was first in fashion, the well to do people who had good quality bone china and wanted to show that off and that it was high quality, would put the boiling water in first, if the china was good, it would not crack, then they put the milk in afterwards. I do tea first followed by a very small amount of milk. I like my tea strong and dark too.

nlogax

Established Member
Yorkshire Tea is an abomination.

There, I said it.

If I must, PG Tips or Twinings Breakfast in a mug, milk last. But as long as we're being completely honest tea is inferior to coffee in every way.

The_Train

Established Member
Correct way: Mug. Milk. Yorkshire Tea bag. Boiling water. Stir. Drink. Enjoy. Relax.

No further discussion required. Any disagreement = wrong.

You've disappointed me here Rich, I had you nailed on to make a cuppa the right way. I think the south has ruined you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.