• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tesco Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to try these threads & posts:

Small Load Railfreight

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=319219&postcount=5

Highland Main Line

I used to pass the tesco Train quite regularly when I was travelling on the Northbound chieftan and it would pass somewhere between Perth and Gleneagles. The containers are non-standard in that they are unusually low, as the Highland Main Line does not have the clearance for full sized containers. There's still a few stacked up at Inverness Station.

There are local jokes (of the not-at-all-funny variety) in the Inverness area about it and the far north having become taken-over by Tesco (The larger Morrisons at Milburngate didn't raise the same sentiment).
Stobart's boast was that the train took over 40 trucks off the A9 every day.

See also: http://www.csfd.co.uk/new_stobart_rail_opens_tesco_green_train_rail_freight_service.htm

and

http://www.railnetwork.info/article.php?article_id=2650

Thank you for this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Its my understanding that a train cötinues up the far north, unsure if exclusively ****co (sorry hate them with a passion) but my partner who lives in Orkneys local store often runs out because the train has missed the ferry.
She now shops at Lidl.
It also anoys me when there train is late as with the now more intensive HML Service it can hold things up quite badly on the HML.
That said I still agree totally with rail freight.

Boothby97

Established Member
I saw a train of 'LESS CO' liveried containers near Chepstow a day or two ago. Didn't see the loco (trees in the way) but from what I could see I though maybe a Direct Rail Services class 66. I didn't think Tesco trains ran into Wales though, thought it was only one or two class 92 hauled trains.

P.S. While in the Chepstow area, I also saw a train of oil tankers (again was a bit slow to get a good look at the loco, but I think it was a red class 60). Do any of the oil trains from the oil refinary near Milford Haven go that way?

If you read my post on the second page, all the details are there. Yes, a DRS 66 hauls a daily Tesco Express to Wentloog (Cardiff)

Thanks, Sam

StripeyNick

The 'Tesco Express' runs to Wentloog near Cardiff everyday bar Saturday hauled by a DRS 66. (Every 66/3 & 66/4 that DRS operates has now been on the train).

Mon-Fri it passes through Newport at 11:55 inbound (4V38 08:22 Daventry to Wentloog) and at 21:15 outbound. (4M36 20:55 Wentloog to Daventry).

On a Sunday it runs a bit later inbound and leaves Wentloog quite a bit earlier returning north.

In answer to the original question, it could have been this service that was seen at New St as it has been diverted a couple of times recently.

The 'Tesco Express' runs to Wentloog near Cardiff everyday bar Saturday hauled by a DRS 66. (Every 66/3 & 66/4 that DRS operates has now been on the train).

Mon-Fri it passes through Newport at 11:55 inbound (4V38 08:22 Daventry to Wentloog) and at 21:15 outbound. (4M36 20:55 Wentloog to Daventry).

On a Sunday it runs a bit later inbound and leaves Wentloog quite a bit earlier returning north.

In answer to the original question, it could have been this service that was seen at New St as it has been diverted a couple of times recently.

Thanks for this. It helps to explain why I saw it at New St.

Maxfly

Its my understanding that a train cötinues up the far north, unsure if exclusively ****co (sorry hate them with a passion) but my partner who lives in Orkneys local store often runs out because the train has missed the ferry.
She now shops at Lidl.
It also anoys me when there train is late as with the now more intensive HML Service it can hold things up quite badly on the HML.
That said I still agree totally with rail freight.

Not for a long time I'm afraid, the Tesco train terminates at Inverness usually very early as opposed to arriving at it's booked time too. I am struggling to remember the last time it actually was late arriving...probably during the last weather disruption I think. I think the containers could be lorried from here to meet the ferry though. It shouldn't hold too much up on the HML as 1H05 is the first passenger behind it and there is the sleeper which is ahead of it and any southbounds will mean the tesco train is looped to keep those on time:)

Phil H

I often see this south of Northampton on the WCML. Can't say it runs every day or not, but when I have seen it, it has been travelling North at both 9.30 am and 9.30 pm. I guess that as it is curtainsiders, the weight is vastly reduced over containers, hence when I see it, it is shifting to say the least.

Boothby97

Established Member
I often see this south of Northampton on the WCML. Can't say it runs every day or not, but when I have seen it, it has been travelling North at both 9.30 am and 9.30 pm. I guess that as it is curtainsiders, the weight is vastly reduced over containers, hence when I see it, it is shifting to say the least.

That would be Tilbury to Daventry (morning southbound, evening northbound)

Established Member
The southbound ex-Inverness passes Stirling at 1715 daily. You can almost set your watch by it!
Any chance of the Scottish one giving some lessons to the Daventry to Tilbury one? The only consistent thing about "Less Co2" down this end of the country is that the southbound one runs late; I gave up after several fruitless attempts to photograph it on my way to work and will have to wait for a day off when I have time to wait around for it! Strangely, the northbound working is a much better performer.

tadhatter

Tesco train seems to run north through rugby station every weekday usually just after 9am. I often see it. I presume it starts at dirft with the huge Tesco facility there and heads well somewhere north! Can't ever recall seeing a southbound one though oddly enough.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Tesco train seems to run north through rugby station every weekday usually just after 9am. I often see it. I presume it starts at dirft with the huge Tesco facility there and heads well somewhere north!
The train at 9am runs to Cardiff.

There is also an earlier departure (passing Rugby around 06:30)
which runs to Mossend, and a third daily train to Tilbury, which
of course doesn't pass Rugby.

MARK

ChristopherJ

If it is of any interest to anyone, a DRS freight train with TESCO / Less CO2 containers passed me at Brondesbury Park (North London Line / Network Rail Route E) towards Willesden Junction at approximately 21:00 hrs last night (Weds 25th).

calc7

Established Member
Just seen one on the Up Slow at Hillmorton Junction, Rugby.

Phil H

Spotted today southbound at 11:50am at northampton, pulling Less Co2 and Stobart liveried curtainsiders. Must have been a million wagons on it, as it took forever to go by as I guess it is uphill out of Northampton towards Blisworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.