TfL Fares Increase 2014

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by duncanp, 25 Nov 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duncanp

duncanp Member

Does anyone have any idea on when TfL are going to announce details of next year's fare increase, or what is causing the delay?

From past memory they usually announce details well before this time of the year.

2. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

I was thinking that too. Last year the increase was announced on 7 November. I suspect the mayor is in a difficult position regarding funding, hence the delay.

3. duncanp

duncanp Member

I can't help remembering during the 1970's when British Rail's annual fare increase was delayed by a month for political reasons.

The now defunct Punch magazine ran a brilliant cartoon which had the following words coming out of a station tannoy - "British Rail apologise for the late arrival of your fares increase. This is due to snow on the line and unforeseen difficulties with the Price Commission" (Yes I am showing my age)

Going back to TfL, it might also be nice if they could tell us what services they are going to run over the Christmas period soon, and possibly upload the data to the journey planner before 25th December. (Last year, it was less than a week before Christmas before they uploaded the data)

4. radamfi

At least TfL have a set time each year for the fare rise. On buses outside London, fares can change at any time with no notice.

5. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

I know that they do publish track closures at least 6 months in advance now(should link to the correct PDF for whenever you read it: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/track-closures.pdf )
    I think that this is integrated into Journey Planner,but I'm not 100% sure

6. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

I seem to remember one year during Ken Livingstone's tenure, he sneaked in a fare rise during the summer!

7. duncanp

duncanp Member

Knowing the track closures is fine, but it doesn't tell you the time of the last bus or tube on Christmas Eve, or the first bus or tube on Boxing Day. Nor does it enable you to use the journey planner.

8. Be3G

Be3G Established Member

In terms of first buses on Boxing Day, last year TfL ran a full Sunday service on the day, with (if I remember correctly) 24-hour routes starting at about 6am.

9. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Usually day services run until the end of service with 24-hour routes running until around midnight.

10. paddington

paddington Member

Well, there was a lot of fanfare about his fare decrease (£1 to 90p) in September (that wasn't completely a decrease since caps and bus passes stayed the same) but people forgot that he had raised the prices from 80p (though admittedly £1 before 0930) just 9 months before.

11. radamfi

The average fares rise has been limited to inflation (3.1%) rather than the 4.1% expected for National Rail.

Only three tube fares will increase by 10p: Zone 1 peak and off-peak and Zone 1-2 off-peak
    PAYG caps frozen
    Bus singles up to £1.45, bus daily cap and cash fare frozen
    7 Day Bus & Tram up 80p to £20.40
    Zones 1-2 and Zones 1-4 paper off-peak Travelcards withdrawn, leaving just Zones 1-6, frozen at 2013 prices.
    Anytime paper Day Travelcards and Period Travelcards rise in line with National Rail fares.

12. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

My bus operator has always given notice.. usually an A4 poster stuck behind the driver, with small text and no actual idea of how much the fare increase will be (just that some will rise and some might be frozen). Then you can't find that on their website either and so only find out on the day!

13. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Still no sign of a Zone 1-9 travelcard then?

14. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

There's a Zone 1-9 travelcard already.

Fares here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Daily is £20.40 peak / £12.10 off-peak

Last edited: 3 Dec 2013
  15. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Ouch.

Double ouch.

Does that now mean a paper period Travelcard will now cost more than an Oyster one? Interesting.

ETA: Just read the press release. No, it means those of us who have period Travelcards (so anyone living in London then) will be paying more than inflation yet again.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2013
  16. simple simon

simple simon Member

getting rid of / killing off the 1-2 and 1-4 paper ODTC's represents a significant fares hike for those of us who used them. Its bad enough the 2-6 and 2-9 are no more... I used these and now travel a lot less because I cannot afford the higher fares via z1 (the loss of the 2-9 saw an almost 100% increase in travel costs - the 1-9 was just 20p less than twice the price of the 2-9) :(

its a slippery slope....

no doubt within a few years all one day ride at will tickets will be withdrawn... with 'low usage' being used as a reason that the public will accept.

I wonder how soon before the Dutch system is implemented whereby holders of all RFID tickets, even monthly / annual Travelcards need to touch-in/out at all times? ie: full tracking of all our movements.

Simon

17. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The way you write the 'full tracking' suggests you believe some sinister masterplan to monitor everyone? I'm really not bothered about that given how many people travel every day.

If the foibles of Oyster can be fixed, I can see that a Travelcard will be less enticing for a lot of people, as the price cap will serve the same purpose.

And then there's contactless payment cards.. so presumably there needs to be a touch in/out to work out how much to debit on the card (and if there will be any form of price capping on those too).

18. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

I can't imagine full tracking will be able to be implemented unless NRCoC are re-written. I'm sure they will be at some point, but not now.

As it stands, I don't really care if TfL know that I get on the Northern Line at Highgate at 0758 every morning and get off it again at Angel at 0833.

19. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What's the point of withdrawing Zones 1-2 and 1-4 paper Off-Peak Day Travelcards if the Zones 1-6 ones, and the Anytime versions, are still kept? The same hardware and software are still having to be maintained.

The cynic in me feels that there is a plot going on, with TfL hellbent on forcing everyone onto Oyster (and I wonder why :roll:). I wonder how much longer before paper tickets will disappear in London completely.

I am not the least bit surprised, after the palava with the removal of the Zones 2-6 and 2-9 Day Travelcards/caps. Another kick in the teeth for people who for whatever reason do not wish to use Oyster.

Another theory is that this is TfL's underhanded way of forcing through a fares hike. I witness plenty of people who buy these soon-to-be withdrawn products. They will either now be forced to fork out for extra zones that they don't need, or allow TfL to keep their £5 deposits and earn interest on them. There is always a catch when the headline reads that there would be no price rises for many fares. Of course, this way it does not have a negative impact on the percentage figures for overall fare rises. Spin, spin and more spin. Same old.

20. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

Not forgetting contactless, which will be introduced at some point in 2014. The axing of the 1-2, 1-4 off-peak one day paper travelcards is the final push to get those people who don't mind paying that little bit more for the flexibility of the paper ticket onto Oyster (and contactless).

However, if for some reason the ticket office is closed or the Oyster reader on the TVM's is not working, I'll have to pay an extra 90p for a 1-6 travelcard. (I live in Zone 3)

Zone 1-2 One Day Travelcards are still popular with tourists. I've seen people at Charing Cross and Leicester Square hand in their Oyster and spend the £5 deposit towards a travelcard for their last day in town.

If you look at the figures, it's bus passengers, who are the poorest, either on benefits or the low paid who are paying through the roof with the 7 day Bus & Tram Pass going over the £20 barrier for the first time, along with Travelcard users who I suspect are subsidising the freeze in PAYG outside Zone 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.