• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW North Wales - Should this service Switch to Manchester Victoria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
If diverting the TPE airport services from Newcastle and Redcar in to the Picc main shed took place, what services would be hampered by this happening and the TPE crossing over the statin throat again?
Would this not only be the case if they continued to the Airport not if they terminated at Piccadilly.

If it meant the TfW service could continue to serve Piccadilly I think cutting 1 TPE service an hour at Piccadilly would be worth it however I think it would be even better to just take some Northern services out such as the Liverpool to Crewe and Southport to Alderley Edge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Would this not only be the case if they continued to the Airport not if they terminated at Piccadilly.

If it meant the TfW service could continue to serve Piccadilly I think cutting 1 TPE service an hour at Piccadilly would be worth it however I think it would be even better to just take some Northern services out such as the Liverpool to Crewe and Southport to Alderley Edge.

Southport to Alderley Edge should be chopped in half straight away. I would still terminate the TfW service at Victoria.

VT 390

Established Member
Southport to Alderley Edge should be chopped in half straight away. I would still terminate the TfW service at Victoria.
Is the whole reason for diverting the TfW service away from Piccadilly not to free up paths on that route? If so if you could remove 2 Northern services (the Southport to Alderley Edge and Liverpool to Crewe) would this not be enough)? I know the TfW service uses end door stock but that won't be an issue once the new trains arrive.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Not a hope they'd get permission to do that, the performance risks at Crewe would be staggering.
Accepted. But I believe my other point is still valid, that it would be feasible to divert the TfW service to Stalybridge as well as the Northern Chat Moss stopper. This would remove two paths from the Castlefield corridor.

I do not think there is any realistic prospect that TPE services will be diverted away from the corridor.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Accepted. But I believe my other point is still valid, that it would be feasible to divert the TfW service to Stalybridge as well as the Northern Chat Moss stopper. This would remove two paths from the Castlefield corridor.

I do not think there is any realistic prospect that TPE services will be diverted away from the corridor.

Isn't there a problem that the Chat Moss stopper and TfW North Wales service would conflict at Victoria with the TPE trains perhaps almost as badly as they do in the Castlefield Corridor?

Just moving services from one route to another doesn't solve the problem as well as taking difficult decisions and cutting services out altogether.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
From a connectivity viewpoint, it probably makes sense for half hourly Chester - Manchester services to alternate between Victoria and Piccadilly.

What really clogs up Castlefield unnecessarily is Manchester Airport - Leeds services running via Victoria. These should run via Guide Bridge and reverse - and could connect with Chester trains at Piccadilly. The Ordsall Curve slots should be given to Calder Valley trains giving passengers from Rochdale, Halifax and Bradford connections to the south (Stockport, Crewe, South Wales, Birmingham, etc) at Piccadilly.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What really clogs up Castlefield unnecessarily is Manchester Airport - Leeds services running via Victoria. These should run via Guide Bridge and reverse

That clogs up the throat of Piccadilly station instead and means, among other things, that you would need to cancel the second Buxton service which was introduced when the TPE services were diverted via Victoria.

The Ordsall Curve slots should be given to Calder Valley trains giving passengers from Rochdale, Halifax and Bradford connections to the south (Stockport, Crewe, South Wales, Birmingham, etc) at Piccadilly.

That simply maintains the current number of services. The whole point is to reduce congestion, not increase it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That clogs up the throat of Piccadilly station instead and means, among other things, that you would need to cancel the second Buxton service which was introduced when the TPE services were diverted via Victoria.

Agreed - would be a total backwards step that would blow a hole in any prospect of modest infrastructure investment in the north for years to come.

The principle of TPE services via the Chord is sound and has yielded benefits. The executation just needs more work.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Then Chester gets clogged up again with another layover service.

It's already got the Leeds, Liverpool's, crew shuttles and pic via Stockport services in the bays at various times. So a 5th service into 3 bays isn't going to work. The east junction would need a complete remodeling to cope, and/or another bay added at that end.
Though, in the scenario I think you're responding to, the Chester-Crewe would become a through service from Llandudno. No net change in the number of terminating services as compared to now, though the fact they're all coming from the Mickle Trafford direction doesn't help, given the east junction layout.

Nevermind that you've now took a reliable service and given it to a very unreliable company, and added another change of train to passengers from north Wales. So they go from having a direct service to now having to do 2 changes to get to the airport.
Agreed. (Though some here would crow about through services to Crewe again!)

I wonder how many people here have remembered that TfW are planning to reorganise their services in two years' time, when thinking about which services they'd like to redirect where? (Liverpool-Llandudno/Shrewsbury, Manchester-Bangor, and Holyhead-Birmingham/Cardiff)

Chester1

Established Member
Plus far, far too long a journey time impact in reaching Victoria vice Piccadilly. Will have nobody on it.

Should be kept via Castlefield as it is a through electric service with 1/3 and 2/3 doors, which is what is needed.

This is not an exercise in crayoning trains over 'rare' routes for enthusiast interest.

With the current infrastructure, the idea of sending anything via Denton to Manchester Victoria is not feasible or practical. The journey time from Stockport to Manchester Victoria is too uncompetitive.

Sending TfW Cardiff trains that way would mean an additional unit is required relative to running into Piccadilly. Is that a good use of that rolling stock?

Four of them can't go to any other route.

I agree that long distance services should not be diverted by Denton but there should be an hourly DMU service between Stockport and Victoria by diverting a service that currently goes to Piccadilly. It would need the double sections extending a bit and some track being relaid for faster speeds but it shouldn't take much money to get a 20 minute journey time. With an increased focus on Victoria there should be better links between it, Stockport and lines to the south.

Is the whole reason for diverting the TfW service away from Piccadilly not to free up paths on that route? If so if you could remove 2 Northern services (the Southport to Alderley Edge and Liverpool to Crewe) would this not be enough)? I know the TfW service uses end door stock but that won't be an issue once the new trains arrive.

Timetabling means its one but not both. I would switch the Southport service and the TfW service and run both through to Stalybridge. That would mean no additional services terminating at Victoria.

From a connectivity viewpoint, it probably makes sense for half hourly Chester - Manchester services to alternate between Victoria and Piccadilly.

What really clogs up Castlefield unnecessarily is Manchester Airport - Leeds services running via Victoria. These should run via Guide Bridge and reverse - and could connect with Chester trains at Piccadilly. The Ordsall Curve slots should be given to Calder Valley trains giving passengers from Rochdale, Halifax and Bradford connections to the south (Stockport, Crewe, South Wales, Birmingham, etc) at Piccadilly.

North TPE services reversing across the station throat would mean reversing the capacity increases since May 2018. For instance I don't think it would be practical to reduce Buxton back to 1tph. The 2tph of 4 coaches have good loadings.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I agree that long distance services should not be diverted by Denton but there should be an hourly DMU service between Stockport and Victoria by diverting a service that currently goes to Piccadilly. It would need the double sections extending a bit and some track being relaid for faster speeds but it shouldn't take much money to get a 20 minute journey time. With an increased focus on Victoria there should be better links between it, Stockport and lines to the south.

The money that would cost would still be better spent on making the Castlefield corridor itself work better.

Chester1

Established Member
The money that would cost would still be better spent on making the Castlefield corridor itself work better.

It would be loose change compared with any Castlefield works. No new points, just lengthen exisiting double track slightly and replacing some 40mph track with 60mph.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Isn't there a problem that the Chat Moss stopper and TfW North Wales service would conflict at Victoria with the TPE trains perhaps almost as badly as they do in the Castlefield Corridor?

Just moving services from one route to another doesn't solve the problem as well as taking difficult decisions and cutting services out altogether.
No, the TfW service would take the path through Victoria of the current Southport - Stalybridge service. That service might have to be cut back to Southport - Bolton to free the path.

The Chat Moss stopper already terminates at Victoria instead of Crewe for two hours in the evening, reversing in Victoria P3, which shows that there are paths available. The drawback is that the turnarounds at Victoria are only 5 minutes. Joining it to the Victoria - Stalybridge stopper would give the through service more recovery time.

The eastbound Stalybridge stopper currently departs Victoria 1 minute after the Chat Moss service arrives. The westbound would probably have to leave Stalybridge a few minutes later than now and run in between the TPE Edinburgh to Liverpool and Redcar to Airport.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Chat Moss stopper already terminates at Victoria instead of Crewe for two hours in the evening, reversing in Victoria P3, which shows that there are paths available.

Yes, it does and it seems feasible. However, in order to do so, the pattern of departure times and order of services on the Chat Moss line has to change so it isn't quite as simple as it looks.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Feels like not long ago that people insisted that everything had to go through Piccadilly (because nobody wanted to go to Victoria - e.g. the Angry Of Southport campaign). Now, people want to divert Piccadilly services to Victoria instead (even if that means a significant time penalty for passengers south of Stockport)? Confusing.

Personally, if you insist on having an hourly Stockport - Denton - Victoria service then it'd make more sense as an extension of a diesel service that already runs into Manchester from the west - which probably means the Llandudno service - since it can't be an electric service and it'd be a long diversion for passengers from places like Buxton/Sheffield getting into central Manchester - plus you'd then have the problem of splitting the Buxton/Sheffield service between two Manchester termini (which would be unattractive) - and any service from south of Stockport that runs via Denton would have to either terminate at Victoria from the east or extend it to somewhere else

At least extending the Llandudno service through to Stockport would keep an unnelectrified service on an unnelectrified line, remove the need for something terminating at Victoria and if there's only one unit at a time east of Victoria it'd avoid conflict on the single line bits through Denton.

But a Victoria - Stockport service isn't a priority IMHO (however much the track bashers may want it!).

If we had rail services run based on operational sensibilities rather than politics, I'd welcome a half hourly service from Chester to West Yorkshire, but you're going to get trouble if you try to meddle with entrenched operations.

The underlying question there is not about Redcar, but does Leeds need more or less than 2 tph to Manchester Airport? The fact that one train goes onwards to Redcar and another to Newcastle is irrelevant. I would say it should have a minimum of 2 tph to the airport, which is not a fantastic provision to begin with, when you put it in the context of services from the west.

Similarly, we can ask the same question about Liverpool and Preston:

Does Liverpool need 5 tph through the Castlefield Corridor? (2 to Oxford Rd, 2 to the airport and 1 to Nottingham?)

Does Preston need 4 tph through P13 & P14 (3 tph to the airport and 1 to Stockport)?

Should P14 be used for any trains heading to the east?

Should all TPE airport services go back to reversing in Piccadilly and what services would that action displace from the main shed?

The TfW extension to Leeds is an interesting one when put in the context of future NPR service provision. If Manchester-Leeds is to have 8 tph, perhaps one or two could start from Chester or North Wales.

Additionally, if we are to route more services to Victoria, could the Cardiff services be routed there to avoid Stockport-Piccadilly and come in to Manchester from the West?

Just my suggestions, but to answer your questions, I'd rather that the "map" was a lot simpler to reduce conflicts and make the timetable more resilient in the event of inevitable delays.

For example, if all Chat Moss services ran to Victoria, all "Chorley via Bolton" services ran to Piccadilly, all "other Bolton" services ran to Victoria, chop the Cleethorpes service at Piccadilly (so that all Airport services use 13/14), that kind of thing. Try to ensure that a place has all services departing from the same main station (rather than, e.g. Blackpool getting half its services from Pic and half from Vic). Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Aictos

Established Member
Feels like not long ago that people insisted that everything had to go through Piccadilly (because nobody wanted to go to Victoria - e.g. the Angry Of Southport campaign). Now, people want to divert Piccadilly services to Victoria instead (even if that means a significant time penalty for passengers south of Stockport)? Confusing.

Personally, if you insist on having an hourly Stockport - Denton - Victoria service then it'd make more sense as an extension of a diesel service that already runs into Manchester from the west - which probably means the Llandudno service - since it can't be an electric service and it'd be a long diversion for passengers from places like Buxton/Sheffield getting into central Manchester - plus you'd then have the problem of splitting the Buxton/Sheffield service between two Manchester termini (which would be unattractive) - and any service from south of Stockport that runs via Denton would have to either terminate at Victoria from the east or extend it to somewhere else

At least extending the Llandudno service through to Stockport would keep an unnelectrified service on an unnelectrified line, remove the need for something terminating at Victoria and if there's only one unit at a time east of Victoria it'd avoid conflict on the single line bits through Denton.

But a Victoria - Stockport service isn't a priority IMHO (however much the track bashers may want it!).

If we had rail services run based on operational sensibilities rather than politics, I'd welcome a half hourly service from Chester to West Yorkshire, but you're going to get trouble if you try to meddle with entrenched operations.

Just my suggestions, but to answer your questions, I'd rather that the "map" was a lot simpler to reduce conflicts and make the timetable more resilient in the event of inevitable delays.

For example, if all Chat Moss services ran to Victoria, all "Chorley via Bolton" services ran to Piccadilly, all "other Bolton" services ran to Victoria, chop the Cleethorpes service at Piccadilly (so that all Airport services use 13/14), that kind of thing. Try to ensure that a place has all services departing from the same main station (rather than, e.g. Blackpool getting half its services from Pic and half from Vic). Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Indeed, I don’t know why the Cleethopes to Manchester Airport doesn’t get cut back to Manchester Piccadilly.

Also instead of having two paths of Manchester Airport to Scotland via Bolton running 1tph to Glasgow and 1tph to Edinburgh why not run them as 2tph with a Edinburgh portion and a Glasgow portion splitting at Carstairs/Carlisle?

The paths stay the same but you’re making far more use of the paths as a 8 car train every half hour rather then a hourly 8 car.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Yes, it does and it seems feasible. However, in order to do so, the pattern of departure times and order of services on the Chat Moss line has to change so it isn't quite as simple as it looks.
Yes, the timings of the Liverpool - Victoria services are a few minutes different from the Liverpool - Crewes and the eastbound Victoria services are overtaken by a TPE at Huyton. But journey times between Lime Steet and Eccles are much the same, so I do not see why this is an issue? What works in one hour should work in others.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also instead of having two paths of Manchester Airport to Scotland via Bolton running 1tph to Glasgow and 1tph to Edinburgh why not run them as 2tph with a Edinburgh portion and a Glasgow portion splitting at Carstairs/Carlisle?

The paths stay the same but you’re making far more use of the paths as a 8 car train every half hour rather then a hourly 8 car.

Er, they have five car trains now for that route - enough to run hourly - coupled 5-car units don't fit at the Airport.

The path is occupied on the opposite side of the hour.

Indeed, I don’t know why the Cleethopes to Manchester Airport doesn’t get cut back to Manchester Piccadilly.

Presumably the same reason any other service doesn't get cut back - because the operators sense demand for that service.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

I completely agree with your last statement. It is trumpeted that there were to be 6 tph to Leeds, now 5. But Leeds has 5 TPE tph to Manchester, but Manchester’s busiest station just has 3.

Greybeard33

Established Member
There are no paths available to terminate a service from the Denton line at Stockport. It would have to cross both Fast lines to get to the P3a bay, which would kill capacity through Stockport.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, the timings of the Liverpool - Victoria services are a few minutes different from the Liverpool - Crewes and the eastbound Victoria services are overtaken by a TPE at Huyton. But journey times between Lime Steet and Eccles are much the same, so I do not see why this is an issue? What works in one hour should work in others.

Ironically, the most obvious reason explaining the two hours when it runs to Victoria is that TfW have a second path through to Piccadilly. The main impact at Victoria is that the Edinburgh to Liverpool train has to use platform 4 rather than 3.

It seems to work but does need perturbation of Wigan services at Lime Street.

Aictos

Established Member
Presumably the same reason any other service doesn't get cut back - because the operators sense demand for that service.

However there is plenty of other services that people can use in fact at the moment there is 10tph off peak on a average weekday between Piccadilly and the Airport so curtailing the Cleethorpes to Airport service to Piccadilly not only makes that service more reliable by not running to the airport but there is already 9tph that people can use instead.

In any case, any time that service is disrupted it tends to be turnbacked at Piccadilly so why not make it permament?

As to the North Wales services, why can't they turnback using Platform 5 at Manchester Oxford Road? I see there's a xx:16 Northern departure to Liverpool Lime Street then nothing until the xx:35 Northern arrival from Liverpool Lime Street so surely they could fit in a TfW to arrive at xx:20 and depart at xx:30? Those timings are off peak btw.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As to the North Wales services, why can't they turnback using Platform 5 at Manchester Oxford Road? I see there's a xx:16 Northern departure to Liverpool Lime Street then nothing until the xx:35 Northern arrival from Liverpool Lime Street so surely they could fit in a TfW to arrive at xx:20 and depart at xx:30? Those timings are off peak btw

Firstly, platform 5 is part of the problem in the Castlefield corridor as trains departing conflict with those going towards Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

Secondly, a ten minute turnaround for a long distance train is likely to be incompatible with the planning rules.

Finally, if the TfW train were to run late, the arrival from Liverpool would be stuck with no platform to use.

Esker-pades

Established Member
However there is plenty of other services that people can use in fact at the moment there is 10tph off peak on a average weekday between Piccadilly and the Airport so curtailing the Cleethorpes to Airport service to Piccadilly not only makes that service more reliable by not running to the airport but there is already 9tph that people can use instead.

In any case, any time that service is disrupted it tends to be turnbacked at Piccadilly so why not make it permament?

As to the North Wales services, why can't they turnback using Platform 5 at Manchester Oxford Road? I see there's a xx:16 Northern departure to Liverpool Lime Street then nothing until the xx:35 Northern arrival from Liverpool Lime Street so surely they could fit in a TfW to arrive at xx:20 and depart at xx:30? Those timings are off peak btw.
Currently, the service from North Wales arrives at XX:50, and the one to North Wales departs at XX:56. Five minutes is really not enough.

Firstly, platform 5 is part of the problem in the Castlefield corridor as trains departing conflict with those going towards Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

Secondly, a ten minute turnaround for a long distance train is likely to be incompatible with the planning rules.

Finally, if the TfW train were to run late, the arrival from Liverpool would be stuck with no platform to use.
In the current timetable, there are gaps such that an XX:56 departure wouldn't be problematic (if everything runs to time, which it doesn't).

Class 170101

Established Member
...and a conflict at Stockport, single line working via Denton, a non-electrified route and there isn't capacity at Victoria. They aren't ordering enough 769s and they would have less capacity than a 6-331 formation. Complete non-starter.

What do you suggest then? As for the Class 331s wasn't someone suggesting something about batteries for Windermere? Why not use those same batteries to run via Denton as well? I'll answer your Stockport point further down

There are no paths available to terminate a service from the Denton line at Stockport. It would have to cross both Fast lines to get to the P3a bay, which would kill capacity through Stockport.

I wouldn't be terminating these services at Stockport as they carry on to Alderley Edge / Hazel Grove so that issue shouldn't arise.

The question that no one wants to answer is what service they would axe through Castlefield Corridor.

My reason for diverting the Southport to Alderley Edge and the Hazel Grove to Blackpool North as I see it is that politically diverting these services away from Piccadilly will NOT be as controversial as diverting Welsh services away from Manchester Airport. The Welsh Assembly have fought for those and have only just got them into the timetable. It will not go down well if they are withdrawn and be seen as the English sticking two fingers upto the Welsh. As where as more local services whilst politically causing issues as @thbc above pointed out won't be as politically a hot potato as a cross border 'dispute'.

Locally yes it could improve services at Reddish South and Denton too and as far as I can tell none of the section from Victoria to Stockport via Denton is single track (unless anyone knows otherwise).

Plus far, far too long a journey time impact in reaching Victoria vice Piccadilly. Will have nobody on it.

Should be kept via Castlefield as it is a through electric service with 1/3 and 2/3 doors, which is what is needed.

This is not an exercise in crayoning trains over 'rare' routes for enthusiast interest.

It has nothing to do with crayons or anything like that, merely a less politically sensitive and hopefully practical way to resolve Castlefield Corridor capacity issues.

Whilst I accept there may be problems at Stockport with the crossing moves I would be surprised if these are worse than Castlefield corridor. It should also be pointed out that commuters are easier to handle than people with luggage going to an airport. If these commuters are desperate to go to Piccadilly vice Victoria then changing at Salford Crescent or Manchester Victoria for services to Piccadilly shouldn't be too difficult. Unfortunately there is insufficient capacity across the whole network for everyone to have a service from everywhere to everywhere else.

Again I respectfully suggest what would you cull instead?

Agree with VT 390 who has picked one of my suggestions and a different one which is worthy of discussion.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Would anything longer than a 2 car 175 fit in platform 5?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Ironically, the most obvious reason explaining the two hours when it runs to Victoria is that TfW have a second path through to Piccadilly.
Hmm, except that, in the 17xx hour, TfW have extras both to and from Piccadilly, yet the Northern services continue running through Oxford Road both to and from Crewe!

This does beg the question as to the fate of those TfW extras if the "normal" TfW services get diverted to Stalybridge. At Piccadilly, the extras interwork with the "normal" services. In both directions, the extras are timed very close to the Northern Chester/Ellesmere Port - Victoria/Leeds services, but of course the Ellesmere Port services do not serve Chester.

craigybagel

Established Member
Instead of all these wildly awkward crayonista ideas with a variety of different flaws, you could just, you know, leave things the way they are.... It all just sounds like numerous solutions looking for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.