• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
Just 2 pairs

(607/608)
5W00 04+40 Lovers Walk to Brighton
1W00 05.10 Brighton to Bedford
1J97 07.58 Bedford to Elephant & Castle
5E97 09+12 Elephant & Castle to Bellingham CHS
3E69 10+10 Bellingham CHS to Elephant & Castle
1G69 10.34 Elephant & Castle to Bedford
1W31 12.10 Bedford to Brighton
1W88 15.05 Brighton to Bedford
1W53 17.34 Bedford to Brighton
1W64 20.33 Brighton to Bedford
5W64 23+15 Bedford to Bedford CS

(609/610)
5G90 07+00 Bedford CS to Bedford
1H91 07.12 Bedford to Beckenham Junction
1G84 08.41 Beckenham Junction to Bedford
1J99 10.20 Bedford to Elephant & Castle
5E99 11+32 Elephant & Castle to Bellingham CHS
3E73 16+00 Bellingham CHS to Elephant & Castle
1G73 16.22 Elephant & Castle to Bedford
5G25 17+40 Bedford to Bedford (via North Siding)
2V25 17.54 Bedford to Sutton
2V26 20.12 Sutton to Bedford
1W73 22.22 Bedford to Brighton
5W73 01+14 Bedford to Lovers Walk

Yeah, that's my service 1W41! :D

Will make a big change from the manky pacers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
I had a couple of good ones a couple of weeks ago, one had a horn icon on the left screen and in the right it said take care as many slippery surfaces, on a bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky!
The other, all the PIS said do not board this train it is not in service, throughout the journey!

That's caused by drivers playing pis messages then not clearing them off the screens.

phoenixcronin

Earlier today (can't remember the unit) the doors closed at City Thameslink and the door closing chime kept beeping all the way till Blackfriars

bengley

Established Member
That's caused by drivers playing pis messages then not clearing them off the screens.

Indeed, but in fairness the messages should clear off themselves after a set time or after the next auto announcement. It's a silly system.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's a silly system.

It's fuggered beyond belief.

We are still waiting any instruction on how to use it properly other then input a journey number and even then we only discovered that by playing with it. It was alleged that we were going to get a proper PIS manual but nothing has appeared as yet.

Driver in the crew room today was saying how his totally went up the creek on him this morning. They gave him an 'emergency code' (no idea) but that was also refused. MASDO MASDO MASDO MASDO FASDO FASDO.... HEHEHE it was his first day back after leave too <D

tsr

Established Member
A couple of very poorly 700s this evening with power difficulties, including 2W46 sitting down for over half an hour whilst trying to head northbound at City Thameslink. Luckily it got moving without assistance and could be dumped in Smithfield Sidings.

On the plus side, it does seem that the emergency PIS functions not only exist but that they're much better than pretty much any other traction, as they detect and display/announce the current station call as soon as the doors are released, without a specific stopping pattern. Can't think of any other stock which will do that automatically without a route specified.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Is the PIS made by Siemens or is it one that they purchase from another company?

The name of the system is called Televic iCoM and the same system is being fitted to the IEP stock.

Other UK and Ireland Experience:
Class 221 - Radio System, Voice Comms, Control Systems
Class 222 - SDO, Voice Comms, Control Systems
Class 380 - On Board Network, Voice Comms, Info Management
Class 390 - Radio System
Class 700 - PIS, LEDs, TFTS, LiveComs
Class 707 - PIS, LEDs, TFTS, LiveComs
Class 717 - PIS, LEDs, TFTS, LiveComs
Class 800 - PIS, LED Displays, Seat Reservations, LiveCom
Class 801 - PIS, LED Displays, Seat Reservations, LiveCom
Class 802 - PIS, LED Displays, Seat Reservations, LiveCom
Original DLR - Voice Comms, Displays, Announcements
New DLR - Voice Comms, Displays, Announcements, Cab Radio
Class 4000 NIR - PIS, On Board Network, Info Management
Class 8100 DART - PIS, Voicecomms

Among many many more all over the world:
http://www.televic-rail.com/en/references

bengley

Established Member
It's an incredibly inflexible system unfortunately. On 377s we are able to amend the stopping pattern however on the 700s you can only skip the next station - there should be a way of adding and removing stops where required.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's an incredibly inflexible system unfortunately. On 377s we are able to amend the stopping pattern however on the 700s you can only skip the next station - there should be a way of adding and removing stops where required.

Its very unintuitive. IS a 377 like a 376 (Mitrac ?) The Mitrac is very good and has a friendly and intuitive UI. The PIS can be amended at a click and quickly and efficiently (other than removing the final destination)

I feel that the 700 PIS appears to be more of an afterthought. Its very much a backward step on a unit that is pushing forward with tech.

westcoaster

Established Member
Its very unintuitive. IS a 377 like a 376 (Mitrac ?) The Mitrac is very good and has a friendly and intuitive UI. The PIS can be amended at a click and quickly and efficiently (other than removing the final destination)

I feel that the 700 PIS appears to be more of an afterthought. Its very much a backward step on a unit that is pushing forward with tech.

Yes mitrac is the same, the 700 one is very basic, it's alright once you figure it out, with trial and error.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I am as a passenger pritty mad to hear you guys are still wating for a handbook or training, what the heck are we paying for? They might have overlooked pritty much every passenger cumfort and convenience on the cattle trucks but I would have thought that at least those who have to work on them would have been thought of, it would seam not.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I remember those vividly, in particular the 1986 (the first?) one. Hell at a fiver for a day's unlimited travel anywhere in the south east of England, who wouldn't remember it!! ;)

A fiver? They started off at only £3 didn't they?

Meanwhile... apparently the latest delivery is, or will be, 700 128 and this is the 70th of the fleet to arrive. So only another 45 still to come...

MrCub

Fun tonight. 12 car 700s stopping at Elstree, Hendon on the fast lines with platforms too that are too short.

tsr

Established Member
Fun tonight. 12 car 700s stopping at Elstree, Hendon on the fast lines with platforms too that are too short.

They have full SDO down to the resolution of each door (or, rather, half-coach, but the same from a passenger's viewpoint). If it works and the PIS is announcing it, that should be fine.

lev441

Why didn't they extend all the platforms? Presume it was to save money but as a user from Elstree, I seem to always to get on trains that are stopping on the fast lanes! Mill Hill broadway was extended on all platforms!

BelleIsle

Why didn't they extend all the platforms? Presume it was to save money but as a user from Elstree, I seem to always to get on trains that are stopping on the fast lanes! Mill Hill broadway was extended on all platforms!

Hendon is hemmed in at both ends. Not only would be the cost be prohibitive but the push back from the locals when you temporarily had to closes the bridges would be huge. That is before you get to the problem of diverting utilities of which there are plenty.

Since all Hendon trains tend to serve Crickelwood it was deemed a waste of effort to lengthen its platforms.

Then there is Brent Cross Thameslink. If it ever gets built it would be 12 car from day one. Why extend the above if a new station may be coming? The railway would like to close both of them in such case but Brent Council has other ideas.

Finally, there is the Wimbledon/Sutton services. Since political intervention stopped the original plan of terminating them at Blackfriars they have to go somewhere north of the river. Being limited to 8 cars it make sense not to lengthen any stations served almost exclusively by them. As an Elstree user you should be getting some extra services which are Mill Hill->West Hampstead-Pancake because of this.

Last edited:

Yes, doesn't make sense why Elstree, being the busiest station on the slow line between Radlett and Cricklewood didn't have all four extended when Mill Hill did. Plus there was enough space at the southern end of the platforms to extend all four.

Considering that in 2018 Radlett, Elstree and Mill Hill will all get fast services that might need to occasionally use the fast lines, why weren't all four platforms extended at these three stations?

spark001uk

Established Member
Fun at Pancras just now, 2W63 Sat outside platform for 10 mins, guy on platform as he passed me said "someone's crossed the signals". It actually turns out a pair of 319s (2O31) halted in the tunnel between there and Farringdon for some reason. Not quite sure what the platform bod meant by what he said though! Or why the halfway aspect was red on an empty platform? Unless the 319s didn't clear the section fully, I couldn't really see that far.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

My 12 car home on Sunday was turned into an all stations, no problem at all. That's what SDO is for.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Unsure if this post fits here or would be better in the Allocations, Diagrams, & Timetables section.

Regarding the Peterborough and Cambridge Thameslink trains, they will converge at St Pancras with the trains from Bedford and Luton.

Will this end up with similar problems as to how the London Underground Bakerloo Line had in the 1970s when they had the Metropolitan Railway's Stanmore Branch, that eventually led to congestion at Baker Street? This led to the Stanmore Branch being split off from the Bakerloo to become part of the Fleet Line - the present day Jubilee Line.

EMD

Of course it will therefore I predict that in less than a decade underground STP will get another set of platforms (which it should have had from the get go)

bramling

Veteran Member
Unsure if this post fits here or would be better in the Allocations, Diagrams, & Timetables section.

Regarding the Peterborough and Cambridge Thameslink trains, they will converge at St Pancras with the trains from Bedford and Luton.

Will this end up with similar problems as to how the London Underground Bakerloo Line had in the 1970s when they had the Metropolitan Railway's Stanmore Branch, that eventually led to congestion at Baker Street? This led to the Stanmore Branch being split off from the Bakerloo to become part of the Fleet Line - the present day Jubilee Line.

Course it will - but wait for one of the usual suspects to appear and tell you that Thameslink Programme is so so different from anything that has gone before and everything will be wonderful. Reality is it's already falling apart even before the 24tph has started. The decision to start having a flirtation with the South Eastern Division (i.e. Rainham) is an example of how the powers that be are starting to realise things are unrealistic.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Some pretty severe issues showing on the Underground status board on 700002 this morning - until I checked the date in the bottom corner - 30th July. Surely after a year in service something could be implemented to inhibit that screen if it can't retrieve the data feed after a certain amount of time has elapsed...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Of course it will therefore I predict that in less than a decade underground STP will get another set of platforms (which it should have had from the get go)

I don't believe there is physically space to add additional platforms at St Pancras Low Level.

Status
Not open for further replies.