• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Trainee Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumbo

It's at the old first capital building......

Why do you want to be a train driver!? What do you know about the company!? What announcements are expected of a driver!? That's all I remember

Thanks Joey :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What's the story with people selecting talent pool or DD and is this instead of the actual trainee driver position?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pompy

Thanks Joey :)
What's the story with people selecting talent pool or DD and is this instead of the actual trainee driver position?

Thanks

Everybody has applied for actual trainee driver position however if successful in ALL STAGES you still may get put in the talent pool as there is a shortage of driver trainers so it's a wait for the courses. Some may be offered a DD Position instead. Nobody is selecting these positions, you may get a trainee driver course ,talent pool or DD . Hope that helps .

Sikes 88

I passed all the stages with FGW about 18 months ago but I couldn't start the course. I applied to govia for the Kings cross position and was told i have to do Dfft then interview. I take it interview means dm interview

Maverick55

I've been invited to an assessment day for the role of Trainee Depot Operations Controller at the new depot at Three Bridges. I know what the job involves, and i am pleased it includes driving trains albeit only at the depot, but also controlling trains.

What i did want to know however was if annual salary increases gradually as it does with train drivers - which was my original choice. I just couldn't turn down an opportunity to work so heavily with trains at just the right moment in my life. As it's always been a passion. Starting salary is said to ne around £23,000 p.a rising to around £37,000 upon completion of training. But as Depot Operations Controller is there any room for promotion? Is the pay similar and does ot increase at the rate a train drivers pay does?

Many thanks

Chamber

Question on pay, time scale etc. The vacancy was displayed as a trainee train driver. Would that be for mainline? what is the timescale of training and how does the pay relate to the different stages?
Thanks

TomHaley

Question on pay, time scale etc. The vacancy was displayed as a trainee train driver. Would that be for mainline? what is the timescale of training and how does the pay relate to the different stages?
Thanks

If it's trainee train driver then it would be mainline, basically you'd be on just shy of £24k then after roughly 14 months of training you should be fully qualified which means you'd go on to £47k, there's no gradual increase.

Skyblumatt

At the wish of repeating the above, be grateful also for HR email
Came back from hols to offer of medical dates that I missed.
If anyone can supply I'd be most grateful

Sikes 88

Hi all. I have got my assessment on Monday. I'm looking for a few pieces of advice. What tests will be undertaken on the day. How long until you find out the results. What are the next steps
Has anyone else got a dm interview coming up?

Mumbo

Hi all. I have got my assessment on Monday. I'm looking for a few pieces of advice. What tests will be undertaken on the day. How long until you find out the results. What are the next steps
Has anyone else got a dm interview coming up?

All the info you need can be found on this forum.

I cant recall the exact order but think it was

GBT (dots - paper based)
Dials test
GLOP test (retention of information)
Fault Finding
Tones test followed by the phone book/tone test.

They were split into 3 sessions on the day (may differ on yours) and if you didn't make the grade after each session you were sent home.

Speed and accuracy is what they are looking for. I would say accuracy is ranked above speed but you cant hang about either.

If you get through this you'll be heading to Watford for Stage 2

see link for further info http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112516

followed by the DM interview if you make it through that ordeal.

Good luck!

Bucko

Hi all. Had an email yesterday saying I will be invited to an assessment day. I originally applied Feb 5th. The details will be arriving thru the post imminently. Thing is, Im away on hols May22 - June2, if it falls within that period would I be able to attend a different day or would it be tough luck ? Cheers.

332 > 444

Anyone know if Thameslink are likely to fill all the needed trainee positions from these recruitment drives? Or is there a possibility of another round of recruitment?

I would contact GTR but can't see a recruitment email.

According to railstaff article, they require around 190 drivers so I'm sure their drive ain't over, hopefully.

TomHaley

Hi all. Had an email yesterday saying I will be invited to an assessment day. I originally applied Feb 5th. The details will be arriving thru the post imminently. Thing is, Im away on hols May22 - June2, if it falls within that period would I be able to attend a different day or would it be tough luck ? Cheers.

Best bet will be to wait until the date comes through and either reply to the email you've had or ring them to confirm.

l0c0m0t1ve

Anyone heard anything bk regarding dates for dm interviews or assessments

It's been almost 2 weeks since I received the letter saying I was successful at all stages and interviews were being set up. But nothing else so far.

Mumbo

Heard back from GTR today. Have got my medical on the 21 April with a start date of the 18th May providing all is well with the check up.

:D

Bucko

Hi All

I am attending first stage assessment tomorrow in London, anyone else the same? Just a couple of routine q's ....... If successful after each stage, how long would you expect to be there for? I know they provide tea / coffee but what happens for food/lunch? And finally, I assume you would wear suit / shirt & tie, is that correct?

Regards

dglondon

Hi All

I am attending first stage assessment tomorrow in London, anyone else the same? Just a couple of routine q's ....... If successful after each stage, how long would you expect to be there for? I know they provide tea / coffee but what happens for food/lunch? And finally, I assume you would wear suit / shirt & tie, is that correct?

Regards

When I did it in December all of us who passed everything were finished by around 4pm (although I did hear that some groups who attended earlier days finished a bit earlier than that).

We had lunch provided (sandwiches, crisps, juice, etc) and yes, suit, shirt & tie is the order of the day!.

One of the most important things however is to remember the NI & ID proof that they ask you to bring. Somebody forgot their NI details and was told no NI proof, no assessment ! (luckily though he managed to get somebody at home to take a photo of it and send it through to him, which they accepted).

Last edited:

320D

Hi anyone heard any news? I have been waiting patiently for over two weeks for the dm interview. Heard nothing so far apart from the acknowledgement that I passed mmi

train_spotter

Hi Guys just a quick question, whilst waiting for a DM interview, do HR send you a letter to your home address of let you know by email?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.