• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Cambrian Coast Express 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Hi - I note that in the 'Christmas Card' just received from West Coast Railways, there is no mention of 'The Cambrian' as 'coming soon' for 2012 - altho' 'Scarboro' Spa Express is mentioned and 'The Jacobite' is booking now - does anyone know if there is confirmation that The Cambrian will not run?
It has also disapeared from WCRC website - last time I looked it was there as 'looking forward to 2012'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think it has been confirmed yet. There has been little in the railway press recently about a way of having a portable ERTMS system

EltonRoad

The Jacobite is again running two trains a day during June, July and August 2012. This year they were able to do that by using the redundant loco+stock from The Cambrian, so the fact they're doing it again next year at least suggests The Cambrian may not be running.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The Jacobite is again running two trains a day during June, July and August 2012. This year they were able to do that by using the redundant loco+stock from The Cambrian, so the fact they're doing it again next year at least suggests The Cambrian may not be running.

Yes, that's true - I missed that. Doesn't look hopeful for the Cambrian, then.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would like to do that Cambrian, suspect there may be delays with new signaling etc., So maybe it will be 2013 now?

Swr28

No decision has been made on 2012, as previous posters have said no ertms means no access to the Cambrian. However they are trying to obtain some kind of portable device to be used on the loco if that is possible with ertms.

I do think there are other parts of the Welsh rail network that would be a nice alternative for summer 'steam specials' the Heart of Wales line and the Conwy Valley line spring to mind.

Swr28

The following is in the current issue of Railway Herald:

To the great disappointment of many, West Coast will not be operating the popular high season 'Cambrian' steam workings this year, as the problem of finding suitable portable ERTMS kit has still not been resolved. Network Rail indicate that finding a solution to applying ERTMS to steam traction is 'more complex than it looks', and the company appear to have passed the mantle to West Coast to project manage a solution, hopefully in time for a return of steam operations in 2013 to one of the most scenic routes in the land. No doubt one of the underlying problems seems to be that Network Rail and its contractors, Ansaldo, underestimated the complexity of converting the route in the first place, which has been clearly evident by the resultant problems experienced by Cambrian line services since ERTMS was fully commissioned in March 2011.

the sniper

Established Member
I've never seen the Ansaldo name connected to anything that wasn't a failure or crap.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
It would appear that just about everything to do with ETRMS has been underestimated in terms of its complexity!
Very sad that there is no steam on the Cambrian again, but I must admit that I'm not surprised.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It would appear that just about everything to do with ETRMS has been underestimated in terms of its complexity!
Very sad that there is no steam on the Cambrian again, but I must admit that I'm not surprised.

beer cans getting blown into Axle Counters and late running London Midland trains into Shrewsbury have both been causes of delay recently neither of which are anything to do with ERTMS "problems".

Its become very fashionable to blame any delay on ERTMS hasn't it? I take it the rest of UK doesn't want it.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
beer cans getting blown into Axle Counters and late running London Midland trains into Shrewsbury have both been causes of delay recently neither of which are anything to do with ERTMS "problems".

Its become very fashionable to blame any delay on ERTMS hasn't it? I take it the rest of UK doesn't want it.

I certainly don't mean to put all delays down to ERTMS, after all I don't know much about it, but I do think that there have been many examples, both in the Rail industry and particularly outside it where new technologies (eg software design) has led to far more problems than expected....

Status
Not open for further replies.