• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dottypea

Just got the best Xmas present too, start date for the 11th Jan for Three Bridges!

Hard work begins now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spud

Congratulations guys!

Been following this thread for a while. Out of curiosity, when did you have your medical & final interviews? Had my medical in October & desperately hoping my start date is coming soon!

D_york19

January 11th for me as well. Found out just after lunchtime today, absolutely delighted!

Spud

Congratulations guys!

Desperatly hoping I'll get the call tomorrow with a start date. Would be the best Christmas present :D

Matt K

Matt K,
How has your first week been?

Hi mate. First week was good. I know all courses are different due to trainers etc but we did company polices on drugs and alcohol and then PTS. All 8 of us passed. Seems a lot to learn when you first see it but when broken down its ok!

Great news on new courses being allocated. All I've been told is lack of classroom trainers is a problem so they have to wait until a trainer passes a class out to be a learner drivers and then they become free for the next class.
Our trainer is from an external company so shows the shortage.

Really enjoyable tho and interesting when like me you start from s position of knowing nothing!!!

Wallicio

Our trainer is from an external company so shows the shortage.!!!

Thanks for the update Matt and glad your enjoying it.
External trainers are a very good sign for those of us still in the pool.
Happy days ??????

Traintobe

No, have You?
Also do you know where training will be, I think induction is at Kentish town

Dottypea

No not yet. Going to call in a bit, as I need to hand my notice in on Wednesday next week in order to give sufficient time and I'm not doing that without seeing the contract.

No, no idea where training will be. I know it used to be done at Selhurst , but I don't know if it still is.

Last edited:

D_york19

Traintobe or D_york19 have you had the contract emailed to you yet?

I was told on the phone yesterday that it would be sent through before the end of next week. Knowing where the induction/training is would definitely be helpful as well.

465fan

I want to be pleased for people but seeing those who had Driver Manager interviews in October are leapfrogging people from May, June, July and August and getting in when we're all kicked to the curb is really disappointing. Can't see this being a remotely happy Christmas.

Dave999

It's a combination of which depot applied for and how high scored in DMI. The managers write on the interview form how highly recommended you are.

Wallicio

It's a combination of which depot applied for and how high scored in DMI. The managers write on the interview form how highly recommended you are.

I have heard this scoring terminology on ere before.

So hypothetically....

You could be the first person to enter the pool, but if others who entered after you who want the same depot as you scored higher than you, they would be offered positions before you?

D_york19

sorry, I meant which depot?

My bad, Three Bridges for me as well. Definitely meant to say that in the original message
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Congratulations guys!

Been following this thread for a while. Out of curiosity, when did you have your medical & final interviews? Had my medical in October & desperately hoping my start date is coming soon!

Compared to some, it's all happened pretty quickly for me. I had my two assessments in September, then DMI and medical in October as well. Definitely thought I'd be waiting until at least May sometime. What depot did you apply for?

Dave999

I have heard this scoring terminology on ere before.

So hypothetically....

You could be the first person to enter the pool, but if others who entered after you who want the same depot as you scored higher than you, they would be offered positions before you?

Yes that's right, only reason I know this is because I asked the question at my DMI and that's what they said. Good news is that everyone in the pool will get a position eventually.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Numbers mentioned were 106 drivers in training, around 45 are with drivers and the rest are still classroom based. Also I think they said around 50 were in the talent pool but I'm not certain on that figure.

Wallicio

Well done Dave for asking, TBF its not something that crossed my mind to ask in the first place. I simply asked at the interview .."what is the next step" to which they replied with I will be contacted etc, got given October as a look to month and was asked if I had any holiday this year yadda yadda.

Would have been interesting to see if it was a scored DMI what my score was. Just to compare, I see on another thread talks of scores in a phone interview?

Guess the main thing is whatever the score, it was a pass, and that's all that really matters.

Dave999

I just asked if successful what's the timescale to be placed on a course and they gave me all the information, then I asked if in the talent pool will I definitely get a position and that's when they said yes but it's done by recommendation from the mangers to recruitment. 12 months is what they hope is the max time a candidate is in the pool for.

332 > 444

I'm sure Three Bridges was a separate recruitment drive anyway, when looking at the job posting, it had a lower qualified wage compared to the ex FCC depots.

Dave999, does the DMI still consist of questions like how do you move off from a red signal on a gradient etc.....basically the same as l0c0m0t1ve's posting in a thread not too long ago?

465fan

I recall having what the DM called "the best interview he'd ever had"... So I would be surprised if I wasn't at the top in a non-big-headed way.

Pepperami

Here is a post regarding "Talent Pools" from a very well respected member on this forum, the thing I like about this guy is he is honest and doesn't sugar coat anything, he will tell you how it is whether you want to hear it or not :)

A word of advice regarding talent pools, you need to ask the question on how many people have been in talent pools to see the company they are waiting for re-recruit for trainee drivers and not contact them.

As mentioned before, there have been occasions when companies place potential candidates into a so called "talent pool" (I hate this phrase), re-recruit, find that the candidates applying are a better choice than the ones in the talent pools and employ them, the reason that anyone goes into a talent pool in the first place if vacancies are filled is that they didn't reach the quality grade of the individuals that got the jobs.

Sorry if you don't like this but it is better to post facts rather than what you think happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.