• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the Increasingly Frustrating Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
From the Thameslink Website This Evening.........
We've had plenty of reminders that any pooling water in Clerkenwell tunnels has to be reported to the signaller immediately. They don't want a repeat...

STPBTN

It's actually been OK - no major disruption and my longest delay was about 10 minutes. This is based on travelling into London every day. Their performance feels to have improved significantly since before Christmas. I hope I haven't jinxed anything but for my journies at least it feels like we're back where we were when FCC shut up shop.

Just this week I was thinking of how good the service has been for the last couple of weeks! During this monthly season ticket, I've only claimed for one delay repay - in the previous period, I claimed for six or seven.

jon0844

Veteran Member
We've had plenty of reminders that any pooling water in Clerkenwell tunnels has to be reported to the signaller immediately. They don't want a repeat...

Anyone on a 319 fancy pouring some water out of a window as another train passes to see what happens?

<D

FlippyFF

Had a 'fast' 319 run from Sutton (15:30) to Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, St. Pancras (where I left it) and it was then due fast to St Albans. Driver said something about a fire in the Belsize Tunnel?

Class377/5

Established Member
Had a 'fast' 319 run from Sutton (15:30) to Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, St. Pancras (where I left it) and it was then due fast to St Albans. Driver said something about a fire in the Belsize Tunnel?

HST with dragging brakes.

21C101

Established Member
What was wrong with the 06:34 Cl 387 (aka Torqemada express) from Bedford this morning. Driver announced in Elstree tunnel that the brakes were not working properly and we would be chucked out at West Hamsptead. But then carried on at 100mph and made a quite normal brake application to stop at West Hampstead where we were expelled?

Class377/5

Established Member
What was wrong with the 06:34 Cl 387 (aka Torqemada express) from Bedford this morning. Driver announced in Elstree tunnel that the brakes were not working properly and we would be chucked out at West Hamsptead. But then carried on at 100mph and made a quite normal brake application to stop at West Hampstead where we were expelled?

Minor unit fault. Driver was correct, just not the stopping brake.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Am I a Thameslink jinx ?
One of the rare occasions I travel in to work by train and on the return journey the 14:36 ex-Farringdon sits at Kentish Town for 20 minutes. Apparently a points failure South of West Hampstead.

Established Member
387s on at least some of the overnight services now to make it an even more rancid experience than normal....

RJ

Established Member
I quite like the 387s (and by extension, the 377/6s) myself. Comfortable and airy, plus the plug sockets are a nice touch.

Aictos

Established Member
387s on at least some of the overnight services now to make it an even more rancid experience than normal....

Nothing wrong with the 387 fleet, at least they have CCTV and power plugs unlike the 319s which I don't think the 319 fleet has.

Minstral25

Established Member
Thameslink have announced two late evening rush hour trains from Blackfriars to Three Bridges will call additionally at Redhill from next week, plus some additional stops at Hassocks.

This evening the 17:40 Blackfriars - Bedford (which calls at all the main stations plus West Hampstead, Mill Hill, Radlett & Elstree) was put into platform 2 at 17:33, even though the following 17:36 (which doesn't call additionally at West Hampstead, Mill Hill, Radlett & Elstree) was showing as on time.

The 17:40 thus waited in the platform for 7 minutes, with hardly anyone wanting to board it (they were waiting for the 17:36), losing the 17:36 four minutes, which risked putting it into conflict with the following 17:52 fast.

Any ideas why the signaller had such a brain aneurysm, when it would have been perfectly possible to hold the 17:40 outside the station to let the 17:36 past (I understand there is a relief line for that purpose and seen it used in the past).

This shenanigans happens quite frequently, causing delay to the following trains.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Signaller errors happen all the time, often with no consequence, sometimes with minor consequences (like this) and sometimes with major consequences. It is not unusual for a London Bridge signaller to make an error that will cause delay to 100+ trains.

But - some signallers make hundreds of regulating decisions each shift. They might get one wrong every couple of months. That's actually a pretty good rate of accuracy, and one that I know I couldn't do.

I don't know the detail in this case. But the 1740 is booked to sit just outside a Blackfriars for 5 minutes while the 1736 overtakes it. Usually, the 1736 follows close behind the 1732 stopper from Sutton, which today was running late. So perhaps the signaller had in his/her mind that the stopper goes first, and sent the 1740 up thinking it was the 1732.

Minstral25

Established Member
I think the issue is too few signalmen to be able to look at decisions they make enough which cause these type of problems. I've thought for some time we need more in the powerbox to help regulate the service better and react in times of problems.

Similar issue waiting for the 6:24 Redhill to Bedford service most mornings. There is a 6:24 train to Reading as well which needs to move into platform 1a from the sidings across the Bedford service. It always reaches the signal by 6:18 waiting for 6:19 arrival into 1b. 6:19 arrives into platform daily on time or early. Reading train sits and waits before being given signal to move around 6:23 right in front of the Bedford service (now sitting just outside station too) which is then 3-4 minutes late leaving Redhill (as is 6:24 to Reading) before it gets signalled into the platform.

Nothing appears wrong on the ground and this is repeated daily. I assume it occurs as it awaits a signaller to set the route or confirm it. The signaller is probably busy with 4 or 5 such moves at the same time which he can't do.

Yabbadabba

I think the issue is too few signalmen to be able to look at decisions they make enough which cause these type of problems. I've thought for some time we need more in the powerbox to help regulate the service better and react in times of problems.

Similar issue waiting for the 6:24 Redhill to Bedford service most mornings. There is a 6:24 train to Reading as well which needs to move into platform 1a from the sidings across the Bedford service. It always reaches the signal by 6:18 waiting for 6:19 arrival into 1b. 6:19 arrives into platform daily on time or early. Reading train sits and waits before being given signal to move around 6:23 right in front of the Bedford service (now sitting just outside station too) which is then 3-4 minutes late leaving Redhill (as is 6:24 to Reading) before it gets signalled into the platform.

Nothing appears wrong on the ground and this is repeated daily. I assume it occurs as it awaits a signaller to set the route or confirm it. The signaller is probably busy with 4 or 5 such moves at the same time which he can't do.

Redhill is all or nothing, feast or famine you either have no timetables moves or everything wants to use the same tracks at the same time.

To bring a train out if the sidings you first need the driver to contact you in good time to let you know that they are on the unit, that they have prepped the unit and it's ready to depart via the GSMR otherwise it's pure guess work.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
This evening the 17:40 Blackfriars - Bedford (which calls at all the main stations plus West Hampstead, Mill Hill, Radlett & Elstree) was put into platform 2 at 17:33, even though the following 17:36 (which doesn't call additionally at West Hampstead, Mill Hill, Radlett & Elstree) was showing as on time.

The 17:40 thus waited in the platform for 7 minutes, with hardly anyone wanting to board it (they were waiting for the 17:36), losing the 17:36 four minutes, which risked putting it into conflict with the following 17:52 fast.

Any ideas why the signaller had such a brain aneurysm, when it would have been perfectly possible to hold the 17:40 outside the station to let the 17:36 past (I understand there is a relief line for that purpose and seen it used in the past).

This shenanigans happens quite frequently, causing delay to the following trains.

Happened again tonight ! (and the 1740 with a wonderfully cheerful driver had a rotten run from Kentish Town to around Hendon) -maybe Baldriock can arrange for a post it note to be stuck onto the workstation / panel at Victoria - as there was a 20 min delay eastbound on the District line - a duff train - very rare on Lul to be honest - there were a few slightly cheesed off fare paying commuters .....1740 was 7 late at SAC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's called Traffic Management and it will start rolling out next year.

To be fair - sooner the better - the pressure on the signallers (as quoted by some very senior NR operators) , is pretty intense on a normal working day. Will arrange for a box of quality teabags to be sent down to help them with their late turn ...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
maybe Baldriock can arrange for a post it note to be stuck onto the workstation / panel at Victoria -

Won't do much good there I'm afraid, they've only got 2 evening peaks left! Then it's off to the ROC on Saturday.

I'll take some biscuits on your behalf ;)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Won't do much good there I'm afraid, they've only got 2 evening peaks left! Then it's off to the ROC on Saturday.

I'll take some biscuits on your behalf ;)

In case we ever meet - I can slip you a packet of quality ginger chocolate biscuits if that is all right.....for the staff , of course.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Have only travelled on Thameslink five times the past week but on three of those occasions have had the 'Kleenex Beggars' doing the rounds. They appear to be part of an organised gang as I have seen them conferring at Kentish Town and Hendon. I recall this was an issue on some tube lines but have not seen it anywhere on the tube for some time. Is it now just a Thameslink problem or is it something that other lines suffer too ?

LBSCR Times

Have only travelled on Thameslink five times the past week but on three of those occasions have had the 'Kleenex Beggars' doing the rounds. They appear to be part of an organised gang as I have seen them conferring at Kentish Town and Hendon. I recall this was an issue on some tube lines but have not seen it anywhere on the tube for some time. Is it now just a Thameslink problem or is it something that other lines suffer too ?

They were on SWT until recent. Probably caught up with them.
If you're on Twitter, suggest when you see them to report it on the Thameslink site. That's the quickest way for action.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
They were on SWT until recent. Probably caught up with them.
If you're on Twitter, suggest when you see them to report it on the Thameslink site. That's the quickest way for action.

Usually the note accompanying the tissues is in poor English but today's used impeccable grammar (better than mine) highlighting the poor man's unfortunate circumstances in being unable to feed his 1 year old child who was starving. Lucky for him then that the gates at West Hampstead were open allowing him to access the railway saving him from the expense that would have took the 'sale' of at least four packs of tissues to recoup.

Status
Not open for further replies.