• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The next five classes to be withdrawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Is there any one Pacer class most likely to be withdrawn first, or are they all getting old at the same rate?

They seem much of a muchness from the (thankfully few!) rides I've had recently

northwichcat

Veteran Member
142s were brought in to service from 1985, 143s from 1985, 144s from 1986.

153s are very useful for extra peak time capacity when attached to 150/2s, 155s, 156s and 158s. However, it's an extra class of train for crews to sign and for maintainence to maintain, so they aren't that popular with TOCs and with 75 seats per unit they are very small on their own.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Nonetheless, the 153s still add useful extra capacity to 170 services, even if they do have the inconvenience of the lack of a corridor connection on the Turbos. Not quite as good for ticket checks as when used with other Sprinter classes (where the conductor can of course walk from one end of the train to the other), but still useful.

The vast majority of New Street-Rugeley services (except the few formed of a three car LM 170) are formed of a 2 car 170 and a 153 to give the necessary 3 carriages. I imagine they would be able to use the corridor connection when in multiple with the corridor fitted London Midland 172s in the future, but the 153s will be going elsewhere at that point.

I reckon that the Pacer units will be thoroughly run into the ground and will be with us for many years to come, particularly plaguing the Northern franchise. The routes the Pacers operate on are not likely to see much investment in new or replacement trains. So I reckon the 153s will be gone first. If I had to choose the first Pacer class to go, I'd say it would be the Welsh 143s.

Last edited:

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
The vast majority of New Street-Rugeley services (except the few formed of a three car LM 170) are formed of a 2 car 170 and a 153 to give the necessary 3 carriages. I imagine they would be able to use the corridor connection when in multiple with the corridor fitted London Midland 172s in the future, but the 153s will be going elsewhere at that point.

What couplings are the 172s going to be fitted with?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I reckon that the Pacer units will be thoroughly run into the ground and will be with us for many years to come, particularly plaguing the Northern franchise. The routes the Pacers operate on are not likely to see much investment in new or replacement trains. So I reckon the 153s will be gone first. If I had to choose the first Pacer class to go, I'd say it would be the Welsh 143s.

But presumably the 153's could be permanently paired up relatively easily - possibly to replace Pacers (and increase capacity). Personally I think any franchise management asking to scrap any of the 15x class in favour of a 14x class (at some time in the dim and distant future) should be either invited to a "meeting without coffee" at the DFT or put in the stocks <D

sprinterguy

Established Member
What couplings are the 172s going to be fitted with?

The 172s are fitted with the standard BSI couplers, so will be able to work in multiple with the Sprinter classes and 170s.

I think permanently reforming the 153s as two car trains (going back to their original 155 spec) would require a degree of joined up thinking amongst several TOCS, if it was done wholesale, so am dubious about such an occurence.

Hailing originally from Sunderland, I cannot see a day coming when Northern does without it's beloved Pacers! ;)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Nonetheless, the 153s still add useful extra capacity to 170 services, even if they do have the inconvenience of the lack of a corridor connection on the Turbos. Not quite as good for ticket checks as when used with other Sprinter classes (where the conductor can of course walk from one end of the train to the other), but still useful.

Also for trains with people standing, particuarly in the evening, as people board and alight one unit may empty out at a faster rate than the other meaning people could be standing on the 170 while the 153 has empty seats or vice versa.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think permanently reforming the 153s as two car trains (going back to their original 155 spec) would require a degree of joined up thinking amongst several TOCS, if it was done wholesale, so am dubious about such an occurence

I'd rather that the 153s were added to 156s to provide an additional carriage - rather than more two car trains (on busy lines), we'd be better having three car (or longer). Just my opinion

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah I'm sure, there's some pics of the London Overground units on test at Old Dalby on another thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30393&page=8

Looks like BSI couplers to me, and it's what's specced in the platform 5 DMU book. :)
Although I'm surprised the London Overground units aren't fitted with couplers that allow them to work with LO 378s, like Southern's 171s can work with 377s.

I have heard that the Cl314 is going to remain in service until 2019!
Take what you hear with a pinch of salt... 314's are very reliable units, not much can go wrong with them and they are very fast off the mark. You can make up for time with the 314s... if Scotrail puts Junipers on the line they should expect delays and alot more train failures, as proven they can't handle a little bit of snow.. or in the Summer the heat goes for them. The only thing needing done to a 314 is a refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.