• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Super Hellfire Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Exactly, and if you wish to get the desktop quickly, just click 'show desktop' in the task bar.
Yes. But then you have to bring everything back up from the taskbar again! Whereas, Exposé just allows you to hit the key/corner again and everything's instantly back where it came from.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
Yes. But then you have to bring everything back up from the taskbar again! Whereas, Exposé just allows you to hit the key/corner again and everything's instantly back where it came from.

Everything?

No.

Only what you want up.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, say you have 5 windows open that you're using. But you want to see the desktop. You can show desktop. But then you have to open all 5 windows again. Mac just hides and shows them within a matter of seconds.

Craig

Established Member
But Exposé is something that I find very useful to have around and makes everything ever so much easier to navigate and such. Definately something that Mac has over on Windows in my opinion.

Doesn't sound like much, but once you're used to it you notice when it's not there.

class 313

Established Member
Well, say you have 5 windows open that you're using. But you want to see the desktop. You can show desktop. But then you have to open all 5 windows again. Mac just hides and shows them within a matter of seconds.

I can't say I have ever cried out to to programmers to create such software. Which suggests its not much of an advantage, plus all those windows are kept in the memory, thus slowing down the Mac device.

Craig

Established Member
I can't say I have ever cried out to to programmers to create such software.
It might be seen to be a bit egocentric to suggest that you not wanting something means no one else does either.
plus all those windows are kept in the memory, thus slowing down the Mac device.
Whatever you're running is kept in memory anyway, whether you're on Windows or OS X.

laseandre

Established Member
Windows Key + D minimizes them all, and Windows Key + Shift + D brings them all up again. And Death, you can still Alt+Tab normally in Vista.

Attachments

• VistaAltTab.jpg
    VistaAltTab.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 16

class 313

Established Member
Windows Key + D minimizes them all, and Windows Key + Shift + D brings them all up again. And Death, you can still Alt+Tab normally in Vista.

Exactly, but as the mac needs a program to do such a thing, it must mean its better. :roll:

laseandre

Established Member
Change that, Windows Key + D after you've minimized them brings them up again. No Shift needed.

Beaker

Established Member
is this expose gubbins actually a program or a name for something ? But loaders ' I don't like it, so it must be bad for everybody' argument is getting like a stuck record.

Death

Established Member
Exactly, and if you wish to get the desktop quickly, just click 'show desktop' in the task bar.
What "Show Desktop" link? :shock::lol:
(I like to keep my screen as free of clag as possible, so I never have the language bar nor the quick lunch bar open even though I have more than enough screen space for them. :))

Personally I'm of the mindset that if something has a keyboard shortcut mapped to it (Such as [Win]+D to hide/show all windows) then there's no point in having an icon for it too...But that's more because I'm much more comfortable with using the keyboard as opposed to the mouse, and I'm perfectly happy to use most PCs keyboard-only. 8)

Change that, Windows Key + D after you've minimized them brings them up again. No Shift needed.
I must admit I wasn't aware that a second [Win]+D keystroke would restore the windows to their previous state until I just tried it, but normally I'd "hide" everything with [Win]+D, then [Alt]+[Tab] to "retrieve" the windows that I needed. If ye are as quick on the keys as I often am, both methods are normally quick enough. :)

I know that [Alt]+[Tab] works in Vista in the same way, but it's just that - Given the much greater amount of CPU needed for Aero's "stacked windows" display - I'd normally have Aero turned off if I was a Vista user. Again though, it all boils down to personal preference. :)

And following some experimentation with Ubuntu this morning, I can say that most of the usual Windows shortcuts seem to be available in G.N.O.M.E for X-Windows (Linux) too. 8)

class 313

Established Member
What "Show Desktop" link? :shock::lol:
(I like to keep my screen as free of clag as possible, so I never have the language bar nor the quick lunch bar open even though I have more than enough screen space for them. :))

Its a little logo (of a Desktop) on the taskbar.

Death

Established Member
Like I said...Keyboard shortcuts are more to my liking anyway. Indeed, I only really use mice for image editing and selecting objects on web pages, to be honest! 8)
(Some web pages like this one have sooo many links on them, it takes far too long to [Tab] through everything, and caret browsing does my head in! :shock::))

Whilst I've got a post on - And assuming that the Mods read this thread - I've just added a seperate Linux icon to my signature which pushes the total combined width to 548px (470+78 pixels)...Is that still OK, or is there also a limit of one image in each sig? :)

Death

Established Member
I admire the last part of your sig, Death. :)
Which part? The Northerner bit, or the Linux bit? :D;)

Aye...As I've just posted in another thread, I'm considering making the change over to a more secure, stable, and free operating system. 8)<D
(Oh, and here's one for the Mac users amongst us: Did ye know that OSX is more or less a reworked version of FreeBSD with an Apple-ised graphical interface? So much for Apple and their "original" software... :roll::lol::razz:)

class 313

Established Member
Which part? The Northerner bit, or the Linux bit? :D;)

Aye...As I've just posted in another thread, I'm considering making the change over to a more secure, stable, and free operating system. 8)<D
(Oh, and here's one for the Mac users amongst us: Did ye know that OSX is more or less a reworked version of FreeBSD with an Apple-ised graphical interface? So much for Apple and their "original" software... :roll::lol::razz:)

Apple Mac is a branch off the tree of Unix anyway, but I meant the Linux part! ;)

Ubuntu is a good OS if you want a light, fast OS. I myself prefer xandros though not free, it is a great distribution of Linux, that and Suse.

Beaker

Established Member
Apple Mac is a branch off the tree of Unix anyway, but I meant the Linux part! ;)

Ubuntu is a good OS if you want a light, fast OS. I myself prefer xandros though not free, it is a great distribution of Linux, that and Suse.

Ubuntu jipped me off more than vista. Atleast vista managed to detect my wifi card

Craig

Established Member
Exactly, but as the mac needs a program to do such a thing, it must mean its better. :roll:

is this expose gubbins actually a program or a name for something ? But loaders ' I don't like it, so it must be bad for everybody' argument is getting like a stuck record.

It's a feature of OS X, but as usual Toader thinks he knows best.

Oh, and here's one for the Mac users amongst us: Did ye know that OSX is more or less a reworked version of FreeBSD with an Apple-ised graphical interface? So much for Apple and their "original" software... :roll::lol::razz:)
It's a well documented fact that OS X is a Unix based OS.

dan_atki

Established Member
Pointless posts removed. Please keep this on topic or go over to chat.

JoshW1992

Established Member
Heres mine
67911639jh6.jpg

Perfect! :D I shall post mine in a second

Status
Not open for further replies.