• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Super Hellfire Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJMorley

press Prt Scrn > open Paint > paste into there > save as PNG > post on RailUK
I can't see it properly on Open Office, I can't drag from the corner and keep it the same size :roll:

me123

Established Member
Don't worry; I didn't either until about a month ago :lol:

I'll post my desktop when I get my good laptop back, so I bet you all can't wait to see the Vista default background :lol:

mbonwick

Established Member
I'll post mine when my Vista desktop comes back from having a new fan fitted. Should be by the end of the week.

me123

Established Member
That's scary; my vista laptop's due back at the end of the week after having a faulty battery replaced.

mbonwick

Established Member
That's scary; my vista laptop's due back at the end of the week after having a faulty battery replaced.

Not really. It's been hot ever since I bought it - or rather had it built - but recently it has been getting to the auto switch off point.

I rang them about 2 weeks after I got it about the temperature, but they said it was OK until it turned itself off.

It's been with them today and they say it hasn't turned turned off at all, but that they haven't done a stress test.

me123

Established Member
The scary thing was that both of us have Vista computers getting repaired ATM, both due back by the end of the week.

Muppet

Not really. It's been hot ever since I bought it - or rather had it built - but recently it has been getting to the auto switch off point.

I rang them about 2 weeks after I got it about the temperature, but they said it was OK until it turned itself off.

It's been with them today and they say it hasn't turned turned off at all, but that they haven't done a stress test.

You say your good with computers, but you cant replace / add a new fan? :s

But back on to the subject

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7572/wallpaperxd6.png

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Dont want to dig up a thread thathasntbeen used in while, But have been playing around with Vista, and I quite like this now:lol:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 19

Death

Established Member
Dont want to dig up a thread thathasntbeen used in while, But have been playing around with Vista, and I quite like this now:lol:
Alternatively, ye could always dig up an old copy of Windows NT Workstation 4.0, install it onto thy PC, and enjoy blisteringly fast and much more reliable computing than ye could ever have out of Windows Vista... :lol::razz:<D

(And as NT Workstation 4.0 supports NTFS - Albeit an older version - Ye should still be able to access every byte of thy 250Gb HDD as well, as long as it isn't S-ATA connected! :shock::lol:;))

mbonwick

Established Member
That's the problem these days Death, most stuff is SATA. Have to say, I think its speeds benefits over PATA are plain to see 8)

Death

Established Member
That's the problem these days Death, most stuff is SATA. Have to say, I think its speeds benefits over PATA are plain to see 8)
Personally, I beg to differ with ye on that point. I have two PCs on my network with high-volume storage (I.E: Over 100Gb) drives on them; Aragorn and Gandalf. Aragorns HDD is a 160Gb Seagate S-ATA thing, whereas Gandalfs storage is 1x120Gb and 2x80Gb volumes - All from Maxtor IIRC. :)

Now whenever I'm doing a large read/write on Aragorn, I normally take the chance to go and get a coffee on the go whilst that's happening...Whereas on Gandalf it's a LOT quicker. I.E: If I'm copying an 8Gb file from a USB key to the HDD, Aragorn takes a good half-hour to do it (The S-ATA drive is the bottleneck) whereas Gandalf can do it in 1/6th the time! :D

In my own experience; P-ATA is fast enough for what I want it to do, and the technology is certainly more stable and reliable. S-ATA on the other hand is nothing but a pain in the ass in every respect bar physical cabling, IMO... 8)

mbonwick

Established Member
Depends what RAID you have on Gandalf I guess...it could be theoretically writing 3 things at once to the drives rather than the one that Aragon can do (with having one drive......)

Status
Not open for further replies.