• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theresa May Resigns & Conservative Leader Election Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surprised that odious [expletive] Rees - Mogg is still on the list of Conservative MP's not running.

He seems to have had alot to say in the last 2 years and I thought he would have relished the opportunity of driving forward his ... errr ... backward-looking vision of Britain.

It's almost like he just says things to provoke a market reaction that his investment firm can then benefit from. Either that or he is just plain chicken. I do hope that his complete lack of spine will be remembered and he will never be given the oxygen of publicity again ; or, preferably, any oxygen at all.

I think he knows he would never get elected. I suggest he would rather be a kingmaker, in return for a top job. I read somewhere that he might fancy Chancellor. Now that would be bad news.

Rees-Mogg doesn't want to be in the cabinet as he would have to be bound by the convention of collective responsibility and would also acquire personal responsibility for delivery. People like him are essentially moral cowards shouting from the sidelines but unwilling to get involved.

he sees himself as éminence grise or the kingmaker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member

JamesT

Established Member
One to cross off your list, Kit Malthouse is running, according to The Sun ( https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9165263/kit-malthouse-tory-leadership-race/ ). MP for four years!

Cameron hadn't been an MP much longer when he was elected leader. Admittedly that was whilst they were in opposition rather than as Prime Minister.

Sometimes the new intake look attractive as they're not weighed down with the baggage of the past. But for a job of this magnitude you'd hope for at least a little experience...

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Typhoon

Established Member
Cameron hadn't been an MP much longer when he was elected leader. Admittedly that was whilst they were in opposition rather than as Prime Minister.
And there is a lot of difference between Leader of the Opposition and Prime Minister. Prime Ministers make decisions, Leaders of the Opposition tell them they made the wrong decisions.
Sometimes the new intake look attractive as they're not weighed down with the baggage of the past. But for a job of this magnitude you'd hope for at least a little experience...
One problem that the new PM has is that there will be a number (9 at the current rate) of defeated candidates, several of whom will not be happy bunnies. Cameron only had 3, one was Ken Clarke, a fairly affable fellow who would have taken defeat well. Any slip ups and the same backstabbing that has dogged the present PM will, I suspect, return in spades. At least some experience of making vital decisions under pressure would he helpful. I can't remember Cameron having to make the sort of defining decisions that Blair and Brown made, except perhaps the referendum which he gambled and lost.

takno

Established Member
One problem that the new PM has is that there will be a number (9 at the current rate) of defeated candidates, several of whom will not be happy bunnies. Cameron only had 3, one was Ken Clarke, a fairly affable fellow who would have taken defeat well. Any slip ups and the same backstabbing that has dogged the present PM will, I suspect, return in spades. At least some experience of making vital decisions under pressure would he helpful. I can't remember Cameron having to make the sort of defining decisions that Blair and Brown made, except perhaps the referendum which he gambled and lost.
To be fair several of them are only really standing to make sure they have leverage to get a job in the new cabinet, and of the 9 I suspect half of them won't need to be seriously bought off anyway. Keep an eye out though, because one of the also-rans may well end up in Transport.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The new leader will be stuck between the same rock and the same hard place as May.
The ones that want 'no deal' won't accept a deal, and those that want a deal won't allow 'no deal'. And they still have to solve the Irish border issue.
The only way forward is to lay out, in clear uncertain terms, exactly what impact 'no deal' will have on the country, and how any proposed deal will ameliorate that.
And even that might not be enough to get hardliners onside.

Exactly, Parliament will probably continue to block attempts to leave with "no deal", regardless of who is the next Tory leader /PM. Or, even if "No deal" somehow is accepted, and Brexit occurs, the next PM will have to decide whether or not to seek a trade deal with EU -- a deal where EU will probably set conditions that could well resemble those in the failed agreement with Mrs May. And the Tory disagreements will start again.

The danger is if an early General Election occurs, then Farage may get a significant share of the votes, and have what I suspect would be an unhealthy influence over our future.

Typhoon

Established Member
So we just need two more contenders (by my count) declaring they're in the race, and then the newspapers can go mad with headlines like "the dirty dozen"*, or a cartoon of Da Vinci's Last Supper...
Closer and closer ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48439908 )

Kit Brewery, who couldn't organise an event in a malthouse. Mind you, that applies to virtually all the candidates, though I'd make an honourable exception with Rory Stewart, not that he's going to get any more votes than Dr Fox did in the last two contests.
The only one that I could contemplate voting for is Rory Stewart - he actually seems to think about what he is about to say. Unfortunately for him, I am never likely to be in that position. To be honest, I think he will struggle to get to Dr Fox's numbers - the type of MPs who would support him have left the party.

433N

The only one that I could contemplate voting for is Rory Stewart - he actually seems to think about what he is about to say. Unfortunately for him, I am never likely to be in that position. To be honest, I think he will struggle to get to Dr Fox's numbers - the type of MPs who would support him have left the party.

To clarify ...

Dr Fox's number of supporters in Tory leadership contests or Dr Fox's numbers of post-Brexit trade deals struck ?

The former eclipses the latter by quite some margin.

Typhoon

Established Member
To clarify ...

Dr Fox's number of supporters in Tory leadership contests or Dr Fox's numbers of post-Brexit trade deals struck ?

The former eclipses the latter by quite some margin.
Oh, the former. I think he might get more than three. Faroe Islands, Chile and someone else if I recall. Good job he's not on 'payment by results'. If they manage to put Brexit off until the next decade, he might make double figures. Sadly, I don't think Mr Stewart will make much more than just into double figures.

433N

James Cleverley announces his bid to be Tory leader and PM. Lost track now of who is standing!

It does make you wonder if they know that under new party rules after each round of voting, the losing candidates are taken outside and shot.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So why is Labour using social media to raise support for a election if the main parties don’t want it?

Last time I looked, Labour were mainstream political party so I’m afraid you’re quite wrong that or you’ve overlooked Labour’s calls for a election?

Personally I’m of the view of anyone but Boris and even then it’s going to be difficult finding a suitable replacement for May with the choice of candidates that are left.

They have rowed back from such calls since the euro elections. Labour don't want and cant win an election at this point in time. c.14% of the vote in third place isnt a great position of strength! Even McDonald has admitted it would be almost impossible to force an early election. The central point of any such election would be Brexit. Labour do not have a clear policy on Brexit and have just lost voters to Both the Breixt party and to unequivocally anti brexit parties such as Green or Lib Dems. They wont get back one side of their voter base until they have a clear policy on Brexit. The problem is they either have to alienate traditional northern working class voters OR urban remainers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Jesse Norman making his leadership pitch on the 'Today' programme this morning, not that he'd QUITE come out with it, but Rory Stewart, who was on with him, lent some support which seemed to convince him... We'll see. Graham Brady still considering his position. And Pritti Patel has been preternaturally quiet recently!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, exactly. If that concept hasn't already made it into a satire show sketch on tv or radio, it soon will!

On a more serious note, I wonder how much precious time between now and 31st October is going to be wasted with this ego contest...

Howardh

Established Member
And there is a lot of difference between Leader of the Opposition and Prime Minister. Prime Ministers make decisions, Leaders of the Opposition tell them they made the wrong decisions.

One problem that the new PM has is that there will be a number (9 at the current rate) of defeated candidates, several of whom will not be happy bunnies.
That's true at face value, but most are in there to stand down later in order to support another candidate and get a seat in cabinet as reward.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
And Pritti Patel has been preternaturally quiet recently!

She may have been too busy getting trains from Norwich to London in an hour and a half. (Probably not trying to explain how this is better for her constituents as she flies through Witham at 100mph).

AM9

Veteran Member
I reckon it will go to extra time and then penalties to go back to the football analogy .
One way to look at it is every time the deadline is extended, we are still in the EU and the speculators pushing the 'leave at any cost' (ours) aren't getting their way.

fowler9

Established Member
One way to look at it is every time the deadline is extended, we are still in the EU and the speculators pushing the 'leave at any cost' (ours) aren't getting their way.
On the plus side there is that. Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.