• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that annoy you on bus and coach journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2012

Does anyone on here have get annoyed about any aspect of bus and coach travel:

The things that annoy me most are:

When you're sitting down the back of the bus, there's loads of empty space and a passenger will board and sit either the other side of the back seat or the seat just in front

Similarily, passengers who stretch out across seats at the time when there are lots of passengers on the bus

When passengers have a loud mobile phone conversation

National Express and Megabus drivers who claim the front row seats are crew seats and not passenger seats(regularly get this when traveling between Bristol and Birmingham with NX)

Waiting ages at a bus/coach stop so you are first on, only to find the seat you were most hoping to sit in has already been taken by another passenger

Routes where the company typically allocates a smaller bus, despite the fact the passenger numbers justify a larger one.

Does anyone else have any annoyances like this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bicbasher

Established Member
Drivers who allow buggies on board when the wheelchair area space is full, blocking the gangway or exit.

A passenger who continues to sit next to you when other seats are free.

Travelling during the school run, especially on single decker routes.

HstRailfan

This is my first time on the Forum
Some things that I hate on the bus is the very annoying school kids who don't have their Oyster cards. When they try to avoid their fare by entering the bus via the Rear door. Thing is they get on free anyway and to finish there is no queuing whatsoever so I push ahead of the people who do it to me. Would you?

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When people have been standing at the bus stop for plenty of time, but only start searching for their bus ticket or cash to buy a ticket when they are stood in front of the driver.

People who wait for the bus to stop before standing up to exit (I know some operators advise this but it causes delay).

Mugby

Established Member
Something which no doubt annoys drivers far more than me are passengers who expect the driver to be a mind reader.

Outside of London, where we don't have compulsory stops, if I were a driver I'd quite happily sail past anyone who can't be bothered to put their hand out at a stop!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'll counter that with "drivers who overtake at a stop in a manner than passengers standing by the flag won't be able to see the number and put their hand out in time". Unless it's an identical bus (same route AND destination), which in most areas they have no way of knowing, and they know it isn't full, they should stop anyway and not overtake.

Neil

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Something which no doubt annoys drivers far more than me are passengers who expect the driver to be a mind reader.

Outside of London, where we don't have compulsory stops, if I were a driver I'd quite happily sail past anyone who can't be bothered to put their hand out at a stop!

Even more annoying must be when said driver pulls into stop, opens door and then prospective passenger just stares with a gormless look as if to say "why did you stop?" happens all the time here in Wales.

Also annoying are regular passengers who spot someone they know and have a 5 minute conversation before taking their seat.

Passengers who hold up the bus with stupid statements/ questions such as "you're late" "how longs the next bus?" "how much would the journey cost if I didn't have a free pass?"

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Drivers who don't have the fresh air over head vents on or have turned the climate control off and wonder why their windscreen is misting up. Interestingly I only ever encounter this in the UK.

Established Member
Drivers who don't have the fresh air over head vents on or have turned the climate control off and wonder why their windscreen is misting up. Interestingly I only ever encounter this in the UK.

Though we don't always have control over whether they're on or not.
Sometimes the controls in the cab don't actually do anything, the system just does whatever it feels like, regardless of where you set it. Or it just doesn't work.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When people have been standing at the bus stop for plenty of time, but only start searching for their bus ticket or cash to buy a ticket when they are stood in front of the driver.

It's remarkable how many times this happens and they then pull out a well worn bus pass.

extendedpaul

Like most people I appreciate two seats to myself on a long coach journey but I always offer to move when I see two people board the coach together and there are no double seats left. Megabus in particular has a lot of lone travellers.

Hardly ever seen anybody else make a similar gesture.

Statto

Established Member
Though we don't always have control over whether they're on or not.
Sometimes the controls in the cab don't actually do anything, the system just does whatever it feels like, regardless of where you set it. Or it just doesn't work.

It's remarkable how many times this happens and they then pull out a well worn bus pass.

Reading on another forum about that, buses mainly post 09 builds have an automatic thermostat which cannot be controlled by the driver, the heating comes on when the vehicle goes below a threshold temperature, then switches off when reaches optimum temperature.
Lack of legroom, that you have to be less than 5ft tall to be comfortable, East Lancs EL200s where worst for this.

Statto95

Is it wrong to say about 90% of the other passengers??? Commuting on the bus is fine when I get on - start of the route - but a few stops in is horrible.

Or the other really annoying thing is the driver not smiling or returning my good morning when I get on... GGrrrr

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
people who sit in the top deck front seats on double deckers. They're mine I tell you ;)

This. So so much. :lol:

Passengers sitting next to me when there are plenty of other seats free. A quite extreme example of this occurred on a 125 journey between Southgate and North Finchley back in January last year. I got on, took my favoured seat at the front of the top deck (nearside), there was about 4 other passengers on the top deck. One stop later, two teenage boys got on, one sat down in the other front set of seats. I assumed his friend would sit next to him, but he chose to sit next to me, when there was like 40 other seats free. It was really quite annoying (given that I had specifically wanted to do this route because of the vehicles used on it, Arriva DAF/Plaxton President deckers, and was looking forward to it), and suspicious. I was half-expecting my pocket to be picked.

Last edited:

rmt4ever

Very little annoys me about buses. Coaches I can not comment on as I have not used one since I was a school child (save one GNER replacement coach service between Newcastle-York some years ago) and have NO intention to do so. If I can not go by train for whatever reason I will look at domestic air travel as a second choice, and car hire as a last resort.

Buses are fine usually. I don't even really mind if one is cancelled as you know this now by looking at the app and just go for a quick half until the next one :)

Qwerty133

Established Member
People who push in the 200 long queue.
The bendy bus being replaced by a double decker.
The bus not turning up for 45 minutes.
Getting the bus with the window that won't shut (4027 in the arriva Midlands fleet).
getting the driver that sets the heating to 40
Getting one of the buses that doesn't have heating.
Getting one of the drivers who press the wrong button and then wonder why the bus won't start (this happened TWICE last week).
476 OAPs having to be on a bus at dead on 09:31 and then moaning that there's no downstairs seats remaining.
Watching the bus I wanted leave the bus station as I arrive on the other bus... every day.
Getting the driver who needs to be in the newsagents until 5 minutes after departure every day.
Arriva not realising a college of 2400 students will have an impact on passenger numbers.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
People who don't move towards the front of the queue in a bus shelter when there is space to do so, so those behind have to either jump the queue or stand in the rain.

Why the apparently brilliant new bus departure screen in the relative warmth of Nottingham station concourse doesn't seem to show real time departures or anything about route 10, both of which are only available in the cold bus shelter outside.

Being on a full bus that is overtaken by several empty ones on the same route.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Passengers on boarding the bus, who despite having been standing at the bus stop for at least 5 mins, do not have their fare ready and then proceed to take ages trying to count out their fare from their pocket/purse.

ChathillMan

Buses that get caught up at EVERY red light, usually the day you need to be somewhere in a hurry

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Passengers on boarding the bus, who despite having been standing at the bus stop for at least 5 mins, do not have their fare ready and then proceed to take ages trying to count out their fare from their pocket/purse.

Is there an echo in here?

pdeaves

Established Member
Things that annoy me on buses and coaches:

1. It's a bus/coach.
2. 'Binary' drivers (only seem to do 'go fast' or 'stop suddenly').
3. Lurchy vehicles.
4. Vehicles that are too hot and have 'binary' drivers.
5. Being unable to sit at the front (passenger!) seats where I can see out.

In case you haven't gathered, I do not like bus journeys and get very travel sick on them!

rmt4ever

People who push in the 200 long queue.
The bendy bus being replaced by a double decker.
The bus not turning up for 45 minutes.
Getting the bus with the window that won't shut (4027 in the arriva Midlands fleet).
getting the driver that sets the heating to 40
Getting one of the buses that doesn't have heating.
Getting one of the drivers who press the wrong button and then wonder why the bus won't start (this happened TWICE last week).
476 OAPs having to be on a bus at dead on 09:31 and then moaning that there's no downstairs seats remaining.
Watching the bus I wanted leave the bus station as I arrive on the other bus... every day.
Getting the driver who needs to be in the newsagents until 5 minutes after departure every day.
Arriva not realising a college of 2400 students will have an impact on passenger numbers.

Wow, you seem very stressed... all of the above scream 'first world problems' ...

Seriously sometimes we all need to lighten up a little.
Things that annoy me on buses and coaches:

1. It's a bus/coach.
2. 'Binary' drivers (only seem to do 'go fast' or 'stop suddenly').
3. Lurchy vehicles.
4. Vehicles that are too hot and have 'binary' drivers.
5. Being unable to sit at the front (passenger!) seats where I can see out.

In case you haven't gathered, I do not like bus journeys and get very travel sick on them!

Sure we can find a solution to that:

sports-car-clipart-RiA65qLLT.png

or

BMW-M-pushbike_428-420x0.jpg

or

11970861871447741097Gerald_G_Motorcycle_Clipart.svg.med.png

or even failing that:

hiking.jpg

Temple Meads

Established Member
^ :lol:

National Express and Megabus drivers who claim the front row seats are crew seats and not passenger seats(regularly get this when traveling between Bristol and Birmingham with NX)

This.

Also drivers who don't reply to my 'thank you' and those who don't acknowledge the presentation of a ticket, but just stare blankly! I appreciate it can be a tricky job, but these are basic courtesies, IMO.

Buses with serious rattles/squeaks/bangs upset my 'bus bashing equilibrium', likewise people who have a conversation across the bus, OVER their fellow passengers!

ECML180

Passengers.
Beat me to it!

For me, it's something relating to coach private hires mainly and that's 'mental itinerary customers'. Essentially they book a coach from A to B and pay accordingly, then on the day inform the driver & passengers they will be leaving B slightly earlier to go further away to call at C for a pub lunch then travel back via D as it's their favourite farm shop. All neglecting to mention the roads to C and D are tight enough that you have to reverse out if something is coming the other way, even if it is just the local vicar on his bike. (or similar) :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Buses that start off as closed-top double deckers then, halfway through their journey, decide to shed their roof. One just doesn't know how to dress for these occasions.

dvboy

Established Member
Drivers who depart a stop as if they're in a drag race.

Buses that don't get cleaned.

Drivers who let people on anyway when they don't have the full fare.

Infirnation posters positioned nowhere near the front of the bus so you'd miss them if it was busy.

Schoolchildren who crowd the front of the bus when there are plenty of seats available, even downstairs.

Oversized buggys.

Stands at the bus station that have too many services allocated to them while others have hardly any.

Duplicates route numbers.

Bus station having timetable leaflets for routes nowhere near where you are but none for a route that starts there.

causton

Established Member
^ :lol:

This.

Also drivers who don't reply to my 'thank you' and those who don't acknowledge the presentation of a ticket, but just stare blankly! I appreciate it can be a tricky job, but these are basic courtesies, IMO.
I just had one who said "Okay" sarcastically to me today, not very friendly at all!

Mine are also:

-When the bus is late but the driver chats to his mate/colleage next to him, when he could be concentrating on the road and making up time!
-On the few buses with facing seats, someone always has their feet up on them.
-Traffic lights that are 'bus priority' but let regular traffic out for 5 minutes before finally remembering there is a bus in the bus lane
-Drivers that don't position themselves correctly in aforementioned bus lanes, or at lights, so they're not over the sensors and we sit at red for ages.
-The fact Uno internally has different route numbers for some journeys to the public timetable, which means the expensive fancy real time departure screens don't pick up the buses...

AndyW33

And of course the operators who won't display what the fares actually are on the stops so if you aren't local you have to take ages trying to count out the fare once you've spoken to the driver.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
The Grey Rinse Brigade. I know they have to be at bingo for 0931 but when I'm trying to get to work and they're taking ages to find a seat.

Buggies

Child Fares

Late Buses

Rotala

Status
Not open for further replies.