• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

This is a Forum Idea of a New Royal Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
For example if the Class 67's and LHCS are replaced. What unit/manufacturer would you choose for HRH The Queen?

* Things to remeber this Train would need some kind of reinforcement. I.e like the obama's beast..

Personally I'd go with ICE 3, specially made for UK Railways for the queen, but bi-mode so electric and diesel.

a 7 coach train to inculde meeting room, dining area, lounge area,security area,sleeping area and a host of others items required for HRH.

What's your idea's ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
A built to order 'unit' by bombardier at derby...

(I'd have two, one royal, one for senior MPs/PM)

Similar kind of configuration as currently but with armour plating installed, dual redundant bi-modal working (big engines at each end with distro traction) and many security additions. But I can't see it being replaced any time soon...

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Due to the current economic situation I think a budget replacement is called for, so I would go with a Pacer, which will likely be being withdrawn around the time any change to the Royal train is considered (I'd say the current one has at least 20 or 30 years in it, in theory the coaches could go on almost forever). A 144 would be the best option so that a number of centre coaches could be placed in the formation as required (replace the internal bar couplings with BSIs for easy swapping).

GB

Established Member
Personally I'd stick to what they have. Nothing very regal or special about a unit imo.

Helvellyn

Established Member
To be pedantic, it's HM The Queen, as in Her Majesty.

I'd have thought that with talk of HST life extension schemes, there's nothing wrong with continuing to use the current Mark 3 stock. Possibly replace the Mark 2B staff/generator/brake coaches with a pair of modified Mark 3B DVTs.

scotsman

Established Member
To be pedantic, it's HM The Queen, as in Her Majesty.

I'd have thought that with talk of HST life extension schemes, there's nothing wrong with continuing to use the current Mark 3 stock. Possibly replace the Mark 2B staff/generator/brake coaches with a pair of modified Mark 3B DVTs.

A loco would likely be kept on the rear anyway, or the DVTs wouldn't be used for Driving with the Queen onboard as locos are harder to de-rail

Aictos

Established Member
You could always go for a 8 car Class 390 and just drag the train over the non electric parts of the UK - must admit a 390 in the Claret livery would look special :)

Or just leave the Royal Train as it is.

I think that a system like that of the imperial train in Japan would be the best option. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E655_series).
this would be an EDMU with diesel power cars at the ends. with redundant traction and power systems. and like the japanese train used for luxury charters when it is not needed by the royal family. also like the japanese train a couple of coaches would be specially for the royal family and removed from the consist when the royal family don't need it. this would allow the train to have a lower net cost to the country.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I don't see why the current consist should be changed for another 20-30 years to be honest bearing in mind what is running around and has been life extended already

Yew

Established Member
Stick a Class 37 on each end? we are running out of space for them on heritage lines

WatcherZero

Established Member
She drives herself in a beat up old Land Rover round her estates, I dont think she feels she has to be in luxury transport.

brianthegiant

royal train - who pays for it?
Are all the capital & running costs fully internalised?
Or is it cross-subsidised by other rail business?

I would have thought if anything it would be more important to have a train for use by the prime mininster & other cabinet ministers, since they're the ones ELECTED to run the country. Surely its more important for the prime minster to have an environment in which they can continue to run the country whilst on the move. Having said that a luxury coach would probably be better value for money & not suffer pathing issues..

Like the royal yacht brittania, I suspect that the royal train will not be replaced when it reaches end of life. In this age of austerity the high cost of designing bespoke stock to comply with increasingly complex specs will not be justified. It will likely become a museum piece at York, another relic of a bygone age which has long since passed.

Last edited:

sulli_os

train.jpg

NightatLaira

I like the idea of a bi-mode Electro-Diesel, but it should be kept fairly light if at all possible to enable usage on lower guage tracks. Maybe make it an 'HM Governemnt' train to be shared by Royals and the cabinet on special occasions, rather than an exclusively Royal-only train - would perhaps appease some of the republican viewpoints.

It would be nice to see foregin heads of state, e.g. Obama, Merkel, etc. getting carted around the country on state visits to the UK by the PM in an HM Government styled 'Trainforce 1'

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Obama almost certainly wouldn't be allowed on a train here due to the security issues. You may have followed his recent visit - his security entourage made the royal wedding look like a low key, family event.

It would be good to see use of the train for other internationally important people though. :p

TomJ93

Saw the Royal Train just north of MKC Yesterday about 20:32, any more info on it?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Probably on it's way to/from Wolverton.

I think the benefit of loco-hauled stock over units is the ability to be formed of different vehicles depending on requirements. At one time there were 24 royal train vehicles with only seven seen in the train at any one time, there aren't 24 now, but I'm certain there are more than the seven usually seen in a formation. Whilst it's not impossible to change MU vehicles, it sort of defeats the object if you do it on a regular basis.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think it's wonderful that we have a Royal train. Most of the world are so envious of our traditions & long may she reign over us. Somethings do not have a cost & i think this is one of them. Then again i loved the Royal Yacht Britannia & never cared how little use it had.

Status
Not open for further replies.