• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOCs no longer using any ex-BR stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

317 forever

Established Member
It will be interesting to follow TOCs that lose ex-BR stock and use just more modern rolling stock built in the post-privatisation era.

As far as I can tell, the only such TOCs at this stage are:-
c2c
Virgin Trains West Coast
TransPennine Express

Also, if we sub-divide GTR into its natural components, then Gatwick Express, Thameslink and soon Great Northern will qualify but not Southern for a while.

Looking ahead a bit, it will be fascinating to see a list in chronological order of who lost BR heritage stock in what order!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Great Northern are retaining a number of British Rail built 365s for services in the peak.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
c2c
Virgin Trains West Coast
TransPennine Express

London Overground were on a wholly post BR fleet but when they were expanded to take over the local services out of Liverpool Street they rather dramatically regressed. They will again, however, in the near future be a whole post BR fleet once their new stock is delivered in the coming months.

Crossrail will be wholly post BR once the 345s are fully in service.

DanNCL

Established Member
If we're including open access operators in this then Hull Trains and Grand Central can be added to the list. Both now only operate 180s.

317 forever

Established Member
Thank you for your responses so far. Although not franchises, I welcome your mentions of Grand Central and Hull Trains as they do fit the bill.

I wonder who will be the final one? Possibly Great Western, Northern or Wales & Borders with ex-BR class 158s (and 165/66s with Great Western), or intriguingly ScotRail with ex-BR 125s?

xotGD

Established Member
It will be interesting to follow TOCs that lose ex-BR stock and use just more modern rolling stock built in the post-privatisation era.

c2c
Virgin Trains West Coast
TransPennine Express

Also, if we sub-divide GTR into its natural components, then Gatwick Express, Thameslink and soon Great Northern will qualify but not Southern for a while.

Looking ahead a bit, it will be fascinating to see a list in chronological order of who lost BR heritage stock in what order!
Cancel TPE from the list - they use Mark 3s.

xotGD

Established Member
Introduced bef
Not yet they don't.
Introduced before the end of 2017 in accordance with their franchise requirements. OK, we are waiting a while for the next passenger services, but they are using them on ecs runs.

Domh245

Established Member
Northern will be using their ex-BR sprinters and 319s until at least 2025 which is when the new franchise is due to be awarded, so I would think that they'll be the last one using ex-BR stock if the current trend of fleet replacement continues for all of the other franchises awarded before then.

AlexNL

Established Member
In a few years time you can add Greater Anglia to the list as they're replacing everything they've got.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does Heathrow Express count? (although in the strictest wording of the thread, they never did operate any BR stock in the first place)

I wonder who will be the final one? Possibly Great Western, Northern or Wales & Borders with ex-BR class 158s (and 165/66s with Great Western), or intriguingly ScotRail with ex-BR 125s?

Caledonian Sleeper if you regard locos as "stock" as Class 73's and Class 92's will be hauling new Mark 5 coaches for many years to come.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
332s never operated under British Rail I don’t think. That means Heathrow Express is added.

Established Member
You've got Merseyrail, Anglia, West Midlands although they will have 3 LU era Trains, and East Coast if they don't decide to retain any legacy 91/HST's to come in the next few years, the rest that aren't already BR era free are likely to have BR era stuff for some time.

TPE are only having MK3's for a very short period so its hardly worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Is it possible that the last ex-BR stock in operation isn’t operated by a TOC at all but London Underground on the Waterloo & City?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You've got Merseyrail, Anglia, West Midlands although they will have 3 LU era Trains, and East Coast if they don't decide to retain any legacy 91/HST's to come in the next few years, the rest that aren't already BR era free are likely to have BR era stuff for some time.

TPE are only having MK3's for a very short period so its hardly worth mentioning.
Though VTEC/ICEC is currently the only TOC with entirely BR era stock (67s on thunderbird duties notwithstanding), as the 80x aren't in service yet. Apart from the Cally Sleeper franchise (for now) that is.

C2C are another with no BR era stock, don't think they were mentioned above but may have missed it. They were the first to completely replace all legacy stock. EDIT: They were mentioned pretty early on. Oops!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
London Overground were on a wholly post BR fleet but when they were expanded to take over the local services out of Liverpool Street they rather dramatically regressed. They will again, however, in the near future be a whole post BR fleet once their new stock is delivered in the coming months.
Haven't they decided to keep a 315 for the Romford-Upminster shuttle?

Though VTEC/ICEC is currently the only TOC with entirely BR era stock (67s on thunderbird duties notwithstanding), as the 80x aren't in service yet. Apart from the Cally Sleeper franchise (for now) that is.
Merseyrail also has entirely ex-BR stock until their new fleet arrives.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Haven't they decided to keep a 315 for the Romford-Upminster shuttle?

Merseyrail and Northern also have entirely ex-BR stock until their new fleets arrive.
I always forget Merseyrail, even though I used to use them 5 days a week! :oops:
Northern have the 333s though, as mentioned by domh245 above.

Rail Blues

Who knows if the fleet replacement with new will continue at its current pace. I suspect it is a product of historically low interest rates and may well be curtailed when rates rise further and the consequences of Brexit start to take hold.

8J

I have a funny feeling that the last operator of BR stock will be SWR. I don't see the 158/159s being replaced anytime soon and if the 442s are successful, they will be staying way into the new franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.