• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tommy Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Brilliant! Almost in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

You might know it. Others disagree.

Brilliant indeed. High fives all round. Excellent sound bite you have there. :E

But is there any chance of a reasoned, thoughtful comment that:

A. Actually states your position;
B. Gives me something to meaningfully respond to?

Bedtime for me. Back onto the Raleigh with you, as you wobble off :p.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
But is there any chance of a reasoned, thoughtful comment that:

A. Actually states your position;
B. Gives me something to meaningfully respond to

Post #9. This thread.

As for the inference that my recent reply is neither reasoned or thoughtful...
"sneering attitude"...

Bromley boy

Established Member
I do like the assertion earlier in the thread that the authorities are doing nothing about grooming gangs. That alleged abuse in Telford wasn't properly investigated doesn't mean the same is true UK wide.

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon was live blogging outside a court where one such case was ongoing. He was arrested for doing so. Why? Because he was committing a contempt of court, breaching reporting restrictions. And doing so after a previous conviction for contempt where he received a suspended sentence and was told on no uncertain terms that if he did similar again he would go to jail. The restrictions put in place are not there because of some establishment conspiracy (as the far right loonies would have you believe), but because there are multiple accused being tried at separate times and in different locations. Reporting progress in one case could prejudice another. It's a very common restriction when there are multiple defendents and one Stephen Yaxley-Lennon chose to ignore. All other press and media outlets, whatever their political viewpoint, are adhering to the restrictions. Why? So justice can be served and the victims of the alleged abuse protected. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon's actions could have collapsed the ongoing trials. That just shows how stupid he is. No concern for justice or alleged victims. He chose to prejudice these trials simply because of the skin colour and religion of the accused.

As for the knuckle dragging neanderthals protesting for his release on our city streets yesterday, do they not realise he pleaded guilty? By doing so he's acknowledged what he did was wrong.

To paraphrase Brian Cohen's Mum. He's not a martyr. He's a very naughty boy.

The above text is from post #9 (your post).

I don’t think you’ve understood a single word I’ve said on this thread. The above has nothing to do with what I have been discussing. I fully agree with Tommy Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon’s imprisonment - he’s an odious individual indeed.

Perhaps you can explain how the above post is in any way relevant to the points I’ve made on this thread? I certainly can’t fathom it.

As for the inference that my recent reply is neither reasoned or thoughtful...

Just another soundbite.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
I don’t think you’ve understood a single word I’ve said on this thread. The above has nothing to do with what I have been discussing. I fully agree with Tommy Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon’s imprisonment - he’s an odious individual indeed.

There you go again. Questioning my comprehension. Another example of your questionable attitude to those who disagree with your opinion.

The thread is about Tommy Robinson. You asked what my opinion was. I gave it in post #9.

Recent widening of the debate, touching on supposed cultural issues around 'grooming gangs', knife crime and abuse within the Catholic Church, along with talk of the Jay Inquiry, are thread drift. I've no need to respond to your opinion on those. An effective rebuttal has already been given by takno.

bnm

Established Member
Back to the man himself, and his sentence.

Unfortunately, he could be out as early as 1st September.

Sentenced to 13 months (396 days) on 25th May 2018. Eligible for Home Detention Curfew (electronic tagging - must stay home during 7pm-7am usually) after serving one quarter of sentence (99 says). Stays on tag until the halfway points of his sentence (198 days) which is December 9th 2018. Then on licence for the rest of his sentence until 25th June 2019.

I expect one of his licence conditions to be to go nowhere near a court building. Unless of course he's the one in the dock! I hope he'll also be prevented from 'reporting' online while on licence and prevented from attending marches and demonstrations. It'd be nice though if he does breach conditions. Straight back to prison for the remainder of the sentence. Given S Y-Ls previous form in the criminal justice system that's a very real possibility. He's not the sharpest tool in the box.

bnm

Established Member
A rebuttal of my own preceding post.

I missed the fact that he was recalled to prison whilst on licence following his conviction for mortgage fraud. As he was recalled whilst on HDC during that sentence, he is ineligible for HDC again. Good. It's a statutory exclusion for HDC eligibility so no right of appeal.

He'll be in prison until his automatic release date at the halfway point of his sentence. Then on licence until June 25th 2019. I maintain my hope he is given onerous licence conditions.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When he does get out, he may have a few quid given various crowd funding campaigns. Although hopefully because of the type of people that support him, some campaigns will turn out to be scams and people run off with the cash instead.

bnm

Established Member
If not, given S Y-Ls previous financial misdemeanours, he'll probably use any money raised for him on his wardrobe and a new motor.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If not, given S Y-Ls previous financial misdemeanours, he'll probably use any money raised for him on his wardrobe and a new motor.

Quite likely. There can be a lot of money in promoting hate/fear it seems.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Tommy Robinson has been released from prison.

https://news.sky.com/story/tommy-ro...peal-over-13-month-contempt-sentence-11456073

Tommy Robinson has been freed on bail by the Court of Appeal after winning a challenge against a contempt of court conviction.

The Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett and two other judges in London quashed the finding and original 13-month sentence, made in May, at Leeds Crown Court.

He ordered a fresh hearing of the allegation and announced: "The appellant is granted bail and the matter of contempt at Leeds Crown Court is remitted to be heard again."

Geezertronic

Established Member
Seems to me that these Judges felt that proper process was not followed as the original conviction did seem a bit quick and "kangaroo court" like so it's good to hear that a fresh hearing has been ordered because there can be no questions about the guilt/innocence of the man then

bnm

Established Member
The muppet and his minions will be insufferable in the next few days.

Fingers crossed that the re-trial returns him to where he belongs.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We can hardly complain that a sentence is quashed IF there is any doubt behind that sentence, especially one so high profile. That is exactly what should happen in a just society. The matter has been returned to court for a re trial where innocence or guilt can be assessed and pronounced without doubt. It is worth noting the appeal was only partly successful. One contempt conviction was upheld. The other will be heard again.

Regardless of this result the man is still an odious criminal.

It wont be spun that way by supporters of Yaxley-Lennons of course!

bnm

Established Member
We can hardly complain that a sentence is quashed IF there is any doubt behind that sentence, especially one so high profile. That is exactly what should happen in a just society. The matter has been returned to court for a re trial where innocence or guilt can be assessed and pronounced without doubt. It is worth noting the appeal was only partly successful. One contempt conviction was upheld. The other will be heard again.

Regardless of this result the man is still an odious criminal.

It wont be spun that way by supporters of Yaxley-Lennons of course!

Well, guilt shouldn't be an issue. He's pleased guilty once! But I wouldn't be surprised if his legal representative suggests 'not guilty' next time.

Antman

Established Member
The muppet and his minions will be insufferable in the next few days.

Fingers crossed that the re-trial returns him to where he belongs.

Look whose talking!

Shame some people can't put their prejudices aside in the interests of justice.

Basher

Tommy Robinson is the product of the relevant authorities refusing to deal with certain issues. When rape gangs in Telford, Rotherham, Newcastle etc., are all being ignored because the police and authorities fear being labelled a racist, and when those on the far-left refuse to even discuss the issue and call people who dare speak of it racist, it was almost inevitable that people like Robinson, and quite a few nationalist groups like the English Defence League and Britain First, would be the ones to address it. If you ask me, few far-right groups would have the power they do today if politicians decided that equality meant treating British Pakistanis like everyone else and actually brought them to justice sooner for breaking the law and raping people.

As an individual, I don't think Robinson is so much malicious in intent as he is extremely misguided and irrational. He left the EDL because of extremists rising up in the party, which could be taken as an attempt to remove any association from the far-right. But not only is he now part of Rebel Media, he is breaking the law in contempt of court and probably isn't thinking things through. He's also got a confrontational vibe about him that makes it sound like everything is about to turn ugly. I think the man raises a reasonable issue to be addressed, but to me he has come across as a bit misguided in his efforts to try and report on the issues and has been irrational in his contempt of court. I had little sympathies for him when he went to prison in such a case.

As for why he's treated as a martyr? Well, because he's been made into one plain and simple. As long as the moderate and left-wing politicians turn a blind eye to foreign communities committing certain malicious acts just because the fear of being labelled as racist matters more than actually bringing rapists and grooming gangs to justice, then the vacuum gets filled by the right-wing. This is why Donald Trump was so popular among some people, because he actually had the balls to talk about issues the mainstream left and centrist even dare touch upon. It's too bad then that it had to be him to be elected to deal with the issue rather than someone more reasoned and rational who is able to see this issue as it is and deal with it accordingly. The populist will address the issue, but they won't even think about proper ways to solve it (ie. Boris Johnson with Brexit).

Ultimately, Tommy Robinson has support because he's been addressing issues the politicians dare talk about, and when the extremists join in, they start radicalising people by exploiting the concern that nobody else addressed beforehand. Imagine if you had a problem and nobody cared about it, going as far as insulting you and making out like you're something that you're not? Then suddenly one man comes along and offers to help you, and you accept his help. Since nobody else wanted to help, you have no interest in trying to listen to them anymore because they didn't care until now, and then anyone with actual malicious intent can exploit you without you even knowing so long as this person listens to you. It's how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader! Because one malicious individual did what nobody else would for him and offered to help him in his struggles.
You'r 100% right

Up_Tilt_390

Oh wow, almost forgot about this thread. I did know he had been released today even but things got in the way of me ever getting around to checking these threads out.

Ultimately, his supporters are celebrating a false cause. Just cause he’s on bail doesn’t mean he’s off the hook. It just means he is awaiting his next trial. I imagine some will want to set it in Leeds Crown Court just for the bitter irony of it with him not being allowed within 400m of there and all, but it’s not really fair even so I say just give him a fair trial like everyone should have.

Sadly I don’t think any conviction is going to change his ways. Just looking at his criminal record it'd be foolish to think he’ll get his act together. If he really wants to help rape victims from grooming gangs he needs to stop what he’s doing. But hey-ho, not gonna happen...

bnm

Established Member
Look whose talking!

Shame some people can't put their prejudices aside in the interests of justice.

If the muppet and his minions put their prejudices aside there would be no need for justice.

Bromley boy

Established Member
If the muppet and his minions put their prejudices aside there would be no need for justice.

On the subject of prejudice, are you looking forward to “stand up to racism’s” condemnation of Jezza’s handling of the Labour anti semitism crisis*?

As a group I note they’ve been forthright in their condemnation of Robinson/Yaxley/whatshisface, so I’m sure we can rely on them to be even handed in all matters concerning racism.

*I suspect we’ll be waiting a long time for it. :D

bnm

Established Member
On the subject of prejudice, are you looking forward to “stand up to racism’s” condemnation of Jezza’s handling of the Labour anti semitism crisis*?

Conflation. Another topic for another thread. Should there be one I'll give due consideration to answering your question. That's if I can be bothered to wade through the noise and chaff generated by both sides.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Conflation. Another topic for another thread. Should there be one I'll give due consideration to answering your question. That's if I can be bothered to wade through the noise and chaff generated by both sides.

But still relevant, since anti semitism is racism (unless you’re in the Labour Party).

Touché, might be interesting, I’m not sure I can be bothered to start one... :D

zuriblue

I think the lesson to be learned here is how easy it is for someone who’s manifestly guilty to get off on a technicality. And then consider the consequences if the Leeds trials had collapsed due to Yaxley-Lennon’s antics.

thejuggler

Apart from the fact he hasn't 'got off', he has been released on bail, until the case is reheard, you are correct that the appeal process he used is open to anyone, including those in the Leeds trial.

For Yaxley jail is merely an occupational hazard which works in his favour.

Antman

Established Member

All the time mainstream politicians sweep certain issues under the carpet there will be a role for "the muppet and his minions" as you so eloquently put it.

Whether there is a retrial remains to be seen.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
All the time mainstream politicians sweep certain issues under the carpet there will be a role for "the Muppet and his minions" as you so eloquently put it.

Whether there is a retrial remains to be seen.

There is going to be a retrial. Why wouldn’t there be?

Status
Not open for further replies.