• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris217

As nice as they are to see in service,
I cannot help but feel TPE are not having
the success they envisaged with Nova 3.
Hope things improve.
Good on them for trying though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't believe any of the CAF stock has really shone...yet. There seem to be design and quality problems across all of it, sadly. I'd imagine TPE are regretting not having ordered a homogeneous fleet of 80x, though I understand the reason for the split which due to the delays has not really brought benefit.

FFFC 57

I don't believe any of the CAF stock has really shone...yet. There seem to be design and quality problems across all of it, sadly. I'd imagine TPE are regretting not having ordered a homogeneous fleet of 80x, though I understand the reason for the split which due to the delays has not really brought benefit.
Early days yet. I reckon they will settle down once everybody who work with them become more familiar with them.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Currently on 1F62 from Huddersfield to Liverpool.
Having been on a 331 earlier, the ride is similar but rather smoother and quieter.
WiFi working but is called CAF-something, not TPE yet.
Loco pretty much inaudible once on the move.
PIS working with both doorway screens and a scrolling one-line destination/stops display.
Seats better than Northern's, seat backs a bit high compare to 185, but not as bad as EM cl 158 coffins.
Window alignment tolerable if not perfect.
Kept time nicely over the hills, but being checked now into Victoria.

Final problem - loco noise at cavernous places like Lime St.
Having quietened the station nicely with more EMUs replacing noisy DMUs, we now have a deafening roar for the half-hour turn round time of the LHCS (loco at the buffers today).
I presume the emissions are at least cleaner.

Last edited:

FFFC 57

Currently on 1F62 from Huddersfield to Liverpool.
Having been on a 331 earlier, the ride is similar but rather smoother and quieter.
WiFi working but is called CAF-something.
Loco pretty much inaudible once on the move.
PIS working with both doorway screens and a scrolling one-line destination/stops display.
Seats better than Northern's, seat backs a bit high compare to 185, but not as bad as EM cl 158 coffins.
Window alignment tolerable if not perfect.
Kept time nicely over the hills, but being checked now into Victoria.

Final problem - loco noise at cavernous places like Lime St.
Having quietened the station with EMUs instead of noisy DMUs, we now have a deafening roar for the half-hour turn round time of the LHCS (loco at the buffers today).
I presume the emissions are at least cleaner.
They pollute like a 31 but sound great, I know some people like peace and quiet though.

HUY2ROB

I was in Lime Street just before it left at 13:56 .It looks great but it is really noisy when idling.

ash39

Established Member
If it's a valid comparison, where was the equivalent of the GWR rollout of mark5s for tpe to learn from?

And what was the hst reliability figure in their first months of operation?

I acknowledged in my post that LNER had the advantage of GWR rollout in their favour. Having said that, the Caledonian Sleeper stock entered service before the TPE stock, surely some commonality between the two fleets should have resulted in some lessons being learnt and best practice being passed on between CAF staff?

I don't know the HST reliability figures from introduction as they pre-date me by over a decade. We also don't know the actual MTIN figure for the 68/mk5a fleet, we only have the information compiled by users on here. One thing is for sure, it doesn't make for good reading. Additionally, a technical incident doesn't necessarily result in the cancellation of a train, so comparing HST MTIN figures against 68/mk5a failures in service actually favours the TPE stock...

I can see that ‘Noisegate’ is gathering some momentum so here are a few stats, all in dBA min/max

Class 91
64.4/97.5
(Stood in station/powered up)

Class 68
(engine idling/engine powered up)
82.4/93.8

Class 37
(engine idling/engine powered up)
72.9/100.4

All recordings made from the yellow line on the platform.

Yes, the 68s are loud, but far from dangerous. It takes 120 dBA to damage hearing. So, enjoy, it’s all perfectly safe. The sound as an 802 clattered into the platform was over 100dBA, the wheel/rail interface on a curve produces more noise than a Class 68 on full power.
View attachment 68722 View attachment 68723 View attachment 68724

Interesting comparison. I don't think many people apart from a minority of extreme exaggerators are claiming that the 68's will damage hearing, more making a point that they are noisier than the trains they replace. I'd be interested to see the readings for a Valenta HST, they actually did hurt ears back in the day o_O

Polarbear

Established Member
Anyone out for the 05:56 from Lime St this morning-it’s sat at the station still & is “delayed”. Presumably some fault, though the 68 is making quite a bit of noise under the roof!

sjpowermac

Established Member
68025 on 1E23, loco on Liverpool end. Train terminated in platform 1 at York.

ashkeba

Established Member
I acknowledged in my post that LNER had the advantage of GWR rollout in their favour. Having said that, the Caledonian Sleeper stock entered service before the TPE stock, surely some commonality between the two fleets should have resulted in some lessons being learnt and best practice being passed on between CAF staff?
It looks like the CS has problems way beyond the stock including high turnover of too many related staff and conrractors, so I'm not sure lessons are even being learnt within CS and they seemed to be heading towards strikes.
I don't know the HST reliability figures from introduction as they pre-date me by over a decade. We also don't know the actual MTIN figure for the 68/mk5a fleet, we only have the information compiled by users on here. One thing is for sure, it doesn't make for good reading. Additionally, a technical incident doesn't necessarily result in the cancellation of a train, so comparing HST MTIN figures against 68/mk5a failures in service actually favours the TPE stock...
How do you figure that?

Maybe someone remembers the HST early numbers.

sjpowermac

Established Member
68028 worked light engine to Redcar today and yesterday on a TPE route learning trip. From December the Middlesbrough services will be extended.

0A90 08:13 York P SD-Redcar
0A91 10:15 Redcar-Middlesbrough
0A92 10:33 Middlesbrough-Redcar
0A93 11:08 Redcar-Middlesbrough Sidings
0A94 13:15 Middlesbrough Sidings-York PSD

68028 now sat on York PSD with 68032.
Same paths in for the rest of the week, might be worth keeping an eye out for:)

Last edited:

tpjm

Having said that, the Caledonian Sleeper stock entered service before the TPE stock, surely some commonality between the two fleets should have resulted in some lessons being learnt and best practice being passed on between CAF staff?

Less in common than you might think. The MkVa is different from the MkV in more ways than just a sleeper.

From a physical perspective, the Nova 3 is a fixed rake whereas the Sleeper is actual easily separable coaches - this means a different way of coupling.

The onboard systems are completely different to Sleeper as well. Nova 3 has more in common with Nova 2 and Class 195/331 in terms of kit.

The Class 68s being built by Stadler have also caused some challenges for interoperability, so of which have proved difficult to resolve.

Ultimately, just because they share the same body shell and part of the same name, it doesn’t mean they’re anything like each other.

Spartacus

Established Member

The best way of describing it is that it's a bit like loco hauled Mk3s and HST Mk3s, in that the two are so different as to be non-interworkable without substantial work being carried out on one or the other. Major differences are that the electrical supply systems are totally different and while the couplings on the Mk3s are the same, the HST stock lacks buffers.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
So is there a new date for starting of the 2 x Nova 3 in passenger service?

Do we even have a date for full squadron service?

FFFC 57

The best way of describing it is that it's a bit like loco hauled Mk3s and HST Mk3s, in that the two are so different as to be non-interworkable without substantial work being carried out on one or the other. Major differences are that the electrical supply systems are totally different and while the couplings on the Mk3s are the same, the HST stock lacks buffers.
HSTs don't need buffers, they have a fixed buckeye. They also lack RCH cables too, the lighting is controlled via the 36 way.

yrreb

So is there a new date for starting of the 2 x Nova 3 in passenger service?

Do we even have a date for full squadron service?
It should've have been today but it's more likely once one of them doesn't fail on depot, hopefully some point this week

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TP04:

1F48 05.55 MCV-LIV
1E25 06.56 LIV-SCA
1F62 10.41 SCA-LIV
1E39 13.56 LIV-SCA
1F76 17.44 SCA-LIV
1J53 20.56 LIV-SYB

TP09:
*Running in reverse formation*

1E23 05.56 LIV-SCA
1F60 09.41 SCA-LIV
1E37 12.56 LIV-SCA
1F74 16.44 SCA-LIV
1E51 19.56 LIV-SCA
1P98 22.46 SCA-MAN

Last edited:

AlfaPendular

TP04:

1F48 05.55 MCV-LIV
1E25 06.56 LIV-SCA
1F62 10.41 SCA-LIV
1E39 13.56 LIV-SCA
1F76 17.44 SCA-LIV
1J53 20.56 LIV-SYB

TP09:
*Running in reverse formation*

1E23 05.56 LIV-SCA
1F60 09.41 SCA-LIV
1E37 12.56 LIV-SCA
1F74 16.44 SCA-LIV
1E51 19.56 LIV-SCA
1P98 22.46 SCA-MAN

So this means that today is the first day with 2 Nova 3 sets? Let's hope for a complete run from both sets...

Status
Not open for further replies.