• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Andy b1

Established Member
There's only one suitable headcode for a path of that quality - 5H17! Being kind, I suppose it could have been 5P00...

Lol. :lol::lol::lol:

I know there only test runs but it's nice to see they run just like TPE passenger services. Late!!:D:oops:

Spartacus

Established Member
Delayed leaving depot due to signaller error at York resulted in London being put into plat 9

Nothing to do with a signaller error, it would have been a grave error to put it in it's booked platform and smash into a 185 stood there, and swapping the London from 5 to 9 meant people wouldn't have had to traipse over the footbridge or through the subway to get to it.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I thought that the first class did not look as good as the 185s first class.
Looked to be a good to me, but I guess we will have to ride the trains to assess them properly. Pictures taken through the window of the Mk5a set in York on Wednesday.

678E468E-2E41-47CF-8FC8-D6DA79BB0D2A.jpeg 1B4B6EF9-42F8-4DDE-8073-4F2A1F828C78.jpeg

fatmanmedi

I'm assuming that the first of the two pics are of first class, if so why is there only one socket for the two seats, surely there should be one socket per seat and why not use the type fitted to aircraft so that there is no need for adaptors for visitors. and I agree the seating looks vile, looks dated already.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm assuming that the first of the two pics are of first class, if so why is there only one socket for the two seats, surely there should be one socket per seat and why not use the type fitted to aircraft so that there is no need for adaptors for visitors. and I agree the seating looks vile, looks dated already.

It's the Standard seating that is more worth worrying about, the same rubbish as the Class 800, and as these aren't 125mph coaches there's no reason it needed to be, either.

DanNCL

Established Member
It's the Standard seating that is more worth worrying about, the same rubbish as the Class 800, and as these aren't 125mph coaches there's no reason it needed to be, either.
They are 125mph coaches - the only reason they'll not be running at 100mph is because of the 68s - if the 68 were ever to be swapped for a 125mph capable loco in the future the coaches are able to run at 125mph.

modernrail

I think they look great! After many many years going back and forth on this line this is the first intercity stock I will have ever experienced. A long time overdue but welcome nonetheless.

I think there will be problems with dwell times and that is a concern with current performance on the line. However maybe more carriages will help balance that out. I would have preferred a set up where two standard carriages had a high density mode with 1/3,2/3 doors but I presume that option would have been expensive. This is a mixed commuter/long distance service until they beef up local services properly to remove some of the commuter flows. Many more people get on/off at intermediate stations than many other intercity routes where a lot of the traffic is terminus to terminus.

Ih8earlies

With regards to: The first class pic showing a power socket. That pic only shows 1 of 2 power sockets, with the additional socket positioned underneath/in the table. (or for any 1st airline style window seat positioned on the carriage wall below the window)

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
I think they look great! After many many years going back and forth on this line this is the first intercity stock I will have ever experienced. A long time overdue but welcome nonetheless.

I think there will be problems with dwell times and that is a concern with current performance on the line. However maybe more carriages will help balance that out. I would have preferred a set up where two standard carriages had a high density mode with 1/3,2/3 doors but I presume that option would have been expensive. This is a mixed commuter/long distance service until they beef up local services properly to remove some of the commuter flows. Many more people get on/off at intermediate stations than many other intercity routes where a lot of the traffic is terminus to terminus.

Then again, there will be 10 doors per train (vs 6 for a 3-car class 185) so there will be more points to board/alight. It also helps to keep the air in...

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
They are 125mph coaches - the only reason they'll not be running at 100mph is because of the 68s - if the 68 were ever to be swapped for a 125mph capable loco in the future the coaches are able to run at 125mph.
68's are 125 capable, just track access and red tape costs keep them at 100.

Ben Bow

That latest internal update from TPE seems to imply that May is now the target for introduction of the mk.5's into passenger service, with 2 diagrams. More will follow over the summer.

w1bbl3

IIRC they're the same 1st seats as the 185's?

In 1st they're same Fansia seats as the IEP 800's just with a different head rest, standard are identical to the 800's. I'd expect the TPE's 800's to come with the same seats so that customer experience is the same.

Ben Bow

Yes, TPE should be very busy introducing new trains in 2019, although both the other fleets are also subject to delay from the original target dates. The Nova 3's are currently around 9 months late on the original plans.

SP Man

Then again, there will be 10 doors per train (vs 6 for a 3-car class 185) so there will be more points to board/alight. It also helps to keep the air in...
Only 9 useable doors for passengers. The one next to the locomotive is staff use only.

Spartacus

Established Member
I wonder if it would make more sense to have it in bodyside livery as per the cab door on the DT to help prevent passengers from trying to use it? I wonder if there'll be issues with passengers unfamiliar with the stock pressing it and panicking that they can't get on? We already know so many who are too blinkered to look at departure boards or notice out of use stickers....

Status
Not open for further replies.