• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
The Class 91 is a very complex piece of kit, delivered February 1988, first passenger service operated March the following year, and with a DVT from a different manufacturer.
Are you referring to their use with HST power cars as the Mark 4s were GEC-Alsthom built, like the 91s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjpowermac

Established Member
Are you referring to their use with HST power cars as the Mark 4s were GEC-Alsthom built, like the 91s.
Yes, Class 91 plus Mk3 plus modified HST power car.

To be fair, the railway was, of course, a different place back then. I suspect that contractual relationships/ customer expectations were a bit easier to manage!

On Moderation
Mk4s were Metro-Cammell, before Alst(h)om took control of Washwood Heath.
The Mark 4 build spanned the takeover period, which was in May 1989. In any case the entire IC225 had GEC-Alsthom as the prime contractor with Class 91 assembly sub-contracted to BREL Crewe and coach fit-out sub-contracted to Washwood Heath. The entire project was GEC-Alsthom’s responsibility, though.

Ben Bow

In conclusion, we’ve had two slightly different views from folk who seem close to the source. ‘BMI Flyer’ confirmed lots of extra CAF kit in the Class 68. ‘Benbow’ felt that the delays were down to the manufacturer being taken by surprise at the level of support expected by the customer.

I think our view is essentially the same. It is how issues with either the extra kit on the locos, the coaches, or both, have been dealt with which has taken time to resolve in some cases, and this has been down to a difference in culture to that which CAF are used to, and perhaps TPE's experience with other manufacturers. Anyway, the really good news is that dynamic testing will resume next week, if 2 sets are to be introduced from May, things really do need to crack on.

Last edited:
Yes.

Lots of stuff including:

CAF Control (so the loco can talk to the DT)
ASDO system
Door Controls for the coaches
PIS System and destination screens
Additional TMS system for the coaches
CCTV system (front facing from the cab and also a screen for interior of the coaches)
Slightly reconfigured cab layout to fit all the new kit.
Given these modifications, any idea how long would it take to convert another class 68 if TPE required an addition to their existing 14? (e.g. due to catastrophic failure)

sjpowermac

Established Member
Given these modifications, any idea how long would it take to convert another class 68 if TPE required an addition to their existing 14? (e.g. due to catastrophic failure)
As I understand it there are two spare locos over and above those allocated to TPE.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I think our view is essentially the same. It is how issues with either the extra kit on the locos, the coaches, or both, have been dealt with which has taken time to resolve in some cases, and this has been down to a difference in culture to that which CAF are used to, and perhaps TPE's experience with other manufacturers. Anyway, the really good news is that dynamic testing will resume next week, if 2 sets are to be introduced from May, things really do need to crack on.
Many thanks again. Yes, that is good news. Fingers crossed!

sjpowermac

Established Member
Thanks. Presumably doing their day-to-day DRS stuff but ready to be called in?
I assume so. Some of the TPE liveried ones have operated freight trains in this period prior to services starting but I’m not sure if that was before or after their cab modifications.

Ben Bow

68's with the full TPE mods have worked freight fairly regularly with DRS.
68033/034 are the TPE spare locos, fully mod'd but still in DRS livery. Interestingly owned directly by DRS and not leased from Beacon Rail as the other 32 are.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
One things for sure, the Class 68s seem to be working nicely but there not getting very many passengers moved.

Ih8earlies

Word is that training for "onboard crew" might start in March. By onboard crew we assume Conductors?

dilbertphil

Word is that training for "onboard crew" might start in March. By onboard crew we assume Conductors?

Up to now instructor training starts next month with driver training to follow in April. Not sure when the conductors training is running.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Rumour mill (via a TPE source) is that it will be July at the earliest before any new stock now enters service.

The planned Liverpool to Glasgow and occasional extension from Newcastle to Edinburgh will not now happen in May.

Rumour mill (via a TPE source) is that it will be July at the earliest before any new stock now enters service.

The planned Liverpool to Glasgow and occasional extension from Newcastle to Edinburgh will not now happen in May.

I really hope this is wrong, the crowding is just intolerable now between MAN-LDS, especially because they can’t run any 6 car 185s at the minute.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Very much a rumour.
Allegedly briefed out at some sort of management get together at lunchtime?

Leaked internal TPE comms from this afternoon now saying that the Nova 3 will be "introduced as soon as possible during the May timetable".

dilbertphil

Last we got told the 68 and Mk5's are coming in May. I got a date for my training on MK5's for April yesterday, so unless something had gone wrong since then I think May is still a realistic possibility.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Last we got told the 68 and Mk5's are coming in May. I got a date for my training on MK5's for April yesterday, so unless something had gone wrong since then I think May is still a realistic possibility.

The only problem is that CAF have not handed any Mk5a sets over to TPE yet for training or otherwise.
What's your training on Mk5a, a week or week and half.
Going to need a quite a few drivers and guards trained.to run 2 sets from May.
Cutting it very close so I can see why the rumour is the start will slip again to July.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Driver training on Class 68 continues between York and Scarborough, some days with two locos out. Here’s a link to a pic of 68023 last Saturday
https://flic.kr/p/2duDiR4
and a further pic below on Scarborough Bridge.

There’s a path next week for Monday into Tuesday
23:30 MID to Scarborough
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00286/2019/02/25/advanced

Returning Tuesday as
07:55 Scarborough to MID
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00287/2019/02/26/advanced

Fingers crossed they run this week:)

F3E4EE7B-FECC-4535-AF6D-020390580769.jpeg

Ben Bow

Drivers are entitled to 6 weeks notice for their mk.5 courses. As there are twelve weeks before the May timetable change, if notice is given to the first drivers now, you would have 6 weeks left to run courses. Each course is 8 days, so in those 6 weeks you could run 5 courses, with 4 drivers on each. That would produce 20 drivers trained up by the start of the timetable. Is that enough to operate 2 sets all day every day?
Not sure about the situation with guards, catering staff and station despatch staff. And that all depends anyway on getting at least one mk.5 rake to the point where TPE are prepared to accept it so that training can commence.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Drivers are entitled to 6 weeks notice for their mk.5 courses. As there are twelve weeks before the May timetable change, if notice is given to the first drivers now, you would have 6 weeks left to run courses. Each course is 8 days, so in those 6 weeks you could run 5 courses, with 4 drivers on each. That would produce 20 drivers trained up by the start of the timetable. Is that enough to operate 2 sets all day every day?
Not sure about the situation with guards, catering staff and station despatch staff. And that all depends anyway on getting at least one mk.5 rake to the point where TPE are prepared to accept it so that training can commence.
Is the initial plan as per last summer with the diagrams starting and ending in Liverpool? The reason I ask is that the driver training runs between York and Scarborough have been very active and I assume those same paths could be used for Mk5a training. I’d guess too that once some sets are in passenger service then training can take place on those workings. Agree though, May starts to look a bit of a forlorn hope but fingers crossed!

Ben Bow

Driver training on class 68's is winding down now, with around 80 drivers trained up. The light engine runs between York and Scarborough are currently a mixture of drivers being trained, and drivers who already sign 68's but need to drive one at least once per month to keep up their competency on the class. They are released from their booked duties to do this. After the next week or so, all such runs will be in that category, until the mk.5 training starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.