• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6700

I suspect RTT is a little behind at the moment...

This is now planned as Heaton to Tyne Yard, then Tyne Yard forward.

Woolly

As all the Nova 1s seem to be in regular use now, note that just 4 are still in undercoat grey:
But for how much longer....?

Here's 802211 at York today.

20200218_144819.jpg

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Having now started regularly commuting on the 802s I must confess I think they are very good. The seats don't get uncomfortable at all in the 90 minutes i spend on them. Interior noise and vibration on diesel significantly better than the 185s.

But most of all the 5 carriages appear to swallow up the crowds on most services.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Having now started regularly commuting on the 802s I must confess I think they are very good. The seats don't get uncomfortable at all in the 90 minutes i spend on them. Interior noise and vibration on diesel significantly better than the 185s.

But most of all the 5 carriages appear to swallow up the crowds on most services.

I am no great fan of the Fainsa Sophia as is well known, but when I've used the TPE ones I haven't felt the "metal bar" through my backside that you get on the GWR ones and is the main problem with the seat. It does seem that thicker moquette or cloth successfully masks it.

Yes, the capacity is much needed.

Class455

Established Member
Any idea when the remaining Manchester Airport to Newcastle diagrams currently in the hands of 185's will convert over to Nova 1 operation?
Also despite all Edinburgh to Liverpool services being worked exclusively by 802's now, I'm surprised that the reservation system still doesn't work whereas it does so on the Nova 3's

tpjm

Any idea when the remaining Manchester Airport to Newcastle diagrams currently in the hands of 185's will convert over to Nova 1 operation?
Also despite all Edinburgh to Liverpool services being worked exclusively by 802's now, I'm surprised that the reservation system still doesn't work whereas it does so on the Nova 3's
It mainly hinges on the PIS being functional which should then allow the Seat Reservation System (SRS) to download the correct data for the journey. The CAF and Hitachi fleets have different maintenance partners and therefore uploading of PIS data has to be done via a different process, which IMO is not as efficient when it comes to the Hitachi fleet. I believe it’s coming soon though.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Apologies of this has already been covered, but I’m a little confused by the last page of comments:

Do we have all 19 802s in regular service now?

Or do we not as someone implied that the Manchester Airport services still had 185s?

Southern Dvr

Apologies of this has already been covered, but I’m a little confused by the last page of comments:

Or do we not as someone implied that the Manchester Airport services still had 185s?

There either are have been until recently a lot of 350s still out and about on Airport runs, I recently noticed a 350/4 all liveried up in LNWR livery on a Manchester to Edinburgh run.

St. Paddy

From what I’ve read further up the thread, all 19 units have been used in passenger service, there are currently 11 weekday diagrams, hence why you’re still seeing 185s

Class455

Established Member
From what I’ve read further up the thread, all 19 units have been used in passenger service, there are currently 11 weekday diagrams, hence why you’re still seeing 185s
Do we have any idea when this is due to increase?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

According to gen postings, all the 802/2s other than 802201 have operated in service at some point this week so even though there are only a limited number of diagrams they are all being used. 802203/802211/802218/802219 still need to go to Eastleigh for modification and the TPE vinyls.

From what I can make out there should be 13 diagrams - eg effectively all the Liverpool to Edinburgh workings and 3 on the Manchester Airport to Newcastle cycles but that hasn't been managed this week.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There either are have been until recently a lot of 350s still out and about on Airport runs, I recently noticed a 350/4 all liveried up in LNWR livery on a Manchester to Edinburgh run.
I think the question was really only about the ECML services to the Airport which should become 802s, these can only be either 802s or 185s, the 350s will be WCML services?

SuperNova

There are 13 diagrams now that are 802's. Which will increase to the full 16 in the coming months.

SuperNova

350's are being replaced by 397's to work the WCML services. 350's are here until Easter I believe.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Spartacus

Established Member
Oh right, sorry I’d missed that. Seems incredible that they haven’t ordered 20, which would presumably remove that requirement?

Don't forget that the original order was for enough units to cover the disasterous old timetable with minimal turnarounds.

Roger B

And if they have an additional 802 available on the day, would that be used vice the 185? Any chance 802 availability might improve over time to make that the rule rather than the exception?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And if they have an additional 802 available on the day, would that be used vice the 185? Any chance 802 availability might improve over time to make that the rule rather than the exception?
The diagram going onto TP South probably rules that out, as 802s haven't been cleared on that route. It isn't worth going to the trouble of clearing them (particularly if anything needs moving) for one daily diagram.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Don't forget that the original order was for enough units to cover the disasterous old timetable with minimal turnarounds.

Didn’t learn from history. Tight turnarounds had been proven to not work when the Newcastle-Liverpool services were reintroduced. That was back in 2014 (ish) when arrivals from newcastle at Liverpool had 10 mins to turn around and headed off to scarbados while Those inbound arrivals also had just 10 minutes to then head to Newcastle. Staff were saying back then 10 minute turnarounds wouldn’t work and lo and behold the timetable did indeed fall apart, so diagrams were rejigged to send the Newcastle arrivals back out after 58 minutes while the Scarborough’s regained their original 22 minute turnarounds. I will never understand why they opted to return back to and ordered trains based on a proven unworkable and unpractically short turnaround time, knowing already the short turnaround times were disastrous to service presentation, punctuality and reliability across the network and even affected catering provision.

AndrewE

Established Member
Are the TPE 802 diagrams posted anywhere, alternatively is there a simple summary like "they are supposed to work every one of the Liverpool Edinburghs"?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are the TPE 802 diagrams posted anywhere, alternatively is there a simple summary like "they are supposed to work every one of the Liverpool Edinburghs"?
Yes, they definitely are supposed to work every Liverpool <> Edinburgh. It’s why we’ve been discussing the need for 10 units for that service in the last few days.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

They are supposed to work all of the Liverpool Edinburgh services and three of the Manchester Airport to Newcastle diagrams.
https://groups.io/g/Class-800-801-802 has more information.

This isn't quite happening at present with 185s operating some of the scheduled diagrams (not north of Newcastle).

If you look at this, you will note that some of the services scheduled to go to Edinburgh don't go beyond Newcasltle. The diagrams are very straightforward to trace in any case.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...5/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP

Status
Not open for further replies.