• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Rivers

Yeah you can do it on a laptop but it’s not like the real thing. I got more errors on the laptop than with a pencil and paper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainrave

I am extremely concerned at the news that the plug has been pulled on recruitment for the Sheffield work, which will remain with EMR.

I feel like our employment as trainees is at risk now, more than ever before.

Manda2194

I am extremely concerned at the news that the plug has been pulled on recruitment for the Sheffield work, which will remain with EMR.

I feel like our employment as trainees is at risk now, more than ever before.

I am not sure if this keeps everyone heads up. As of 3 weeks ago the plan was still to split everything

Obviously may have changed in the meantime but it could be other things like a lack of instructors and existing trainees way behind on their training.

TeaTrain

Is that something they offered to you or you applied?

I'm still at home waiting to start training!

CreamNCookies

Is that something they offered to you or you applied?

I'm still at home waiting to start training!
Applied for, thought may aswell look into it. Odds are if i passed my dmi id be in a pool for a while, so why not apply elsewhere and get the experience.

TeaTrain

Absolutely. Get a foot in the door and it will help tremendously! I hope they will contact you soon though!

CreamNCookies

I completely fluffed it. My heart wasnt in the interview at all. However, I have a huge insight into the DMI for when I get one with TPE.

CreamNCookies

The beauty of it was that as soon as i finished the interview i took note of some key questions and wrote them down. Im ready for TPE when the time comes.

CreamNCookies

The wait is worth it. Im fortunate to be in a stable position at the moment during these uncertain times.

But seeing that assessments are starting to get up and running again for other roles is a sign that the metaphorical train is starting to move.

Emilali

If you are based in the Newcastle area I’d be extremely surprised if theres any driver recruitment in the near future for TPE. Hope I’m wrong.

Shearer9

Just wondering if anyone has any updates as to whether any type of training has started yet? @TeaTrain , I know you were still waiting for a start, any updates at your end?

Have DMI's restarted yet to anyone's knowledge?

8J

In cab training hasn't resumed yet. It does look likely to resume soon with the "training bubble" concept but I believe finer details on this need to be agreed with ASLEF.

I will be honest and say I'd not hold much hope for these vacancies materialising at some if not all, depots. The company is already over establishment at certain depots and has a number of qualified drivers who are restricted waiting to be assessed to get back in driving.

I hope I am wrong and more people get a chance at becoming a driver, but I think it is only fair to be realistic.

Yabba

After waiting since February to hear anything I can confirm that I have a new job........it's not with TPExpress but I can't hang around forever so have been applying at other places. It's in the civil service and with a police officers pension. If TPExpress get back to me I can always say yes. But for now I feel like life is moving on a bit.

Moose27

Training recommenced this week I believe - trials are underway at certain depots for those closest to passing out. Believe the plan is to roll out further should these trials be successful.

Basic training still waiting, so I don’t think there’ll be any movement on new starters for a little while yet.

In cab training hasn't resumed yet. It does look likely to resume soon with the "training bubble" concept but I believe finer details on this need to be agreed with ASLEF.

I will be honest and say I'd not hold much hope for these vacancies materialising at some if not all, depots. The company is already over establishment at certain depots and has a number of qualified drivers who are restricted waiting to be assessed to get back in driving.

I hope I am wrong and more people get a chance at becoming a driver, but I think it is only fair to be realistic.

ASLEF signed off training at the beginning of September.

Shearer9

Training recommenced this week I believe - trials are underway at certain depots for those closest to passing out. Believe the plan is to roll out further should these trials be successful.

Basic training still waiting, so I don’t think there’ll be any movement on new starters for a little while yet.

Cheers for the update Moose, my fear is that these trainee driver jobs may never materialise in the end. It is good to know that training is slowly starting up again.

marty1977

Probably not what people want to hear but unless you've signed a contract I can't see any new driver jobs at TPE for a long time. There will almost certainly be a voluntary redundancy offer in the near future which a few older drivers will take up after that it is a fairly young driving compliment which will soak up all the work and anything that comes up in the future quite easily. There are literally dozens of qualified drivers who started just before the pandemic who are waiting to come in and start.

8J

Training has not recommenced across the board. There have been trials but there has been some issues picked up by the union. Therefore training has not resumed.

There is a difference between signing off and agreeing in principle.

Moose27

Training has not recommenced across the board. There have been trials but there has been some issues picked up by the union. Therefore training has not resumed.

There is a difference between signing off and agreeing in principle.

Fair - I know it hasn’t started at my depot and was subject to things going well.
Hopefully the issues can be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.