• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
I was watching old Intercity adverts on youtube and my favourite is the one where it goes When was the last time you saw a train with a puncture,( Then This Guy jacking up a class 43) When was the last time you saw a train get nicked then then this class 37 in police livery horn blaring chasing this HST:lol: I love that bit. What is your favourite train advert.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Has to be that one, klambert! They should bring it back!

[youtube]iN7naLLeB0A[/youtube]

Established Member
i like the BR/Intercity ones there all good as they bring back memories and a insight into wat it was like 20 years before i was born i saw one and you could go from London-Sheffield RNT for about £15 :D:D good old Jimmy Saville hehe!

Death

Established Member
Has to be that one, klambert! They should bring it back!
[youtube]iN7naLLeB0A[/youtube]
Many, many thanks for posting that guys! 8) <D

Although I was around in the 80's, I never ever saw that advert broadcast. I honestly have to say that that's the funniest advertisement for the railway that I have ever seen! :D:lol:8)

And lo, I found yet another argument in favour of that age-old campaign; Bring Back British Rail! <D

mathmo

I ended up in a train jam the other week (well, the TM called it "congestion") - the WCML fast line was closed for emergency engineering works so for a fair few miles we were stuck crawling along the slow lines - much like a traffic jam!

Established Member
I think i saw the Police 37 (years ago) ether that or the 47 i remember it well as i asked if it really was used by the police! haha

Darandio

Established Member
AFAIK, it was kept in service in that livery for some time, but was scrapped at some point (I can't remember what year). I'm not sure if it was reliveried before it was scrapped.

Best I can find on that is "withdrawn December 2001" and then "August 2005 - Unknown at Cardiff Canton MPD"

Daimler

Established Member
It's a great advert, but I do have to question the wisdom of their tagline. I understand the pun, but 'we're getting there' - hardly inspiring, is it?

Death

Established Member
BTP could have used it as high prescence vechile, at stations during large events i.e football matches. LOL!
But it does beg the question though...Why have a Police liveried 37 in the first place? :?:

After all, if the Police need to move either themselves or prisoners via rail, I'm sure they'd use passenger services like the rest of us! :)

It's a great advert, but I do have to question the wisdom of their tagline. I understand the pun, but 'we're getting there' - hardly inspiring, is it?
Bear in mind that those adverts were advertising the "new" InterCity service of the 80's. I'm no reliable source admittedly, but I believe that BR's InterCity network and rolling stock wern't exactly the best in the World before that time.

The HST, APT and IC-225 were all intended to play a major part in bringing in an image of "new trains, new service, and a new age in rail travel" which seemed to start off pretty well...But then Thatcher's government decided to use the railway as a personal latrine, and thence came privatisation. :roll:

fgwrich

Established Member
the virgin ones make me laugh because they promise so much, yet deliver so little (on time)

Just Like Cross Country...

That reminds me... does anyone remember when Virgin's Pendilinos first came about... they did a advert advertising they were more horny than hornby:lol:

SWT has now come up with some 1970's styled adverts advertising people to use there Ticket Machines... yet people still dont want to as they are riddled with SWT's expensive fares and missing stations...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTP could have used it as high prescence vechile, at stations during large events i.e football matches. LOL!

thatd be when they stop claiming there doing so well to stop vandilism... yet it seems there not... i should know, not only did i pass a SWT 159 a few weeks back thatd had been plasted in graffiti in exeter... a freind of mines a driver on the Bakerloo line... and vandilism seems to be on the up...:|

Status
Not open for further replies.