• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Of Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainofhope

Hi
I am a driver at Manchester Piccadilly and along with 4 colleagues we are organising a special event for a charity called CLIC Sargent. This charity helps children with cancer.
My event......
Train operators, the wider rail industry and celebrities have already offered their support and it is planned that pop impresario and rail supporter Pete Waterman will flag the special train away on its journey.
The steam-hauled special train, hired from West Coast Railway Company, will run on October 1st 2011, will be formed of luxurious, 1950 designed first class coaches, and hauled by a steam locomotive built in 1927, named Scots Guardsman. The train will run from Crewe to Carlisle over the Cumbrian fells and returning on the scenic Settle and Carlisle line. Catering on the train will be provided by Gravy Train Catering, whose staffs have many years working in the rail catering sector. Passengers will be able to indulge in a full breakfast on the outward journey and a five course dinner on the return.

A very special item, exclusive to the appeal, is a commissioned painting by John Cowley, who is member of the Guild of Railway Artists. The scene, set in the Second World War, depicts children being evacuated waiting to board their train at Crewe station. Both the original oil painting and a series of signed, limited edition prints will be sold to raise funds for the appeal.
While the rail tour is the headline event, the organising team are running a raffle and auctioning items on eBay. The raffle prizes and auction items have been donated by many generous sponsors. Auction items will be available on eBay from mid April and include exclusive items offered by the railway industry. These 'must have' items include the opportunity to experience a day on highly realistic driver simulators belonging to Virgin Trains, First Capital Connect and TransPennine Express.
Raffle prizes include two standard flight tickets to New York, two First Class dining tickets for UK Orient Express Tours and an overnight stay for two at Lucknam Park Spa and Hotel in Bath. The raffle will be drawn in September in Manchester.
Full details of the rail tour, the painting, the auction items and the raffle can be found on a special website- www.trainofhope.co.uk

I hope you can support in some way

thank you John Young.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
142 viewings and no feedback? :roll:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

networkrail1

Hi john.

yeh they are a weird bunch on here lol :D.

I didnt happen to get chance to reply to your post on the other forum but what i was going to say if there is anything i can do to help any of you guys just give me a shout ok.

All the best.

Simon.

P.S. as i believe you have passed the 5 posts mark i believe you can now PM anyone.

trainofhope

Hello Simon
thank you for posting and making contact. :D
Today and tomorrow we are attending Stockport & District Railway Modellers 2011 Exhibition at Stockport Grammar School. (SK2 7AF). I do not have a clue about model railways but it is in the hopes of selling some of our raffle tickets and also to promote the rail tour.
We have some fantastic raffle prizes like two tickets to New york Kindly donated by Virgin Holidays.
We will be needing a steward in each carriage and this will preferably be someone with rail experience. The down side is, you dont get your ticket any cheaper than me :D
If anyone would like an A3 poster they can display (not just to collect as these cost to print!) Please send me your details and amount required via pm. If you have access to a works printer I can send you this by email attachment.
We need as much help and support as possible. :D
Thank you.

Aictos

Established Member
I've sent you a PM about the train, any help I can do I'm more then happy to do so.

trainofhope

replied thank you :D
Hi
does anyone subscribe to the Railway Herald?
Page 13 :D
Thease guys have done us proud again.
thanks
Hi
Just thinking about getting it double headed or maybe another engine in rear...a deltic maybe ?

Last edited:
Hi
I am a driver at Manchester Piccadilly and along with 4 colleagues we are organising a special event for a charity called CLIC Sargent. This charity helps children with cancer.
My event......
Train operators, the wider rail industry and celebrities have already offered their support and it is planned that pop impresario and rail supporter Pete Waterman will flag the special train away on its journey.
The steam-hauled special train, hired from West Coast Railway Company, will run on October 1st 2011, will be formed of luxurious, 1950 designed first class coaches, and hauled by a steam locomotive built in 1927, named Scots Guardsman. The train will run from Crewe to Carlisle over the Cumbrian fells and returning on the scenic Settle and Carlisle line. Catering on the train will be provided by Gravy Train Catering, whose staffs have many years working in the rail catering sector. Passengers will be able to indulge in a full breakfast on the outward journey and a five course dinner on the return.

A very special item, exclusive to the appeal, is a commissioned painting by John Cowley, who is member of the Guild of Railway Artists. The scene, set in the Second World War, depicts children being evacuated waiting to board their train at Crewe station. Both the original oil painting and a series of signed, limited edition prints will be sold to raise funds for the appeal.
While the rail tour is the headline event, the organising team are running a raffle and auctioning items on eBay. The raffle prizes and auction items have been donated by many generous sponsors. Auction items will be available on eBay from mid April and include exclusive items offered by the railway industry. These 'must have' items include the opportunity to experience a day on highly realistic driver simulators belonging to Virgin Trains, First Capital Connect and TransPennine Express.
Raffle prizes include two standard flight tickets to New York, two First Class dining tickets for UK Orient Express Tours and an overnight stay for two at Lucknam Park Spa and Hotel in Bath. The raffle will be drawn in September in Manchester.
Full details of the rail tour, the painting, the auction items and the raffle can be found on a special website- www.trainofhope.co.uk

I hope you can support in some way

thank you John Young.

Very inspirational and I wish you all the best I will certainly mention it to fellow spotters on my travels to ensure their awareness in the meantime ill check the website and ebay and get bidding! :D

trainofhope

Hi
Just recieved a nice addition to our donations.
a day with my NR colleague at Victoria in the signalling training centre which includes a simulator. ( we have been donated 2 of these ).
One will go for auction on eBay, one might go for an advert in a rail magazine and go to the person who bids the most. Not sure yet.
Thank you Network rail again!
For those that dont know
Network Rail have also given us the pathing for free of charge for the actual rail tour :D.
Hi

this is the first tour we have organised.

I see that a few other companies charge £15 extra per person to sit at a table for 2 :o

Advice please. Should I go for one headboard to auction off on the train or postal bids

or 2 one for the outward journey and one for the return?

these would ofcourse be accompanied with photos?

your thoughts please :)

networkrail1

Hi
Just thinking about getting it double headed or maybe another engine in rear...a deltic maybe ?

HI

Wouldn't a diesel spoil the event as originally it was a steam.

Me personally (even though i absolutely hate steam) would be to either keep it as a single steam loco or if you did want to double head the train then i would personally go for another steam.

That's just my opinion anyway.

All the best.

Simon

trainofhope

HI

Wouldn't a diesel spoil the event as originally it was a steam.

Me personally (even though i absolutely hate steam) would be to either keep it as a single steam loco or if you did want to double head the train then i would personally go for another steam.

That's just my opinion anyway.

All the best.

Simon

Hello!
Let me explain my post in slightley better english.....
Do you think if I was to write to other loco owners for another STEAM engine so we could have it double headed AND/OR if I was to get another diesel for the REAR would it cause interest?
It does not really matter as we have decided to keep the formation how it is. Both! We might need heating in October or a little push over shap ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Hello!
Let me explain my post in slightley better english.....
Do you think if I was to write to other loco owners for another STEAM engine so we could have it double headed AND/OR if I was to get another diesel for the REAR would it cause interest?
It does not really matter as we have decided to keep the formation how it is. Both! We might need heating in October or a little push over shap ;)

Is it possible to turn a loco either by running round a loop of some kind or on a turntable at Carlisle? I only ask this as the steam loco would obviously be heading south on the return leg the wrong way round!

Also, of the few steam tours I've seen photos of recently, they usually have a diesel loco on the rear to supply heat and head the return leg. WCRC may suggest that to you anyway... :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is it possible to turn a loco either by running round a loop of some kind or on a turntable at Carlisle? I only ask this as the steam loco would obviously be heading south on the return leg the wrong way round!
Yes, there is a triangle used for reversing steam locomotives formed by London Rd Junc. to Currock via Bog Junction and back into Carlisle via the M&C lines.

Given the number of steam tours that terminate at Carlisle, you would hope that there'd be some way of turning the loco for the return journey! ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Yes, there is a triangle used for reversing steam locomotives formed by London Rd Junc. to Currock via Bog Junction and back into Carlisle via the M&C lines.

Given the number of steam tours that terminate at Carlisle, you would hope that there'd be some way of turning the loco for the return journey! ;)

Well I did think that, but thought I'd double check ;). LOL. Cheers for that :).

trainofhope

Hi
the loco will be run round so its gacing the correct way!
yes a 47 in rear for train heat
thats why I previously put would double heading ( with steam of course) or an extra diesel cause more interest. But that does not matter now as we will stick with the formation we have.
thanks John
Thank you to the kind chap that sent in £10 for 5 raffle tickets today.

Another 2 seats gone today. :)

Watch out for our issue 2 of the Virgin Trains onboard magazine out in July ;)
Hi
an update for you :)
Today we are getting our Limited Edition Prints signed by the artist.
We will eventually be putting these on sale through the website.
There are stictly 200 approx size A3
all will be signed by the artist John Cowley and hopefully some will be signed by Pete Waterman.
We are hoping to do the prints at a cost of £35 plus £4.99 p&p
Artist and Pete Waterman signed at a cost of £50 plus 4.99 p&p
There is a photograph of The original on our website.
What do you think?
Thank you.:)

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Very nice, what kind of steam locomotive is it though?

trainofhope

The painting depicts children being evacuated from Crewe to Wales in 1940.
The LMS Compound was a Leicester engine at this time.

Hope that helps. :)

Aictos

Established Member

trainofhope

please be sure to note trainofhope2011

Guided Tour Round RAF Odiham

VIRGIN TRAINS VOYAGER 220 / 221 UNIQUE NOSE SHIELD

TPE Simulator Day for 10 !

Longsight Depot Tour

Some Of The Models From BAE Systems

Cuneo Print Framed.

Visit Round Rugby SCC

some special items there.

now live http://shop.ebay.co.uk/trainofhope2011/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
2 more items added to the auction list

trainofhope

all for charity

Hi
Advance warning of what is going to be listed on eBay Wednesday 13th July 2011.
1. Virgin train Class 390 Simulator for 2. First class travel on Virgin Trains plus overnight hotel accommodation.
2. Neville Hill Depot Tour with a special extra!
3. Manchester Piccadilly Signal Centre tour.
4. First Capital Connect Cab ride and Simulator.
5. Highmill self catering weekend for 12 or a week for 2!
6. TPE first class tickets.
7. RAF typhoon display team VIP day at RAF Coningsby
8. BAE Typhoon limited edition print signed by Jon Westwood.
9. A £256 voucher off Red Lodge Karting.
not on ebay but

MattE2010

told me I should add this here

headboard for sale is open to offers for after the charity event all monies going to the charity CLIC Sargent

http://www.trainofhope.co.uk/Train-Headboard.php

is that right to add it to this thread? as its not the right title now?

MCR247

Established Member
Is it for real trains or training facilities? :P

[JOKE, DON'T TAKE OFFENCE AND PLEASE CAN WE NOT REOPEN THE DEBATE]

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Why do you keep creating these threads? You started one about flogging stuff on eBay a few days ago. Why not just keep it all in one thread? :|

trainofhope

sorry if i have offended

I normally just drive trains

dont do the forum thingy

but as its for charity I am trying my best. :roll:

Aictos

Established Member
Some very good items there, well worth the raffle tickets.

Alan1310

i know there really isnt an answer to this but any idea how much the cab ride might fetch ie has this sort of thing been done in the past and anybody know how much they went for
cheers

whhistle

On Moderation
I do agree about it being in one thread.
Charity is charity and I only support one as there are far too many working independently when they should be working together :/

But good stuff and for a good cause (Y)

RAPC

Some great auctions there. Good luck with raising plenty of money through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.