• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train runs over camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said he waits for the lights to change before placing the camera, those lights wont change until the train is nearly at the crossing so there is a fair chance that the train driver will see the op in front of him, the idea of those lights is so we can see the crossing i clear!

Where exactly is the crossing he is using

20150517_111354.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Can I just ask a question.

Why on earth would you want to do this? I can understand filming trains, but this?

Hope you get nicked, and your videos have been reported to BTP and NRs community safety team.

itsjamierawr

From a non-railway worker and non-spotter perspective this is a very risky and bad idea. It might produce cool videos but the simple act of going onto the crossing and stopping, fiddling with a camera etc would be enough to distract you from a train coming should the situation change or the alarms not sound. People using the crossing normally would check it's clear then walk across it without stopping - this means if the situation changes they will most likely be off the crossing by the time a train arrives.

It's the same reason I wouldn't stop on a level crossing when driving - my local crossing (St Dunstans in Canterbury) is on a busy street. Just yesterday I was driving down there, crossing was clear but the car in front stopped just after the crossing. I put the brakes on and stopped in time (I was expecting it to keep going) just as the warning alarms sounded and the barriers came down - I know the timetable and a train had passed minutes before but there was another one running a little late so instead of the barriers staying down for that they went up and back down again. Same thing could happen with you. If I hadn't stopped or had kept going onto the crossing assuming that other car would move then there'd be a good chance I wouldn't be typing this right now!

(Besides, in my opinion videos where you can actually see the train rather than the underside look a lot better!)

g8396

123trainmad456, are you aware of the potential bill you could face from the train company if you camera was to strike and damage the underside of the train?

g8396

I'm aware its not likely, but at the same time possible. Having seen some of the damage that gets caused underneath by rogue pieces of ballast

455driver

Veteran Member
A piece of ballast is a solid lump, a camera would simply disintegrate on impact. I cant see a camera bouncing off the bottom of a train causing any damage.

scott118

I'm aware its not likely, but at the same time possible. Having seen some of the damage that gets caused underneath by rogue pieces of ballast

surely a camera would break up, whereas ballast, by the very nature of its purpose, wouldn't?

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Is there any chance that a camera hitting the bottom of a train could be thrown into something else, e.g. 123trainmad456, a house, a car?

Moonshark

A piece of ballast is a solid lump, a camera would simply disintegrate on impact. I cant see a camera bouncing off the bottom of a train causing any damage.

I was quite surprised to see the damage the small gardening tool did to the Voyager that hit it at Swinton last year. That said a camera's probably more of a danger to the person filming, if it flings up and hits them.

Established Member
I think it's a daft idea to put a camera on a track - especially after the warning siren of an approaching train has sounded. I am absolutely speechless

I'm glad that the videos have been reported. Unfortunately there will be somebody who wants to replicate a similar angle and they may not be as lucky as the poster of those videos has been. I think that carriageline reporting them to the BTP and Network Rail's safety team was the right thing to do

I personally don't see the interest in filming the underside of the train either. Apart from the obvious factors of potential injury to yourself or somebody else - why risk damaging or losing a camera for the video of the underside of a train? Cameras aren't cheap and I certainly wouldn't put my camera in a precarious position risking damaging or losing it just to get a "cool" video

455driver

Veteran Member
I was quite surprised to see the damage the small gardening tool did to the Voyager that hit it at Swinton last year. That said a camera's probably more of a danger to the person filming, if it flings up and hits them.

Was that the wood chipper?
If so not exactly something you could pick up easily in one hand!

If its a hand gardening tool then it would probably have been predominantly made out of metal which a camera wont be.

The 4th Rail

I'm confused at why this has caused so much anger. From what I've read 123trainmad456 is placing his camera inbetween the tracks before any warning lights/ buzzers have gone off indicating the crossing is safe to cross and walking off immediately. He is probably spending less time on the crossing than an elderly person or a pushchair. The only point I agree with, is the risk that copycats may start doing this seconds before trains approach.

1e10

Was that the wood chipper?
If so not exactly something you could pick up easily in one hand!

If its a hand gardening tool then it would probably have been predominantly made out of metal which a camera wont be.

Yeh, it was a wood chipper.. hardly a "small gardening tool"!

As the camera has clearly been placed on the ballast and the crossing permits you to cross on the boarded area, could this technically constitute a trespass incident?

Last edited:
I'm confused at why this has caused so much anger. From what I've read 123trainmad456 is placing his camera inbetween the tracks before any warning lights/ buzzers have gone off indicating the crossing is safe to cross and walking off immediately. He is probably spending less time on the crossing than an elderly person or a pushchair. The only point I agree with, is the risk that copycats may start doing this seconds before trains approach.

i atleast spend around 5 seconds on the track
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So if I understand correctly, you wait until the lights change to red and the alarm sounds and then place the camera on the track, is that right?

If so then you ARE trespassing because once the lights go red its a railway and no longer a foot crossing. Its the equivalent of jumping over the level crossing barriers when they are down!

wrong i actully place the camera down when the light is green not RED you only watch the edited version of the video not the whole thing what i might do is put up a video of the FULL VIDEO so you peeps actually see the full picture.
Is that Westford foot crossing, just west of Wellington?

Can i ask why you want to know do you spot here ???
Yeh, it was a wood chipper.. hardly a "small gardening tool"!

As the camera has clearly been placed on the ballast and the crossing permits you to cross on the boarded area, could this technically constitute a trespass incident?

Wrong AGAIN what i love about you lot is that you assume do something i stay on the board and place the camera on the nearest sleeper The video i am uploading shows the full thing and will prove some of you wrong. video will be up later tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebigcheese

I would consider the potential reaction of someone ringing the police to report "a bloke putting an electronic device on the tracks" - I imagine quite a swift response would occur.

najaB

Veteran Member
Here you go the FULL un edited version of the class 70 running over my camera video it shows you what i really do...
I can see that in this particular video you didn't do anything specifically dangerous, but I still advise against it for two reasons. First, you said that you put the camera out and then leave it until the train has passed. Yet in this video you went back out after 1:25 to move the camera. So in your mind you are a lot safer than you are in your actions. Since you've started down the slope of risk normalisation, it's only a matter of time until you go back out just a little too late.

The second reason I counsel you to stop making these videos is that you probably got the idea from watching someone else's video and thinking "That was cool, I want to make videos like that." The railway is a dangerous place for untrained people working without adequate protection, it's irresponsible to encourage misuse of crossings or tresspass.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Most of us did really daft things as children. I think the problem with this particular daft thing is that it doesn't really feel intuitively dangerous to someone who's not all too familiar with the railways, and it's hard to convince people on the internet how much they're endangering themselves by doing it.

alxndr

Established Member
I did lots of daft things as a kid living near a quiet branch line with a train only every hour at comparatively slow speeds, but I was a nothing more than a näive kid. Thinking back to what I did then, with the knowledge I now have, I realise I was an idiot and I cringe at my stupidity. I thought I knew I was safe, in reality I was just guessing and hoping. I certainly never encouraged anyone to join me (as you are through those videos), I never even risked my dog back then.

The risk of complacency that najaB mentioned is very real, and has caused countless near misses, injuries, and fatalities of people who had worked on the railway for years, and were fully PTS qualified. The moment you begin to feel comfortable trackside is the moment you're most at danger. You should never, ever, forget that there is always potential for a massive lump of metal to come hurtling towards you at up to 100mph, and it will not stop. I've seen too many videos and heard too many stories to forget.

These days even if I'm working with TOWS and lookout protection I'm always ready to move at a moments notice, and aware of my surroundings. On the other hand, you don't realise the risk involved, and aren't aware of your surroundings because you're preoccupied with the camera.

What I'm most concerned about though is the fact you say there's an adult present in your video description. What adult condones messing around on a railway?

I did lots of daft things as a kid living near a quiet branch line with a train only every hour at comparatively slow speeds, but I was a nothing more than a näive kid. Thinking back to what I did then, with the knowledge I now have, I realise I was an idiot and I cringe at my stupidity. I thought I knew I was safe, in reality I was just guessing and hoping. I certainly never encouraged anyone to join me (as you are through those videos), I never even risked my dog back then.

The risk of complacency that najaB mentioned is very real, and has caused countless near misses, injuries, and fatalities of people who had worked on the railway for years, and were fully PTS qualified. The moment you begin to feel comfortable trackside is the moment you're most at danger. You should never, ever, forget that there is always potential for a massive lump of metal to come hurtling towards you at up to 100mph, and it will not stop. I've seen too many videos and heard too many stories to forget.

These days even if I'm working with TOWS and lookout protection I'm always ready to move at a moments notice, and aware of my surroundings. On the other hand, you don't realise the risk involved, and aren't aware of your surroundings because you're preoccupied with the camera.

What I'm most concerned about though is the fact you say there's an adult present in your video description. What adult condones messing around on a railway?

i am PTS qualified So and also im always looking around for a train im not a 12 yr old kid ****ing about im an adult who at times knows what he is doing im to far peed off now because all you know it all taking something so small to the extreme im not dead am i im not going to do the under train anymore because you guys here have taking the ****. if someone decided to copy me in a matter that's there own fault but i do this safely and carefully. I Was with 5 elderly gentlemen the other day filming my steam train and they did not complain stop me or try to point out dangers maybe because they were with me and saw what i was doing was not dangerous.
if you keyboard warriors was with me you might actually see what i do is not dangerous. watch the video also and count how long my camera was there yes i checked my cam to see if it was recording but its not like i sat on the line on my phone so all of you are taking this too far.

Chouette

It's more traditional (and much safer) to hang around on bridges than level crossings. The drivers often waved at us.

Just don't climb over the edge and hang down. Because that would be about as dangerous as what you're doing here.

And yes, I trespassed as a kid too, but had enough sense to go nowhere near the actual tracks (extremely wide grass verges, low fence, couple of wayward balls, still something I would never do now)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
i am PTS quilified So

In which case why does the description on your videos say:

Just to put your mind at peace this video was made with an adult and at a non-trespassing location which means i did not jump a fence or force my way onto the track.

If you're PTS qualified then why mention there is an adult with you? Or are you perhaps being a bit generous with the truth when you say your PTS qualified ;)

alxndr

Established Member
i am PTS quilified So

Really. Yet you couldn't provide an answer when asked the safe distance from the line earlier... Who sponsors you? Where did you take your course? How long should you be in a position of safety before the passage of a train?

I presume you also hold IWA... And old enough to hold PTS.

455driver

Veteran Member
I am PTS qualified So

Is that an NR (including sub-contractors) or TOC issued PTS?
If it is you will know that PTS entitles you to go on or near the line in the course of your duties when required, it does not entitle you to use it as a trackside pass.
If it isn't then it isn't worth the paper it is written on!

How would you feel if some 15 year old sees your videos and decides to copy them but ends up getting wiped out by a train?
Your videos are not the problem, the message they send out is.

Established Member

If you're PTS qualified then why mention there is an adult with you? Or are you perhaps being a bit generous with the truth when you say your PTS qualified ;)

I thought that myself Ainsworth74. Something doesn't quite add up there! :?

I am actully a PTS quilfied not with mainline so actually you could say i lied but somewhere else!! with a railway line used daily just like the mainline :)
Is that an NR (including sub-contractors) or TOC issued PTS?
If it is you will know that PTS entitles you to go on or near the line in the course of your duties when required, it does not entitle you to use it as a trackside pass.
If it isn't then it isn't worth the paper it is written on!

How would you feel if some 15 year old sees your videos and decides to copy them but ends up getting wiped out by a train?
Your videos are not the problem, the message they send out is.

Ahh Okay
what i like to happen is we bring this to a end now i get the point and will not continue filming the trains from the track stick to normal location far from the track i apologise for what has happened and hope this can end here. anyone else has a point please just let it go. also i will stop using this website now because i only made an account for you to have a go at :p lol but im sorry and i hope you can stop here and understand i have listened and no more videos like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.