• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Established Member
Funny you should say that. I was coming home a couple of weeks ago and spotted two young lads on a foot crossing making the same horn gesture, one was even wearing a orange HV vest:roll:

They do that so the driver blows up - I have had it a few times - as a driver you see anything that even resembles an HV vest you sound the horn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

strange6

Established Member
Fair enough, that's spelling. I can believe that spelling standards are not what they should be, but poor spelling is quite a way off 'hardly [being able to] read or write'! :p

I see what you mean
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a driver I often see people making the 'create vacuum' handsignal, or in other words mimicking a rather frantic attempt at flushing a Victorian toilet. That is actually something which gives me an instant red mist. Besides breaking railway regulations, unnecessary use of the horn ruins videos by drowning out the engine noise. If you want horns, buy yourself one and sit in your bedroom with a photo of a 66.

As for these videos on You Tube of this that or the other 'with tones' etc, I just don't even bother to look, wether or not it could be noisy thrash.

right on the money. many a high speed deltic video has been ruined by the ruddy horn being blown like a madman
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They do that so the driver blows up - I have had it a few times - as a driver you see anything that even resembles an HV vest you sound the horn.

I bet it was worn deliberatley for that very reason.

Nym

Established Member
I've had PPE And High Vis Clothing on on a station before, but it was only because I'd finished work and it's the only waterproofs I had, that and it said HURST MANCHESTER AIRPORT on the back of it...

GB

Established Member

Due to the low line speed and short sighting distance you could easily see it wasn't a genuine railway employee as soon as you laid eyes on him.

I genuinely believe that most spotters don high viz because A it makes them feel special and B they think it allows them to go/do what they want.

strange6

Established Member
Due to the low line speed and short sighting distance you could easily see it wasn't a genuine railway employee as soon as you laid eyes on him.

I genuinely believe that most spotters don high viz because A it makes them feel special and B they think it allows them to go/do what they want.

I don't know about your B but your A is correct. They'll see plenty of railway people in hi-vis so the basic psychology suggests that if they wear something similar then they'll feel part of the crew/railway and therefore get a buzz from it. I also think that they'll think that other people will see them somehow being railway related for yet another buzz

TGV

I sometimes take my kids to see the trains. They are young kids and naturally wave. More often than not, the drivers will wave back. Sometimes they will blow the horn and wave. We aren't spotters and we aren't videoing anything. The kids love it though.

As an aside I have PTS and know how to behave on a railway and teach my kids likewise but now and then when a special comes through you get all kinds of idiots coming out of the woodwork. When I'm at work I sometimes encounter over-enthusiastic enthusiasts but I've never personally had cause to see them as anything but an embarrassment to themselves. They will look at their own YouTube creations in years to come and cringe.

WestCoast

Established Member
They will look at their own YouTube creations in years to come and cringe.

I am not a spotter at all, I'm afraid it's not something that interests me much. Although, no one should be told what hobbies they can or can't have or be branded as "sad".

However I have seen some of the YouTube videos, and yes a fair number are pretty cringe worthy and have really bad music added which adds absolutely nothing.

Yet I can still see what they are trying to do to an extent, as the hobby is perceived as "sad" by a lot of people (especially by the younger generation, although I think this attitude exists throughout the generations). In some ways, I think they are trying to glam-it-up, make it 'cooler' and more acceptable to peers. Make it more akin to more 'accepted' hobbies perhaps motorsports or football.

strange6

Established Member
I am not a spotter at all, I'm afraid it's not something that interests me much. Although, no one should be told what hobbies they can or can't have or be branded as "sad".

However I have seen some of the YouTube videos, and yes a fair number are pretty cringe worthy and have really bad music added which adds absolutely nothing.

Yet I can still see what they are trying to do to an extent, as the hobby is perceived as "sad" by a lot of people (especially by the younger generation, although I think this attitude exists throughout the generations). In some ways, I think they are trying to glam-it-up, make it 'cooler' and more acceptable to peers. Make it more akin to more 'accepted' hobbies perhaps motorsports or football.

I would much rather the youngsters do what they do rather than them being anti-social and causing all sorts of trouble. Let em get on with it is what I say :)

driver9000

Established Member
As a driver I often see people making the 'create vacuum' handsignal, or in other words mimicking a rather frantic attempt at flushing a Victorian toilet.

I often wondered why they were asking me to create vacuum when I drive air braked trains :lol: I pointed out to one lad that I was unable to carry out what he was requesting of me....I don't think he got it.

I like to think that I'm approachable and friendly, if there is time I will gladly pass the time of day with enthusiasts on the station. I've never understood My lords and hellfire though. Or flailing.

strange6

Established Member
I often wondered why they were asking me to create vacuum when I drive air braked trains :lol: I pointed out to one lad that I was unable to carry out what he was requesting of me....I don't think he got it.

I like to think that I'm approachable and friendly, if there is time I will gladly pass the time of day with enthusiasts on the station. I've never understood My lords and hellfire though. Or flailing.

Personally, I think they read out-of-date material pertaining to 1st generation stock hence the vacuum stuff and all this thrash nonsense when the driver had control of the revs. Like I said before, much rather them doing this than out somewhere terrorising OAP's etc To tell you the truth, I was a bit like that myself with the old GM Leyland Atlantean buses with their pneumocyclic gearboxes. i always loved it when the driver put it in overdrive and reved the thing to maximum revs. Made a lovely sound!

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member

I must admit I sometimes will use My Lordz and Hellfire at times :oops:
Flailing is something I used to do when I was younger, but would be too embarrased to do it now, besides I'ld rather be glugging my beer and watching the scenery go by!

class156

Since I appear to be the first young person to reply to this thread I will give my views on the silly people that do crazy things for "mega tonez". Firstly The video's Ainsworth74 linked to...

Right I've done a bit of digging around on youtube for you and I've found the clips in question. First is this one of a IC225 belting through Northallerton then there is this (by a different guy but they were both there at the same time) of the TPE driver telling them to get back. There is another here from the same day of a XC 220. Having watched the footage again I'd forgotten how stupid this pair of idiots were.

When I watched these videos the first thing that came into my head was "What a bunch of idiots." These people are the type of people that give other rail enthusiasts such a bad reputation, it sickens me to think that enthusiasts like these are spoiling the hobby for everyone else. I would never act like this and if I seen anybody acting in this manner I would give them the bollocking they deserve. It also annoys me that the way that some of the posts in this thread are worded as if all younger enthusiasts act this way and I know that it's not intentional to word it like that but it's the minority that act this way.

P.S, I have never made the "flushing toilet gesture" to try and encourage the driver to blow the horn as I'm aware that the driver has more important things to do than give tones.

scotsman

Established Member
Look, I'm going to own up and admit I was one of these idiots with cameras in the past. It's just daft, the sign is actually more recognised thanks to shows like The Inbetweeners (where they do it with a truck) - I did it the other day as I was walking back from the bakers to a 158, I got a toot, it made me smile...two sides to every story I suppose.

But, really going out taking videos and asking for horns is daft, pointless and makes you look like an idiot.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I dunno, I think it is nice to give somebody a tone if it brightens their day. Especially a bairn! Maybe not those 12 and over though. Scotsman, you are honourably excepted!:D

Eng274

Right I've done a bit of digging around on youtube for you and I've found the clips in question. First is this one of a IC225 belting through Northallerton then there is this (by a different guy but they were both there at the same time) of the TPE driver telling them to get back. There is another here from the same day of a XC 220. Having watched the footage again I'd forgotten how stupid this pair of idiots were.

What's disturbing is that these muppets think the drivers are being friendly when sounding off like that (with the horn) but to anyone else its obviously the shrill cry of a driver petrified things will get messy.

Fair play to the TPE driver for giving them the telling off, its just a shame that the old rail safety awareness videos with the naff 90s fashions aren't still doing the rounds (I left primary school in '98 so someone of lesser years can advise if it's still done)

Established Member
When I watched these videos the first thing that came into my head was "What a bunch of idiots."

My first thoughts were similar, but somewhat more offensive :lol:

Look, I'm going to own up and admit I was one of these idiots with cameras in the past. It's just daft, the sign is actually more recognised thanks to shows like The Inbetweeners (where they do it with a truck) - I did it the other day as I was walking back from the bakers to a 158, I got a toot, it made me smile...two sides to every story I suppose.

But, really going out taking videos and asking for horns is daft, pointless and makes you look like an idiot.

I'll admit to having done this a few times a couple of years back, but nowadays I'll just give the driver a wave.
I have a friend who still does it, but he's not around the railways much (usually just when he's with me), so I'm not too bothered about it.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Just reading the comments on the video where the TPE driver stopped to ask them to move back, and there's one from our very own IanPooleTrains!

Last edited by a moderator:

wensley

Established Member
Standing at the edge of the platform whilst EC and XC come running through at line speed on the same platform. You can see some examples here (mute your speakers their choice of music is interesting), the last one of that lot is great two of them right up against the edge facing away from traffic could have easily got clipped by a passing train they also appear to have some sort of issue with women driving HSTs. There are some even better examples than that even but I can't find them right now. I seem to recall one set of vids where they nearly get clipped by an IC225 then the next TPE train comes through and the drive gives them a right good tongue lashing whilst the train is stopped.

The problem with Northallerton is that the straight track and 125mph line speed attracts a rare breed of idiots, especially when there is a charter due. It's my local and there is nothing that p*sses me off more than to see a bunch of idiots flailing, leaning over the yellow line and asking for "tonez". Yeh, it is generally the younger enthusiasts (maybe 12-15ish) but there are older guys that will quite happily join in the 'fun'. Why is probably a fairly credible question to ask?? Do they feel younger, generally enjoy making cocks of themselves or just like little children...

In the case of the TPE driver, good on him, there wants to be a few more like that! I do, however, recall an occasion when I nipped down to photograph a charter (class 90 I believe). I shall resist the urge to name and shame but a certain group had gathered at the end of platform 1, maybe up to 20 of them. They were all there with their tripods, messing about and one was even kicking a ball around on the platform seemingly oblivious to the expresses passing at speed on the adjacent running line. Soon after I had walked onto the platform, risking venturing towards that end of the platform for the best shot, one of the station staff appears and starts to try and remove said enthusiasts from the platform following a complaint by a driver. This may sound like a good thing but as I was of a similar age this particular member of staff decided I had to go as well, he isn't exactly the brightest but you could tel he knew me by sight and just felt the urge to 'flex his muscles'. Anyway we were all evicted and they stood around f'fing and whatnot in the car park whilst I was stuck without a way back onto the platform despite having done nothing wrong. I spoke to him and asked if I could return but he "advised" that I should not go back to the platform or he would call BTP. Needless to say I complained about the way he had treated me as he had no grounds on which to assume I was causing the same problems as the other group, TPE did apologise but this clearly illustrates how a few idiots can spoil something for everyone.

There have been other groups of youngsters messing around on the station and I have had a quiet word sometimes, trying to be friendly and benefit all of us. However, there are some that just won't listen and sometimes it has been necessary to give the station staff the nod and see if they'll do something about it.

Having said that, some of the locals are just as bad, some kids sitting cross legged at the very edge of the platform and others dangling their legs over the edge, not the brightest idea on any railway: I've heard the results of such an incident at Morpeth when the kids didn't shift in time....not good.

'Flailing' is yet another area that could get me really worked up but in short: fair enough having your HEAD out of a droplight but not half your body and waving around like your having a bloody epileptic fit, the only one your making an idiot of is yourself.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I've seen enough of this to get very worked up and find it quite hard to be indifferent to such behavior anymore.

d1015fan

One thing I do like about spotting is its a hobby that gets you out, sees different places, meet interesting people and their is a degree of challenge to this hualage business trying to work connections, track down the information where something is and trying to get a photo of it. theres not too many hobbies that do all that.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Just reading the comments on the video where the TPE driver stopped to ask them to move back, and there's one from our very own IanPooleTrains!

I fail to see how the Driver was a moron. If anything the lads on the platform were the morons :roll:

the sniper

Established Member
Having only just seen the video of the TPE driver, did anyone else notice how almost all the passengers were looking out the window (and some gesturing appropriately :lol: )? Made me wonder whether an announcement had been made to explain that they'd have to make an unscheduled stop to warn some photographers to get back?

Also, though most of the comments on the YT video (good old IPT...) blame the driver, isn't it more likely that he was informed to stop and warn them by the signaller (following a report from another driver) or TPE control (having seen them on CCTV?).

Too bad the dopes couldn't be charged with the delay minutes...

Edit: Here's the link again for anyone who missed it: http://youtu.be/izFzivyilfc

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Having only just seen the video of the TPE driver, did anyone else notice how almost all the passengers were looking out the window (and some gesturing appropriately :lol: )? Made me wonder whether an announcement had been made to explain that they'd have to make an unscheduled stop to warn some photographers to get back?

Also, though most of the comments on the YT video (good old IPT...) blame the driver, isn't it more likely that he was informed to stop and warn them by the signaller (following a report from another driver) or TPE control (having seen them on CCTV?).

Edit: Here's the link again for anyone who missed it: http://youtu.be/izFzivyilfc

I liked the drivers approach to them, polite but serious.

Crossover

Established Member

Now you mention it, it does look like the guard may have put an announcement out as there are a LOT of people looking out the window and erm..."thanking" them for delaying their service!

It did also spring to mind that they since the train didn't actually stop there for passengers that the driver may have been on a special stop order as otherwise the TPE would have flown through Northallerton, not crawled into the platform.

The driver certainly took the right approach on it though, being serious but remaining polite and it evidently had the desired effect, as they moved back behind the yellow line without any backchat from what we can hear.

Minilad

Established Member
I bet as soon as he went the comments started though. And I bet they moved back to the edge too.
Looks like he was cautioned and told about these idiots, fair play to the driver kept calm and authoritative throughout.

Crossover

Established Member
I bet as soon as he went the comments started though. And I bet they moved back to the edge too.
Looks like he was cautioned and told about these idiots, fair play to the driver kept calm and authoritative throughout.

Quite probably and I wouldn't have put it past them, but they could have easily given the driver a load of lip, which they didn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.