• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Im planning on going on a train trip this saturday 29th may. I was just wondering would it be worth it with it being bank holiday weekend or shall i leave it until next month? Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Im going to be getting an east coast train from newark to kx but im still debating weather I should have a ride on a virgin train to liverpool or a first great western somewhere, does anyone know if the trains will be busy due to it being bank holiday weekend?

pemma

Veteran Member
does anyone know if the trains will be busy due to it being bank holiday weekend?

There's always going to be some busy trains on any day of the week. A lot of operators run a weekday service on Bank Holidays so at a weekday peak time you may get a fairly quiet service as daytrippers aren't usually leaving at around the same time as commuters.

GNER 373

Im going to be getting an east coast train from newark to kx but im still debating weather I should have a ride on a virgin train to liverpool or a first great western somewhere

Sounds good! I'd go Liverpool via Virgin! Are you stopping over or returning home? You could do Liverpool-Leeds, Leeds-Newark nice round trip!

starrymarkb

Established Member
FGW are likely to be busy on a bank holiday (for the same reason the M5 is to be avoided)

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Trains in and out of London will generally be quieter than usual.

Peak trains will be slightly quieter, late night trains slightly busier (people coming home from visiting people)

Sounds good! I'd go Liverpool via Virgin! Are you stopping over or returning home? You could do Liverpool-Leeds, Leeds-Newark nice round trip!

I was also thinking of trying out Grand Central's new West Riding service from KX to Bradford and back to KX for the east coast journey home but i would of thought that would be quite busy.

I have decided i will go out on saturday but i still dont know were, can anyone think of a nice trip in which i can return the same day

oliverj8

Not sure what your budget is but what about these:

Newark NG - York - Manchester - London - Newark NG

Newark C - Nottingham - London - Ashford - Brighton - London - Newark NG

Newark C - Nottingham - Newport (South Wales) - London - Newark NG

I would guess these are possible to do in one day, but please note that I haven't checked on what engineering works are going on, someone has already mentioned FGW works.

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

GNER 373

I have now decided, I will be going on a wrexham and shropshire

Nice!

Let us know how it goes.

I'm planning a Newcastle - Glasgow, Glasgow - Euston - KX - Newcastle soon not sure when though. East Coast are losing the Edinburgh-Glasgow route soon so might aswell do it whilst its available. :D

Nice!

Let us know how it goes.

I'm planning a Newcastle - Glasgow, Glasgow - Euston - KX - Newcastle soon not sure when though. East Coast are losing the Edinburgh-Glasgow route soon so might aswell do it whilst its available. :D

A couple of weeks ago i did Newark NG - KX - Euston - Edinburgh (caledonian sleeper), then Edinburgh - Euston (virgin trains) - KX- Newark NG.

That is the best railway trip i have ever done :D.

GNER 373

A couple of weeks ago i did Newark NG - KX - Euston - Edinburgh (caledonian sleeper), then Edinburgh - Euston (virgin trains) - KX- Newark NG.

That is the best railway trip i have ever done :D.

What was the damage?

I've promised myself a 'Caledonian' trip in the next 12 months! Would you recommend?

I could do NCL-KX, Euston-Edinburgh, Edinburgh-NCL!

Off to the drawing board!!!:D

I would highly recommend going on the Caledonian sleeper, if you have a high budget then go first class because i did and it was exellent. I would still like to try the Night Riveria because i have heard that is even better.

My plans for saturday have now changed again due to me not being able to get Wrexham and Shropshire in time, I am now doing this and sticking to it Newark NG - KX - Euston - Carlisle - Euston - KX - Newark NG. I am quite looking forward to it

ashworth

Established Member
I'm staying with friends near Blackpool for a week at the beginning of August and I can't believe how cheap AP tickets are to many destinations are compaired to the prices I would have to pay from Newark or Nottingham if I did this journey from home.

I have already booked the following:
Blackpool North-Preston-Glasgow-Aberdeen (£15) and Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Preston-Blackpool North (£15)
I know that I only get 2 hours in Aberdeen (I could have got longer with a very early start) and its approx 6 hours travelling each way, but what a day out for £30 return!

I'm also considering days to Aviemore (Inverness requires a 0530 start!) and in the other direction Aberystwith (changing at Manchester and Shrewesbury) again both of these are for £15 each way for AP tickets.

eddygrim

both would be good trips carnt you go blackpool-preston and then get the sleeper to aberdeen/inverness and then come back on a late morning/early afternoon train.

rail-britain

Established Member
I would still like to try the Night Riveria because i have heard that is even better.

My plans for saturday have now changed again due to me not being able to get Wrexham and Shropshire in time
I ran into severe problems trying to program a WSR service into my ALR last year

The only solution I could find was to use the FGW sleeper north, walk to Marylebone and get the first WSR service north

It was possible south, but it was actually getting to Wrexham that was an issue
Equally, the later trains put the rest of the day in jeapordy, especially getting the Euston - Scotland sleeper (didn't much fancy trying to explain why I had missed the sleeper or finding somewhere to stay at 23:30)

Status
Not open for further replies.