• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

trainee course failure rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick2472

Hi just joined here and have an initial interview for northern rail coming up. But I was wondering whats the failure rate/dropout rate once your actually on your course. Should I get that far. Once on the course do they want you to pass or is it a high failure rate? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlejo

I would think it's a very, very high pass rate.
they wont want you to fail after all the training, time and money they've spent on you..... I think they'll probably pull you through even if you need extra time

BromleyBoi

they wont want you to fail after all the training, time and money they've spent on you..... I think they'll probably pull you through even if you need extra time

I'd definitely agree with this, they will give you several chances which range from extra help to if need be re-sitting the particular part of the course you are struggling with. There's no need to worry the trainers are there to help and are usually very well trained themselves. Plus the way the courses are designed is to make it easy for the walk in off the street type people to grasp.

TheEdge

Established Member
Like has been said, they've invested too much money to have people fail. You will get assistance and help where you're not getting something.

Eventually I assume there comes a point when they would pull the plug on someone but I think you'd have to be very poor to find it.

Monty

Established Member
My understanding is you get two shots at the 'final' assessment, I have heard of a trainee getting a third chance under exceptional circumstances but that is it. There have also been instances of drivers midway through the course of have not been meeting the required standard being told their training will not be taken any further. Some of the lucky ones get redeployed as a guard but a few have been ultimately dismissed.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As usual, this forum is marred by comments from people with no actual first hand experience.

Two shots at each stage of the process, as correctly stated above. Things don't tend to get as far as a failure at final assessment. If someone isn't up to it, this is usually obvious way before then. Repeated lapses of concentration, inability to follow instructions, etc. In such circumstances, management have an obvious duty of care to remove such a person from training.
Numbers wise, 10 - 20% drop out.

455driver

Veteran Member

Really?
Do you know this for a fact or are you just guessing?

Its actually 2 goes at each stage, fail any one of these these stages and that is the end of your training!
That is a fact.

If you cant get through the training without (a lot of) help then you would probably be spending a lot of time sat in the messroom while manglement investigate your latest muck up. How much would that cost compared to the training costs?

Last edited:

Andrew32

Thats the reason why psychometric tests are done, to assess your trainability.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi just joined here and have an initial interview for northern rail coming up. But I was wondering whats the failure rate/dropout rate once your actually on your course. Should I get that far. Once on the course do they want you to pass or is it a high failure rate? Thanks

Good luck btw

455driver

Veteran Member
Thats the reason why psychometric tests are done, to assess your trainability.

Which is why the tests were recently changed as people were 'learning' to pass the tests rather than having the natural ability to pass them, rendering the tests worthless!

Andrew32

As I said, good luck with your interview Mick2472, concentrate on that first.

carlejo

Really?
Do you know this for a fact or are you just guessing?

Its actually 2 goes at each stage, fail any one of these and that is the end of your training!
That is a fact.

If you cant get through the training without (a lot of) help then you would probably be spending a lot of time sat in the messroom while manglement investigate your latest muck up. How much would that cost compared to the training costs?

only 1 trainee has failed any driver course in 10 years at the TOC I work for

TDK

Established Member

You are incorrect with that one as I know of many more and I work for the TOC you work for.
Which is why the tests were recently changed as people were 'learning' to pass the tests rather than having the natural ability to pass them, rendering the tests worthless!

This is the start of many more failing the courses due to the fact that they have practiced the tests and do not have a natural trainability so any figures of FACT put on this thread are worthless.

mick2472

Northern at leeds.
Btw looking at the financial side of things if I get in. During the training is there anything other than usual tax ni that comes out of your wages.

Im just trying to work out childcare figures and the like.

Thanks for any info

carlejo

You are incorrect with that one as I know of many more and I work for the TOC you work for.--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This is the start of many more failing the courses due to the fact that they have practiced the tests and do not have a natural trainability so any figures of FACT put on this thread are worthless.

That's what I was told:roll:

455driver

Veteran Member

Your recruitment process must be much better than ours then, we had 2 fail on my course alone, one was booted out and the other became a guard.

Most courses will have one drop out at some stage.

edit-
TDK reckons more fail!

Its just the normal tax and NI until you sign up for the pension, union etc.

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member

Not any more! The new tests are out now so some of the aids are now useless.

mick2472

Its just the normal tax and NI until you sign up for the pension, union etc.

thanks mate I'm just looking at finances should I be lucky enough to get on a course. Although wages are a big drop in training its not much difference on my take home as my pension and union contributions are so high in my current job.

Status
Not open for further replies.