• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont lie, when I first looked into the role it was the money that attracted me but these days its become more about the potential honour of doing the job. Given how competitive the application process is and the amount of learning and hard work needed to become a driver. Its potentially a great sense of pride and achievement.

Speaking of those speed interviews, is it true its similar to a speed date but with the same level of awkwardness?

There posts a man who has experienced awkwardness at speed dating on Tuesday nights at the Dog and Duck.

Once again though, your answer talks about YOUR honour and YOUR pride. Was it not JFK who said "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". The best advice given so far was the post above about aligning yourself with the company aims, values and promises.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stjimmy87

There posts a man who has experienced awkwardness at speed dating on Tuesday nights at the Dog and Duck.

Once again though, your answer talks about YOUR honour and YOUR pride. Was it not JFK who said "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". The best advice given so far was the post above about aligning yourself with the company aims, values and promises.

Haha glad I'm out of the dating game that's for sure.

You make a solid point, it has to be a mutually beneficial thing. Way I see it, they pay me a good wage and I commit to them for the rest of my career (who knows what will be but I don't wanna change jobs again!). I defiantly do not find it easy to express what's in my brain in words and that had to be the reason I failed the dmi last time.

stjimmy87

Out if interest, any guys who have recently had the dmi with EMT...

Did you have the question "how do you adapt to changing conditions?" At the time I took this to mean things like weather conditions but didn't question it. I thought if I asked what they meant I would look bad. Is it ok to ask about the questions at an interview?

"A time you made a mistake?"...another tricky one

Dynamonic

Out if interest, any guys who have recently had the dmi with EMT...

Did you have the question "how do you adapt to changing conditions?" At the time I took this to mean things like weather conditions but didn't question it. I thought if I asked what they meant I would look bad. Is it ok to ask about the questions at an interview?

"A time you made a mistake?"...another tricky one

The question about change relates to how you adapt to new routines or ways of working. It would be good to use previous working examples here.

The question about making a mistake is getting you to talk about how you resolve the errors you make. (We all make mistakes, after all)

If you are unsure about any questions, it’s always a good idea to ask, rather than trying to assume what they mean. (Would your Driver Trainer want you to ‘assume’ what you’re taught in training, to put it that way? ;))

lammergeier

I want to improve my darts arm, and I love watching the films of Steven Seagal in a draughty Portakabin at 3am on a Sunday morning after a few bracing lungsfull of HST smoke.

:D That's a great answer, I was thinking along the lines of "I love drinking tea" but your answer is miles better

stjimmy87

The question about change relates to how you adapt to new routines or ways of working. It would be good to use previous working examples here.

The question about making a mistake is getting you to talk about how you resolve the errors you make. (We all make mistakes, after all)

If you are unsure about any questions, it’s always a good idea to ask, rather than trying to assume what they mean. (Would your Driver Trainer want you to ‘assume’ what you’re taught in training, to put it that way? ;))

Cheers for that....no wonder I didn't make it through that DMI, completely misunderstood that question on changing conditions! Plus I'm pretty sure I didn't use the STAR technique as well.

I took that question to be literally the environment changing that day rather than a change in working practices etc, e.g. driving in your car, the same route every day, and one day suddenly witnessing a 8 car pile up unfold infront of you and how you react etc.

Dynamonic

I took that question to be literally the environment changing that day rather than a change in working practices etc, e.g. driving in your car, the same route every day, and one day suddenly witnessing a 8 car pile up unfold infront of you and how you react etc.

Well, that demonstrates a change from the norm too! :D I suppose it's ultimately about seeing how you adapt to a change from your normal working routine!

EastMidsMatt

Were there any other questions at the dmi that were quite tricky?
With all due respect I think you ought to stop fishing so much for help. We've all been through this process pretty much with the general available advice on this forum and we've prepared for the dmi with only a general idea of the questions. Whilst it's fine to ask for advice etc I reckon the line is drawn at asking for specific questions and answers. There is loads of information on this forum for the whole recruitment process if you take the time to find it, asking for specific information is pointless anyway as the interviewer's will hit you with questions no-one will predict. Don't get me wrong, I wish you all the best but no one is going to tell you exactly what to prepare for and you shouldn't expect them to.

stjimmy87

With all due respect I think you ought to stop fishing so much for help. We've all been through this process pretty much with the general available advice on this forum and we've prepared for the dmi with only a general idea of the questions. Whilst it's fine to ask for advice etc I reckon the line is drawn at asking for specific questions and answers. There is loads of information on this forum for the whole recruitment process if you take the time to find it, asking for specific information is pointless anyway as the interviewer's will hit you with questions no-one will predict. Don't get me wrong, I wish you all the best but no one is going to tell you exactly what to prepare for and you shouldn't expect them to.

Point taken sir :)

EastMidsMatt

Just a quick update on my journey to date.

So I passed the recruitment process and just had the medical to get through on Jan 4th, a dead certainty or so I thought!

Everything was fine except the ecg, something the occy health doctor wasn't happy with and it meant that I had to undergo an echocardiogram. This was fine by me except that I was going to have to pay for it as I'm not yet employed by EMT! By now I was getting slightly anxious, I couldn't help but think it was all going to come crashing down but I had the echo and the lovely chap who did it assured me that my heart was actually fine, turns out I have an athlete's heart from my years representing my country in amateur karate. A bit of faffing around with occy health followed and then, at last, I got the call today that I have been signed off as medically fit for the role of depot driver! Yay!

I can finally get excited about starting on March 26th and hand in my notice!

lammergeier

So I passed the recruitment process and just had the medical to get through on Jan 4th, a dead certainty or so I thought!

Everything was fine except the ecg, something the occy health doctor wasn't happy with and it meant that I had to undergo an echocardiogram. This was fine by me except that I was going to have to pay for it as I'm not yet employed by EMT! By now I was getting slightly anxious, I couldn't help but think it was all going to come crashing down but I had the echo and the lovely chap who did it assured me that my heart was actually fine, turns out I have an athlete's heart from my years representing my country in amateur karate. A bit of faffing around with occy health followed and then, at last, I got the call today that I have been signed off as medically fit for the role of depot driver! Yay!

That's great news, congratulations. As I said in a previous post, make sure you keep all the paperwork you were given by the cardiologist. If you want to change companies in a few years take it all with you when you go for their medical and it will ensure the variation is put down as normal and you won't go through this again.

EastMidsMatt

That's great news, congratulations. As I said in a previous post, make sure you keep all the paperwork you were given by the cardiologist. If you want to change companies in a few years take it all with you when you go for their medical and it will ensure the variation is put down as normal and you won't go through this again.
Great advice, thanks. I'll ask for a copy of the paperwork from occy health.

Good job sir. Don't feel too disgruntled about self funding your scan, apart from your petrol to work and sandwiches it'll probably be the last thing you ever have to buy out of your own pocket for your job.

Door_gunner

Well done Matt. Great news! See you on the 26th March...

stjimmy87

Cheers guys :)

Looks like its the group assessment and speed interviews. Been doing some serious research about the company and the role. Guess I should start practicing how to build newspaper towers?

Dynamonic

Cheers guys :)

Looks like its the group assessment and speed interviews. Been doing some serious research about the company and the role. Guess I should start practicing how to build newspaper towers?

This assessment day is all about being yourself, and demonstrating that you think like a train driver. :)
The activities you’ll be doing are designed to highlight their competencies in you! :D

stjimmy87

This assessment day is all about being yourself, and demonstrating that you think like a train driver. :)
The activities you’ll be doing are designed to highlight their competencies in you! :D
I'm nervous but also more excited. Compared to when I last went for the job with EMT I feel I know more about the job and company. Plus I am genuinely passionate about this job and want it more than anything

Status
Not open for further replies.