• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sorry for taking to long!! To be honest the hardest bit for me were the group exercises. They were not too difficult, but being yourself when you’re being assessed is so difficult as you end up overthinking everything you do.
Had my interview today and it seemed to go ok and we had banter but they said they give my answers to HR so now I have to wait and see if they like me...

"We had banter" - a good sign. You need to stand out and be memorable. When they say they give your answers to HR, I believe they just give your score to HR. So, for each question they will have a tick list of skills you have to evidence and score how many you mention. Thus, a "leaderboard" is created and only the top few (it was 24 a year ago from first batch) go forth to stage 4. Banter will help push that score up, if they like you they will score you higher no matter how much it is claimed to be transparent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busyboy89

How long did the interview last? @Busyboy89
Hey sorry for late reply only just seen this, it was about 30 minutes and i felt it was good but the bloke interviewing me hardly ticked anything or wrote anything down.....so that has me worried slightly. The lady was none stop writing amd ticking things. But just got to wait and see. Does anyone know the time scale for finding out if we are through?

Amanda

Hey sorry for late reply only just seen this, it was about 30 minutes and i felt it was good but the bloke interviewing me hardly ticked anything or wrote anything down.....so that has me worried slightly. The lady was none stop writing amd ticking things. But just got to wait and see. Does anyone know the time scale for finding out if we are through?

I don't think you will know anything this week. Last time they waited for all the interviews to conclude. Mine is on Friday (and I'm full of a cold at the moment which is hampering my preparation somewhat :'() but I don't know if there are any the week after. Hopefully I'm among the last in which case we should know early next week I reckon. Which is quite a scary prospect!

Busyboy89

Rob Robinson and Laura Jenkins they were really good....made me feel comfortable before and between questions.

Lopez

Had email this morning letting me know that my stage 2 assessment day is Wednesday 30th January

Lopez

Hi mate had you already passed the dmi before? I had my dmi last Thursday so still waiting to hear back
I took the stage 1 tests on November 30th, then there was a delay in getting the results back for those. Not been for a DMI yet, this has been my first time applying

Olikay93

I took the stage 1 tests on November 30th, then there was a delay in getting the results back for those. Not been for a DMI yet, this has been my first time applying
Oh I See sorry mate I've misread that! Good luck with the assesment day, how you feeling about it?

Ontherails

Anyone got any tips for stage 2. Felt really prepared for stage 1, really not looking forward to the group stage.
My tips would be to just be yourself and in the group work try to make yourself heard without over - dominating things. They want you to be able to work well with other people so they will be looking for evidence of that. For the speed interviews try to swot up a bit on the company asks what the job entails. The emt website has a really good area with interview tips and info. Good luck!

Daveb1664

My tips would be to just be yourself and in the group work try to make yourself heard without over - dominating things. They want you to be able to work well with other people so they will be looking for evidence of that. For the speed interviews try to swot up a bit on the company asks what the job entails. The emt website has a really good area with interview tips and info. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Amanda

DMI = done! Phew. Now I can relax and do something else with my time besides preparation. I honestly couldn't call it to be honest, guess I'll find out in a week or two.

For all you with your stage 2 coming up, be sure to heed what OnTheRails said. Be yourself, be relaxed, be enthusiastic - but not domineering. Having been through this process twice now, I'd say the Group Assessment is my favourite bit. It's quite fun and it's nice to get to meet some of your fellow applicants. Also be aware though that you are being watched at all times, so if you have a moment or two by yourself just consider how that you will come across to anyone watching. (Not that I'm trying to make anyone paranoid!)

Apparently the March course is for entirely Derby candidates where the need is greater, Nottingham is well at compliment at the moment (on the course running presently there is but one solitary Notts bod). So, if you want Nottingham, be prepared to either wait in the talent pool (always a gamble with franchise changeover coming), or, agree to go to Derby. There are pros and cons to both depots so wouldn't stress over it too much, unless you live in Lincolnshire or somewhere miles east.

Amanda

Dave, I think the numeracy and literacy tests are just to assess your levels at the moment, however one of the tests is a personality test and there is no way to know what they're looking for or how you score on it. I have no idea if any of these tests were a factor in my having passed the group assessments or not. I think they've brought them in because nowadays it's an apprenticeship (when I did this last year it wasn't and there were no online tests to complete).

Daveb1664

Dave, I think the numeracy and literacy tests are just to assess your levels at the moment, however one of the tests is a personality test and there is no way to know what they're looking for or how you score on it. I have no idea if any of these tests were a factor in my having passed the group assessments or not. I think they've brought them in because nowadays it's an apprenticeship (when I did this last year it wasn't and there were no online tests to complete).
Ok cheers Amanda. Thought it might be to do with the apprenticeship.

Clarabella31

I'm fairly sure it will be down to it being an apprenticeship. Maths and English qualifications are generally done as part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.