• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - DB Cargo - Various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

You work to a 13 week roster so you know what you’re working and when your rest days are. Some instances of work are allocated as time bands. Band A; 0000-0600, B; 0600-1200, C;1200-1800 and D;1800-0000. If for example you were band D on Monday-Friday you could book on anytime between 1800 and 0000. Once every 13 weeks you get a flex week where you could be allocated 5 instances of work out of 7 which is the worst part of the roster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You also get one week of annual leave followed by one week of rest days every 13 weeks so you can either have two weeks off or have one week off then work your rest days.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You work to a 13 week roster so you know what you’re working and when your rest days are. Some instances of work are allocated as time bands. Band A; 0000-0600, B; 0600-1200, C;1200-1800 and D;1800-0000. If for example you were band D on Monday-Friday you could book on anytime between 1800 and 0000. Once every 13 weeks you get a flex week where you could be allocated 5 instances of work out of 7 which is the worst part of the roster.

If I've got it right, you can also be given work outside of your timeband, as long as your turn length is reduced? So if you're Band D they can book you on at 0200 as long as your turn is a minimum of 2hours shorter??

Atishyou

If I've got it right, you can also be given work outside of your timeband, as long as your turn length is reduced? So if you're Band D they can book you on at 0200 as long as your turn is a minimum of 2hours shorter??

Slightly Incorrect, they can't rotate you into the next day. They can move you to band C for example, say they moved you to 13.00, that's 5 hours off your band start of 18.00, so longest turn is nearly 6hr 30 mins.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Slightly Incorrect, they can't rotate you into the next day. They can move you to band C for example, say they moved you to 13.00, that's 5 hours off your band start of 18.00, so longest turn is nearly 6hr 30 mins.
Thanks for that. Knew it was something along those lines

Just had this email from DB

------------------------------------
Thank you for showing your interest in working for DB Cargo UK.

We will be reviewing all applications received and once the advert has been closed on Friday 2 November

We will contact all the successful short listed applicants inviting them to attended a assessment day.

If you are not contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date your application was sadly unsuccessful.

-----------------------------------------

Some more waiting then!

Stigy

Established Member
Just had this email from DB

------------------------------------
Thank you for showing your interest in working for DB Cargo UK.

We will be reviewing all applications received and once the advert has been closed on Friday 2 November

We will contact all the successful short listed applicants inviting them to attended a assessment day.

If you are not contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date your application was sadly unsuccessful.

-----------------------------------------

Some more waiting then!

When I submitted my junior Driver application I received a similar auto reply, but there’s no listed closing date so I’m just going by when the vacancy disappears from the website...

When I submitted my junior Driver application I received a similar auto reply, but there’s no listed closing date so I’m just going by when the vacancy disappears from the website...

I had the original email too which was basically word for word as the one above but without the closing date. I was just a little surprised to get a 2nd email

Stigy

Established Member
I had the original email too which was basically word for word as the one above but without the closing date. I was just a little surprised to get a 2nd email
Oh I see what you mean, maybe just to tell you what the closing date is? I don’t recall seeing one on any of their vacancies?

tempuser

I haven't received the 2nd email with the Nov 2 deadline on it. I wonder if that's a bad omen. It would be a shame to fall at the first hurdle. I suspect they've had a lot of applications and can choose to be picky, if you know what I mean.

Also, Acton would have got more interest because there are simply more people who live within the commuting time constraints. But I haven't given up just yet.

I really think freight work is more interesting than passenger work, and probably a bit harder as well, for the reasons mentioned above.

I haven't received the 2nd email with the Nov 2 deadline on it. I wonder if that's a bad omen. It would be a shame to fall at the first hurdle. I suspect they've had a lot of applications and can choose to be picky, if you know what I mean.

Also, Acton would have got more interest because there are simply more people who live within the commuting time constraints. But I haven't given up just yet.

I really think freight work is more interesting than passenger work, and probably a bit harder as well, for the reasons mentioned above.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact I got a 2nd email. It said nothing more than the 1st other than the closure date

HeavyChris

Hi Guys!

Just applied for this role and got the same automated response so fingers crossed!

DavyC32

Hi there all, newby here. Is anyone going for the Dartford depot? Was told its 10 weeks of training possibly in Didcot.
I want to know all the ins n outs of the steps i would take if accepted.
Many thanks all.
Good luck everyone.

Hi there all, newby here. Is anyone going for the Dartford depot? Was told its 10 weeks of training possibly in Didcot.
I want to know all the ins n outs of the steps i would take if accepted.
Many thanks all.
Good luck everyone.

I've applied for Dartford as I live in Sussex... not been told where any training would be but Didcot isn't really near any of the recently advertised locations! As it happens I don't mind if it's there as long as accommodation is provided as it's long way to travel each day!

Atishyou

I've applied for Dartford as I live in Sussex... not been told where any training would be but Didcot isn't really near any of the recently advertised locations! As it happens I don't mind if it's there as long as accommodation is provided as it's long way to travel each day!

Training is either usually at Toton or Didcot or occasionally Knottingley. For those not living within commutable distance, accommodation is provided.

For those who live closer, it's usually either train tickets or mileage.

Training is either usually at Toton or Didcot or occasionally Knottingley. For those not living within commutable distance, accommodation is provided.

For those who live closer, it's usually either train tickets or mileage.

Useful info - thanks!

tempuser

Thanks for all your helpful comments Atishyou, really appreciated.

There's a great person on YouTube called Freight Rambler, I would advise all to have a look at his videos. He's an experienced DB man. Love those diesel locos.

Not sure about anyone else, but the wait is killing me. I'd like to get a reply soon either way to put me out of my misery. I think they should tell you if you've been unsuccessful so that you're not on tenterhooks for 2 weeks.

Dreaming ahead, I guess they would not expect you to commute to Didcot from south London?

DavyC32

Thanks for all your helpful comments Atishyou, really appreciated.

There's a great person on YouTube called Freight Rambler, I would advise all to have a look at his videos. He's an experienced DB man. Love those diesel locos.

Not sure about anyone else, but the wait is killing me. I'd like to get a reply soon either way to put me out of my misery. I think they should tell you if you've been unsuccessful so that you're not on tenterhooks for 2 weeks.

Dreaming ahead, I guess they would not expect you to commute to Didcot from south London?
I reckon its a case of driving down on a monday and leaving for home on the friday pm. Not ideal but what ya gonna do. It is what it is. Im gonna have to do it from Dartford... obviously if i get picked.

tempuser

Shift work - is it possible to request to do just one type of shift? I don't mean a cushy day shift, I mean for example if you just wanted to do late shifts or night shifts, is that possible?

Just curious. I'm already used to shift work and working weekends, but was just wondering if they would appreciate someone who wanted this. I know in TOCs and the London Underground you can swap with someone, so they do all your days and you do their late shifts and vice versa.

I have a friend on the LU who did this and he said it helped him because he was suffering from fatigue with the constant switching and this has helped him a lot.

Driver2B

I quite like the idea of driving one of those big diesel locomotives. Must be great. They're actually selling 3 class 60 locomotives if anyone is interested :) Anyway, I've got no idea how many trainees they're taking on and what the probabilities are of being shortlisted, but fingers-crossed and good luck to everyone else as well.

I heard that the 66s were awful to drive! Apparently they are insanely noisy (more than 60s and other similar diesels) and that the cab gets insanely hot!
Just what I've heard, though - never stepped in a 66 to my knowledge!

Atishyou

Shift work - is it possible to request to do just one type of shift? I don't mean a cushy day shift, I mean for example if you just wanted to do late shifts or night shifts, is that possible?

Just curious. I'm already used to shift work and working weekends, but was just wondering if they would appreciate someone who wanted this. I know in TOCs and the London Underground you can swap with someone, so they do all your days and you do their late shifts and vice versa.

I have a friend on the LU who did this and he said it helped him because he was suffering from fatigue with the constant switching and this has helped him a lot.

There's no reason why you couldn't come to an agreement with someone else. Can't see anyone refusing to let you do their nights haha!

Atishyou

I heard that the 66s were awful to drive! Apparently they are insanely noisy (more than 60s and other similar diesels) and that the cab gets insanely hot!
Just what I've heard, though - never stepped in a 66 to my knowledge!

Some are noisy. They certainly aren't insanely hot in the winter! They do get warm in the cab in the summer, with sun blaring through the windows and the heat from the engine (more so the radiators when in cab 2), but it beats working in an office all day!

Stigy

Established Member
Some are noisy. They certainly aren't insanely hot in the winter! They do get warm in the cab in the summer, with sun blaring through the windows and the heat from the engine (more so the radiators when in cab 2), but it beats working in an office all day!
They don’t have A/C? This surprises me in a unionised industry ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.