• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver vacancies DBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughqq

Hi all,

Just had an E mail from DBS stating no more recruitment for 2015! Anyone else get that

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred Dinenage

Was this regarding the trainee jobs from June last year? Nothing here yet but that's hardly unusual....went for Thornaby and heard nowt since then.

Andy-mc

Yeah I had the same through today, And I like the little bit wishing me success with my search for alternative employment as Im now with FLHH

Daz9284

Yeah I had the same through today, And I like the little bit wishing me success with my search for alternative employment as Im now with FLHH

I've heard nothing either, and I applied for Heally Mills, Rotherham, Doncaster & Thornaby.

Andy, when did you start with FLHH and where are you based? I had my medical in Feb but received a letter saying the March intake had been pushed back until the summer,

regards,
darryl

Something's going on and it ain't good I did my assessments for another toc and dbs the HR lady said they originally wanted 100 trainee drivers but that changed to 30.

Pompy

Somethings up , I tried to email the HR lady I have been speaking to over the last year and guess what !! E-mail returned .

Greenyeti

I spoke to someone in HR yesterday regarding a revised start time for my assessment day next week so it seems some level of recruitment is still ongoing.

Deltic Dan

I applied and reselected Doncaster and Leicester and havn't had that bad email YET but theres still time im sure has they work there way up the country

Legzr1

There's a new (EU) directive starting in April this year increasing penalties on dirty electricity generation - an additional £40 per tonne - that is having a devastating effect on all FOCs (some more than others).

One FOC has seen a 60% reduction in orders, one a 70% reduction and a third (if reliable sources are to be believed) has seen a 100% reduction in their coal traffic to some of the largest power stations in the country :(

Lots of top-level management scratching their heads at the moment and this is the time we see who the 'good' companies are - will they burn staff with knee-jerk reactions consigning hundreds to uncertain futures or will they make changes to keep staff until the busy period restarts?

Personally, I was booted from the first type and landed in the second.

Now all were so fortunate...

GB

Established Member
I have heard on the grapevine that GBRf have postponed recruitment untill things up north pick up again. I don't know about you drivers but I believe groundstaff will be temporarily redistributed to help cover vacancies in the south/east.

387star

On Moderation
Interesting so had I been successful for Freightliner last year chances are I'd be in a similar situation to FGW ie on hold with gathering uncertainties unless lucky enough to be in September or January course... Though of course that was heavy haul so might not be so affected

That september course was filled before my interview I think..

Last edited:

JAMBO

Freights had a massive kick regarding the coal...do you stay and see wat happens..or try your luck on pass work that's the question... Serious decisions to be made...60-70% loss in work is a lot... What happens to the spare men? Not a great time to be a freight driver.

Albatross

Surely this isn't sudden news to the FOC's? I mean these new rules must have been coming for some time so why did they go on a recruitment drive?

Or has it been sprung on them from nowhere?

Legzr1

The thing is, the power stations aren't going to convert to alternative fuel sources overnight. They will still need coal, whether its at £40 per ton or £10 per ton. I think the reason for the initial reduction in orders is because most of the power stations have stockpiled months worth of coal in advance and simply don't need to buy it in at the new price. Come the autumn, it will be a different story..

As far as the biggest generator is concerned it's a bit of a treble whammy for the FOCs - transfer to alternative fuels (gas is relatively cheap for those that can burn it and Drax has seen massive investment in biomas going as far as investing in their own fleet of wagons), a massive increase in coal burning taxation (yes, the FOCs knew it was coming - were talking multi-million £ international companies and they aren't stupid but, right up until the final moment, 'some' FOC MDs continued to argue against it with intelligent points. All to no avail it seems) together with the normal seasonal drop in coal requirements.

You'd think the generators would also use foresight and stockpile huge amounts over the months before the deadline.
At my depot it's only the past three to four weeks that coal supply has gone through the roof...

As it stands it's quite a volatile market but when the big three coal suppliers show great concern it tends to mean big changes afoot.

Yes, autumn will see increases in traffic but going from 0% to 1% is an increase - unfortunately it's not the sort of increase that makes a company viable.

This all feeds back into the reason that some FOCs have suspended recruitment, others have scaled right back and others weren't going to recruit anyway (although I suppose they've filled their 'talent pools' for the return of the good times...)

Fred Dinenage

Worrying times for drivers at all the FOCs, it explains why recruitment is back of the list of priorities for them and rightly so. Best of luck and hopefully a good outcome for all in the freight companies atm.

JAMBO

Best and safest bet is to get the hell out now if you can... Dont hang around to see the outcome... I for one won't be..There is only one outcome!!

class 9

Sorry to be pedantic, but the additional 'tax' which increases in April is the Carbon floor price,it's nothing to do with the EU, it's our own government that introduced it, it is increasing from £9.55 a ton to £18.08 an ton of CO2 and as you said it will hit coal very hard, but also affects gas generation( but nowhere nearly as much) so watch utility bills start edging up again.

Last edited:

andylloyd

I tried on Friday to email back DBS as I passed my driving test(car).
The email bounced..
I suppose now I await this gloomy email.
Has anyone heard anything about their applications for Thornaby?

class 9

Thanks for the clarification. I just googled it and found that the Carbon floor price is frozen at £18 per tonne until 2020.

Unless the remaining ten coal fired stations all close or convert to alternative fuels, then there will still be a need for trains to run to them, whether its taking coal taxed at £9.55 per ton or £18. If they convert to Biomass then they will need the pellets getting there somehow.

In addition to the carbon floor, next year power stations have to say whether they are going to opt in to the EU emissions directive, if they opt out they will only be able to run for 17500 hrs or the year 2023, after the carbon floor frozen price ends it will go up again, so any stations that are opted out will try and use up those hours before 2020.(the IED is to remove more NOx and SOx from flue gas)
Regarding biomass, I think any future plans are dead in the water without a change in government policy, both Eggborough and Rugeley had plans to convert but these plans have been scrapped as the subsidy is now not available.

Last edited:

Legzr1

£40 per tonne was the figure being mentioned at 'our place' - maybe I should have listened more closely...

Biomass conversion, grants and EU opt-outs - the waters are being muddied (IMHO) and statements being released by certain power stations (that were just about to be purchased..) don't really help.

Eggborough is no longer 'independent' and timescales of one year to 10 years+ have been mentioned for continued coal burning - around the same time we see a power station in the. North West which invested a tidy sum to convert to biomass now closing forever because it's reached it's maximum hours.

I'm wondering how this all fits in with a joined-up thought process on this countries power requirements and (far more importantly for some of us) what this means for the suppliers and carriers of product.
Add in a general election and things couldn't be more confused.

I'd hate to be the person responsible for future employee numbers considering the lead time and training requirements for driving!

Status
Not open for further replies.