• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancy - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NickR

Cheers, had a phone call already booking me in for the DMI. They wanted to do it next Tuesday but I'm coming off a night shift so I've got the 6th September instead.

One thing that intrigued me was one of the guys that passed the day with me was told after the GB and TEA-Occ that his results were not good enough for Thameslink but acceptable for Southern. Do they not both fall under GTR?

Nkay11

Cheers, had a phone call already booking me in for the DMI. They wanted to do it next Tuesday but I'm coming off a night shift so I've got the 6th September instead.

One thing that intrigued me was one of the guys that passed the day with me was told after the GB and TEA-Occ that his results were not good enough for Thameslink but acceptable for Southern. Do they not both fall under GTR?

Thameslink have a higher pass criteria for some reason. Not sure why but they do. Had the same thing happen to a few people back when i did my assessment too.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Thameslink have a higher pass criteria for some reason. Not sure why but they do.

It's a buyers market. Higher pass criteria means you have greater control over applicants. Southern have also only recently joined GTR.

Not forgetting that Thameslink are mixed traction, AC/DC, high intensity routes, Mainline and Metro.

bobbyc86

That's normal mate they will let you know. No news is usually good news as I think if you fail they just send an email.

That was the case! After waiting to hear 4 weeks and 3 days... wasn't counting :lol: Got a phone call to say I passed now on for the medical! :D

NickR

Got my line managers interview tomorrow at Blackfriars. In the e-mail it just says simply 'Blackfriars Meeting Room'. I've dropped an e-mail to the resourcing team to clarify exactly where that is but haven't heard back. Anyone who's had their interview help me out?

EDIT: Nevermind. They got back to me!

Last edited:

carnty

Hi nickr, think i was at the same assessment day as you. I also have an interview tomorrow at blackfriars meeting room and was wondering the same thing.

bobbyc86

Got my line managers interview tomorrow at Blackfriars. In the e-mail it just says simply 'Blackfriars Meeting Room'. I've dropped an e-mail to the resourcing team to clarify exactly where that is but haven't heard back. Anyone who's had their interview help me out?

It is upstairs on the platform... the far side. Where the ppl in the 'fish bowl' look out off thats the best way to describe it. Good luck!! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What depot did u guys apply for? I went for the Gillingham one, and just had my medical today hopefully my ticker is in order :lol:

carnty

Gillingham also. Sounds like you are virtually there! Any tips bobbyc86 on what questions we may get asked?

bobbyc86

Gillingham also. Sounds like you are virtually there! Any tips bobbyc86 on what questions we may get asked?
Ahhh now you ask! Asked like what you know about the company, how are you following company procedures and give a time you enforced something and how you felt about it. Why do you want the job and give an example of working part of a team. That's all I can remember to be honest.

Hope that helps a bit; it was 5 weeks ago since I had the interview.

GOOD LUCK! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Another onehere hoping to pass and join into the Gillingham depot.

I had the DMI in the same place, I just heard back and booked my MMI for the 16th.

I hope I have what it takes to pass that stage.

NickR

Hi nickr, think i was at the same assessment day as you. I also have an interview tomorrow at blackfriars meeting room and was wondering the same thing.

No way, you weren't the guy I left in the computer room without saying goodbye? Felt a bit bad about that!

Also for Gillingham. Hopefully I'll make a good impression today.

woodenspatulas how long did it take for you to hear back after the DMI?

Nickr, I had my DMI on 23Rd so I wasn't kept waiting long. But I was told it can take a few weeks to hear back. I wonder if it was quick as thwy had space for my mmi so soon?

I'm a bit worried about making a mistake at the mmi. So far I just keep coming back to making sure my answers follow the S TA R response.

NickR

I'm sure you'll be fine mate. I find the hardest part of an interview is when they break eye contact to write something down. It really throws me.

I was quite surprised at how intense the DMI was. Pretty much all they wanted was examples of situations. The two interviewers were excellent. Really friendly and once the interview was over were happy to chat about the role. They were pretty upfront about how bad the shifts could be in terms of start times.

Mark_s84

Hi. Anyone know the wage for a trainee driver? Southwest trains have a vacancy but I need to know the drop in wages really!!!!!

Mark_s1984

Hi. What's the wage for trainee driver roughly? Southwest trains have a vacancy. How long does training last?

TRain87

Is the wage structure the same, or similar to signallers? Whereas you get the full wage, even while training? Or are trainee drivers on a lower rate?

Cheers

Class2ldn

Trainees are on a lower wage. They are not going to pay you 50k for you to then possible fail the course

NickR

Wow heard back already about the DMI. Passed it and now onto the MMI on the 30th. Well chuffed! Can't believe how fast the process is going.

Trainguy90

JUst joined the forum and was just wondering if anyone had any contact details for Thamslink's recruitment team as I have a question but cant find any contact information other than for their customer service team which give a reply time of up to 20 days which would be way past the deadline for the current position at Gillingham
any info would be much appreciated

bobbyc86

Passed my medical and my start date is on the 31st Oct! Just waiting on the contract, can't believe there was not much of a wait. :D
Good luck all!!

Nkay11

Absolutely over the moon.

Received the call today i had been waiting for. I have a start date for Gillingham :) i was offered an earlier start date but went for a later one as it is more suitable for me.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this forum!

Good luck to everyone else still in the process.

Wallicio

Absolutely over the moon.

Received the call today i had been waiting for. I have a start date for Gillingham :) i was offered an earlier start date but went for a later one as it is more suitable for me.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this forum!

Good luck to everyone else still in the process.

Congratulations!! How long have you been waiting?

Nkay11

Congratulations!! How long have you been waiting?

Thanks mate. I actually applied for Southeastern back in 2014. Did my assessments in December 2015 and have been waiting ever since. I saw the Thameslink vacancy come up and so applied.

I applied and heard within a few days inviting me to come and complete an assessment day where i had to do 1 test that only GTR do. That was in July.
I then had my interview a few weeks after and medical a few weeks after that.

So all in all... A very quick process from Thameslink!

Sirgerbil

Thanks mate. I actually applied for Southeastern back in 2014. Did my assessments in December 2015 and have been waiting ever since. I saw the Thameslink vacancy come up and so applied.

I applied and heard within a few days inviting me to come and complete an assessment day where i had to do 1 test that only GTR do. That was in July.
I then had my interview a few weeks after and medical a few weeks after that.

So all in all... A very quick process from Thameslink!

Nkay, what date have they given you if you dont't mind me asking. Looking to transfer my scores over to Thameslink but wondering what sort of dates they are looking at to start training.

Status
Not open for further replies.