• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancy - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Hard to say as its internal. I noticed that some internals posted so I've put out a feeler.

It's not anything that would trouble any trainees but it's significant enough to be a concern. Sorry I can't state more at this time. Hopefully someone in the know will answer if they can.

Nkay11

Why would you want to drive it?

Because Selhurst is practically a 24 hour depot. Our earliest start time is 03.33 and latest finish is 02.03 so i've had no choice but to drive for the past 4 years lol.

Takes about an hour and a half by train. Into Victoria and back out.

cwjohnstone

Because Selhurst is practically a 24 hour depot. Our earliest start time is 03.33 and latest finish is 02.03 so i've had no choice but to drive for the past 4 years lol.

Takes about an hour and a half by train. Into Victoria and back out.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that... why would you want to drive it whilst on rules and regs? Gotta be at least 1hour 10 on a clear run in the car, but to get there for half 8ish.... I'd rather do the train :D

Jordan Paris91

Hi all, I am new to these forums and was looking for any tips. I have an assessment on October 12th. I am not currently in the rail industry so a complete career change. I am going through the assessment pack that GTR sent me. Has anyone got any tips on the assessment as I have never done anything like this. This is for the trainee driver vacancy that was posted last month. Regards JP

Videoman76

Hello JP,
Welcome to the forum. With the greatest respect, if you read through this thread, it will more than likely answer all the questions you have. I did and I now have a starting date with GTR.
All the best with your application.
Videoman76

Nkay11

Sorry, I'll rephrase that... why would you want to drive it whilst on rules and regs? Gotta be at least 1hour 10 on a clear run in the car, but to get there for half 8ish.... I'd rather do the train :D

Me too. Its just Micky was saying how long it would be with traffic so thought i'd tell him since i've done it for the last few years lol

Goatman

How soon after the medical did you guys get a contract through? Or hear anything as such?

JORDAN PARIS - Do you mind me asking when you completed your application? Was it the one where the closing date was Monday -12th September 2016? Cheers mate

Duffman

Hi all, I have my MMI interview tomorrow and just wondered what sort of questions they ask, I've looked through this thread but cant really find any definitive answers. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gekko5154

Good luck for your interview Duffman! I haven't yet sat the MMI. I have mine next week with a different TOC hopefully. As I understand you will have 6 competence based questions in which you'll have to answer.
1. Describe a time you have followed rules and procedures.
2. Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone.
3. Describe a time when you have completed a training course longer than two weeks or your greatest achievement.
4. Describe a time when you have solved a difficult problem.
5. Describe a time when you have dealt with an emergency.
And I'm not sure about the 6th? I think it's something along the lines of describe a role you do that's similar to a train driver?

Again I haven't sat the MMI so can't confirm this of course but it can help you prepare. Good luck!

Well that's my medical done. Passed with border line eye sight so may need glasses.

Just waiting on the pee to be tested and hopefully a contract appearing in the post!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well that's my medical done. Passed with border line eye sight so may need glasses.

Just waiting on the pee to be tested and hopefully a contract appearing in the post!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Duffman

Got a call today saying I passed my MMI, I'm over the moon. I've been given a provisional start date of 21st November pending my medical.

Gekko5154

Congrats a Duffman!

Were the MMI questions similar to what I posted?

They called you on the same day.....you must have done very well!

NickR

Failed my medical. Didn't meet the standard for hearing. Apt end to a crap week for me. I've got some wax in there and they've recommended I get it syringed and they'll retest me. Lady asked if I had trouble hearing a radio. I said I've done a good job of winging it as a police officer for ten years if I did. I'm pretty sure that it isn't the wax and my hearing is just a bit poor.

Congrats to Duffman, well done mate.

Class2ldn

You say that but I had the same when I applied for the military, got them syringed and and flew through the hearing retest.

NickR

You say that but I had the same when I applied for the military, got them syringed and and flew through the hearing retest.

Oh really? That's encouraging. Was it a huge difference after? I had them syringed a few years back and to be honest it didn't really make a difference to my hearing.

Shrimper

Failed my medical. Didn't meet the standard for hearing. Apt end to a crap week for me. I've got some wax in there and they've recommended I get it syringed and they'll retest me. Lady asked if I had trouble hearing a radio. I said I've done a good job of winging it as a police officer for ten years if I did. I'm pretty sure that it isn't the wax and my hearing is just a bit poor.

Congrats to Duffman, well done mate.

I've had similar issues previously; syringing (or using something like Otex Express) sorted me out too. I wasn't aware I was losing any hearing capability until it came to sitting in the box!

Oh really? That's encouraging. Was it a huge difference after? I had them syringed a few years back and to be honest it didn't really make a difference to my hearing.

I found the same. After a good syringing I can hest a pin drop

cwjohnstone

I've had similar issues previously; syringing (or using something like Otex Express) sorted me out too. I wasn't aware I was losing any hearing capability until it came to sitting in the box!

So did you pass the hearing test and they told you you've lost some hearing capability though?

NickR

Thanks for the replies guys. Bought some drops last night and will get to work today! My problem was the low frequencies and from what I've been reading that is what ear wax build up affects.

Shrimper

So did you pass the hearing test and they told you you've lost some hearing capability though?

For a previous job requiring a hearing test, apparently I was on the borderline but she could see why when she looked in my ears. So when I took a railway medical I used Otex a few times in the weeks leading up to ensure they were clear and blockage free. Had no problems.

mnbv

Hi the deadline for this application was 11:45PM but the website closed at 11:41PM. My application was 99% finished (just needed to make the declarations) - do you think there's a way I can appeal to be considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.