• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee drivers Freighliner HH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
£18K whilst training isn't exactly industry-leading...

You can say that again. I got £2k more than that as a trainee Conductor! It'll inevitably put some quality candidates off, though maybe they don't want pilots, bank managers, Doctors et al applying. :p

Wall88

You can say that again. I got £2k more than that as a trainee Conductor! It'll inevitably put some quality candidates off, though maybe they don't want pilots, bank managers, Doctors et al applying. :p

Does anyone know if mechanical comprehension is part of the assesments for freightliner?

Legzr1

Contact them and ask the question!

I doubt anyone outside FLHH HR will know the answer as this is the first time they've even thought about training up newbies.

the sniper said:
You can say that again.

Must resist...

;)

FLHH are playing the game.

They know there will be around 50 able and competent applicants for every vacancy and can 'afford' to take the risk of offering relatively poor wages for trainees.

Stick it out for three years and the average wage over that period will be almost £37K without payrises, overtime or rest day working.You'll then be a fully qualified freight driver, out of PQA with traction and route knowledge - the (freight driving) world is then your oyster.

Got to be worth a go surely?

As for doctors, pilots et al.......I couldn't possibly comment :lol:

Monty

Established Member
Mighty tempting, I've never been drawn to applying for driver within my current TOC, however working freight appeals to me greatly.

Quickthorn

thanks for the link, legzr1. I'll certainly apply, but I wonder if this will be a bit like DBS's efforts earlier this year? It seemed that they had so much unexpected interest from qualifieds that they needed hardly any trainees in the end.

Dave1987

On Moderation
thanks for the link, legzr1. I'll certainly apply, but I wonder if this will be a bit like DBS's efforts earlier this year? It seemed that they had so much unexpected interest from qualifieds that they needed hardly any trainees in the end.

Remember the internals as well!!

LWB

By "graduate scheme" are they meaning university graduates only need apply do you think?:?

Legzr1

I'll certainly apply, but I wonder if this will be a bit like DBS's efforts earlier this year? It seemed that they had so much unexpected interest from qualifieds that they needed hardly any trainees in the end.

It's location dependent but a great deal of their work involves long, arduous shifts with a lot of truly evil start times.As such, these vacancies don't appeal to me nor any other qualified drivers I've spoken to.

Truth be told these, vacancies were created because staff left for other FOC's and TOC's - I'd be surprised if they were inundated with applications from qualified drivers!

Having said that, I was surprised that more than one qualified driver applied for the recent DBS vacancies so I suppose anything is possible.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
By "graduate scheme" are they meaning university graduates only need apply do you think?:?

http://freightliner.qmtech.net/

Is this a very unclear advert, for a University leavers' Graduate Scheme type process?
In most companies, that means spending a period of time "mastering" the basics of the business, before moving straight into a management position. For a FOC, putting a graduate through the driver training process, and giving them some practical experience for a while, before moving them onto the commercial aspects of the business, might make a lot of sense?

rob12

Can't get the bloody site to open? anybody else having same problem just won't connect through the link or on google

Bubbles22

I am also having trouble loading the freightliner webpage tried the pc & laptop just wont connect, trying to find out what the Graduate part was about?

tone

For some strange reason the site appears to be blocked by virgin media. If you are having problems try connecting through a Proxy or use a different ISP or WiFi hotspot. I'm sure virgin don't mean to block this site, must be a mistake...

JAMBO

Does anyone know if mechanical comprehension is part of the assesments for freightliner?

Have to sit all of them,reactions,dots and such. A hell of a lot fail at the interview with the psychologist,asking silly little questions to see how you think!! Then it's off to freightliner for the managers interview with HR present. There will be something like 50 drivers to one vacancy,so they can pick and choose who they like,not to mention the " who you know there,and that your dads the DTM" :D

big al

Dare I answer the question 'are you willing to relocate?' with 'NO'........

Reckon this will be an automatic rejection? there is a depot near me, so its that or none for me. Might just answer yes, whats the worst that can happen??

JAMBO

I believe depots are, Bristol, Eastleigh, Peterborough, Doncaster, and maybe but not sure ferrybridge, Not sure how many are required. Remember if you say you will relocate they could stick you anywhere. You then have to do something like 2 years productive driving before a transfer can be made in writing,and even then there has to be a vacancy for you to slot in. so you could end up shafted at a depot the other end of the country. Only other way is to do your driving then put a compassionate move in, then it's at the managers discretion.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Dare I answer the question 'are you willing to relocate?' with 'NO'........

Reckon this will be an automatic rejection? there is a depot near me, so its that or none for me. Might just answer yes, whats the worst that can happen??

Likewise if you answer "no" to the "do you have a current drivers licence" is that an automatic rejection?

big al

I would have thought so as I know of one driver who regularly drives a van to Peterboro to fetch a train back

JAMBO

You do more miles on the road than you do on the track, so yes you need a full drivers licence.

Dave1987

On Moderation
If all the internals failed then the selection procedure must be very very difficult.

Pacerpilot

Likewise if you answer "no" to the "do you have a current drivers licence" is that an automatic rejection?

You need a full manual, driving license. Its absolutely vital. I've spent more time in vans than loco's some weeks. But it's a break from slumming it with smelly passengers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.