• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee drivers Freighliner HH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacerpilot

Its not just FLHH, GBRf have been having the exact same problem.

We had a shunter who was told they didnt meet the criteria for working alone...so was sent back to the day job of being a mobile shunter, generally working alone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F1Fan

To get this discussion back on track - has anyone that has already been offered one of these FLHH roles received their letters yet?

Any news on the start date?

I see that some people have their managers interviews on Tue 8th, so I imagine I won't hear back till after that date, having had my interview last week. It's starting to get seriously close to the day I would need to give my four weeks notice (this Friday.)

F1Fan.

TDF

To get this discussion back on track - has anyone that has already been offered one of these FLHH roles received their letters yet?

Any news on the start date?

I see that some people have their managers interviews on Tue 8th, so I imagine I won't hear back till after that date, having had my interview last week. It's starting to get seriously close to the day I would need to give my four weeks notice (this Friday.)

F1Fan.

I have a medical this week, a start date should follow if I pass

TDF

From Freightliner? I'm still waiting to get mine after getting a verbal job offer.
Is it local for you or do you have to travel?

Yes, I was offered the position subject to medical on Friday and the letter arrived on Saturday. I can only suggest you call the HR department to ask.

I've been working down south for the last year, so it'll be localish to my home back up north

Last edited:

JoyDivision

Yes, I was offered the position subject to medical on Friday and the letter arrived on Saturday. I can only suggest you call the HR department to ask.

I've been working down south for the last year, so it'll be localish to my home back up north

Nice one, will give them a call today, as the letter may have been lost in the post. Congratulations on getting this far! Which depot have you been given?

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
We had a shunter who was told they didnt meet the criteria for working alone...so was sent back to the day job of being a mobile shunter, generally working alone.

Doesn't inspire confidence for myself as I have it in a couple of weeks :|

DunfordBridge

Doesn't inspire confidence for myself as I have it in a couple of weeks :|

I think the best advice I can give, which I believe I received in turn from E & W Lucas, is to use examples from the application form, that meet with criteria. Thinking about it, the FOC or TOC are not going to waste money sending you to an assessment if they think there is a chance that you might not succeed.

Other than that, I would say heed the advice in the practice material.

The door may not be closed after all for me under the new system and after an event in my work place today, I am not going to lose sight of my goal.

keep truckin

Hi folks. I am a London Midland guard and I went for assessment at OPC a couple of weeks ago for LM trainee driver. I failed on the CBI on one question, the "difficult situation" question. I used examples of disruptive fare dodgers , asleep and incapable passenger on train.
I don't think these were up to the level they wanted. Can anyone give me any tips or advice on what kind of examples they look for, especially if you've just clocked it at OPC.

Cheers.

sgw

So when did you take the tests? How does the bad news come? Letter or phone?

keep truckin

I took them on 19 September. I was applying for London Midland but I think quite a few there
were there for FF HH. London Midland informed me 6 days later. A real slug to the guts!!!!!!

Phatdan

I have my stage 2 tomorrow morning and I'm starting to get nervous .
I just hope all the spaces have not been filled?
Any advice for tomorrow guys would be much appreciated?
Thanks

Marky82

I have my stage 2 tomorrow morning and I'm starting to get nervous .
I just hope all the spaces have not been filled?
Any advice for tomorrow guys would be much appreciated?
Thanks

Good luck tomorrow mate.

Just relax and try to stay calm. Remember that you are being assessed by a psychologist who is looking to fluster you and she will succeed as most on here will tell you but it's how you deal with it that matters.

No one knows how many spaces there are to fill or how many has been taken so far but there are a few still waiting to hear.

Phatdan

Thanks guys !!!
I'm gonna try to get an early night in . Prob won't be able to sleep lol
Good luck to anyone else who's still to go .
Will update you guys tomorrow

WesternAccent

Has anybody who's sat the DM interview have any advice to give on the types of questions to expect? I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful or not at stage 2 but would like something to practice for!

Is it just a one on one interview, finally how long on average do these interviews last?

Thanks for any help,

WA

P.s good luck for tomorrow Phatdan!

Last edited:

DunfordBridge

Has anybody who's sat the DM interview have any advice to give on the types of questions to expect? I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful or not at stage 2 but would like something to practice for!

Is it just a one on one interview, finally how long on average do these interviews last?

Thanks for any help,

WA

P.s good luck for tomorrow Phatdan!

Never sat down with the DM but I would have thought there would be the dreaded question about the jumpers (fatalities) not to mention how you would cope with boredom? Maybe there might be a question about stations near a major terminus as part of route knowledge, a bit tricky doing this research for a FOC compared to a TOC where the routes are openly publicised.

There will be a whole host of questions on this forum somewhere, just needs a bit of delving.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maybe there might be a question about stations near a major terminus as part of route knowledge, a bit tricky doing this research for a FOC compared to a TOC where the routes are openly publicised.

Really beginning to question myself on this one. When was the last time you saw a freight locomotive in Manchester Piccadilly unless there was a possession. Would not need to know about these stations unless it was a diversionary route or an incorrect path setting. I would have thought as a freight driver, you would spend most of your time on avoding routes such as going through Castleford to go from Leeds to Teesport?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks guys !!!
I'm gonna try to get an early night in . Prob won't be able to sleep lol
Good luck to anyone else who's still to go .
Will update you guys tomorrow

All the best wih this one, hope you got a decent night's kip. I for one was distinctly lacking in sleep. I had a very fidgety neighbour in the hotel at 2am which was not helped by a fire alarm at 04:23. It is a miracle I was able to perform in the DTG test let alone pass it. Such is adrenalin.

Last edited:

Phatdan

Well that was interesting !!!

Flew through the reaction test and I personally feel I gave a good account of myself with the CBI so fingers crossed.

A massive thank you to the guy who let me sit my CBI in his slot as I had to get back for work this evening.

I owe you a beer or two !!!

How did everyone else get on today?

ampallang

Anyone heard anything more back from the DM interviews? This suspense is killing me!

londonlancs

Thanks phatdan! Been following this thread for a while, and as you were good enough to mention me thought i better finally pull my finger out and post. You might have actually done me a favour, as i was far too tired to be nervous in the end. Answered all my questions too, just hope they were what the psychs were after. Good luck to you and eveyone else. Either way it's nearly over (so you know it's me - i was in the kitchen when you left).

Final thought: thanks to the positive posters on here (you know who you are), you gave renewed hope when others were spreading negativity. Nobody but a couple of people in HH HR has any idea what the actual situation is.

Phatdan

Thanks phatdan! Been following this thread for a while, and as you were good enough to mention me thought i better finally pull my finger out and post. You might have actually done me a favour, as i was far too tired to be nervous in the end. Answered all my questions too, just hope they were what the psychs were after. Good luck to you and eveyone else. Either way it's nearly over (so you know it's me - i was in the kitchen when you left).

Final thought: thanks to the positive posters on here (you know who you are), you gave renewed hope when others were spreading negativity. Nobody but a couple of people in HH HR has any idea what the actual situation is.

Thanks again !! I just made it to work on time !!!

glad I could be of assistance even if it was unintentional lol

What do you mean when you say they don't know the situation?

good luck to everyone

Last edited:

Marky82

Anyone heard anything more back from the DM interviews? This suspense is killing me!

Still waiting as well. Sat mine last Wednesday so 9 days on and ive ran out of fingernails.
Can't help but presume the worst as 3 people on this thread have had a positive reply already.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Good luck to all of you still in the process.

I've been away for the last few days on a course so not really had a chance to post.

At the start of the week I got my feedback from the failed structured interview.

To my surprise I passed 3 sections where I 'created' an situation because I was short on real examples and failed on the other 3 where I used a real life example.

Lesson to be learnt: Make up a good example and learn it through and through.

This is why I think psychometric questionnaires where you rate things on a scale are a better test. They are much harder to lie on due the volume of questions. i did one the other week with 150 similar questions. If you don't answer each one of them honestly, the computer will know !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.