• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westbrom

Not got a clue it just says in due course, did see posted on here there's a. Course in May so may be closer to that time I guess

Starman

Hiya, new to the forum. I was told last year I was through to the interview stage and more info on a date would be given in the new year. I understand it's a drawn out process but was wondering if anybody else has heard anything yet?

vark0

Hiya, new to the forum. I was told last year I was through to the interview stage and more info on a date would be given in the new year. I understand it's a drawn out process but was wondering if anybody else has heard anything yet?

Hi,

I'm still waiting for my interview date as well. The last e-mail I received in November said we would hear in the new year, so I guess we've just gotta hold tight. Having said that I did send an email on 26th so will let you know when I get an update. I know it can take time though so we just need to be patient.

:)

Alex

Goingloco

I'm waiting for a date as well for a Worcester application. They've said they'll be in touch when due so I guess it's a waiting game..........

Starman

Thanks guys cant help feeling a little anxious but patience is a must it seems.

Last edited:

Villafan10

Anyone on here from the 15 of us that did the assessment centre today? Just wondering how people felt they did.

welshjpc

Hi Villafan, yes I was there. Thought it went quite well, although I had sat the dots, glop & dials before. In a strange way I enjoyed the Tee-Occ and DFFT.

Ten working days they said, see how that goes!

Romneym335

Hi Villafan, yes I was there. Thought it went quite well, although I had sat the dots, glop & dials before. In a strange way I enjoyed the Tee-Occ and DFFT.

Ten working days they said, see how that goes!

Hi, I know what the dots test is. What's the glop and dials tests about and are there any resources to practice these on before?

Villafan10

Hi, I know what the dots test is. What's the glop and dials tests about and are there any resources to practice these on before?

Did you get the pack by email before the assessments? The glop isn't a test it's just referencing what was in the test. The test it was in was the train ability for rules and procedures test, as was the dials. If you got the pack and practiced them then you'll be fine.

Romneym335

Did you get the pack by email before the assessments? The glop isn't a test it's just referencing what was in the test. The test it was in was the train ability for rules and procedures test, as was the dials. If you got the pack and practiced them then you'll be fine.

Hi mate cheers for that. I'm not even in the process yet :( I'm trying to prepare myself for whenever they advertise again. Good luck with your process

welshjpc

Cunning Kingy!

Just had my email from LM - Made it to stage 2 :D:D:D Watford bound....

Ryder

Hi All,

New to forums but have been following thread closely. I am going for the Coventry depot and have been successful at application, now waiting for info on interview dates. 1st time applying for train driver so forgive me for the slowness. Have a couple of questions

1) Can anyone remember whether or not Coventry/L'spa was for depot drivers or mainline drivers? Or will they just allocate us a role depending on their needs?

2) Whats the order of the process - Interview (manager), 2 days of testing, interview (structured), medical?

HLE

Established Member
Coventry/Leamington is Mainline only. Coventry has a yard which is used for storing 323's and 350's plus the 153 for the branch overnight. Some turns involve a bit of shunting them around a bit into the platforms and back but it's not depot work. Believe Leamington sign Tyseley as its a diesel only depot (Leamington is only diesel work) but Coventry also sign Soho etc., but not for depot driving purposes.

Unsure exactly on the stages now, but I should imagine it isn't a million miles from what you've posted.

Good luck. Coventry arguably has the better route card and traction, but don't discount Leamington.

Last edited:

Ryder

Coventry/Leamington is Mainline only. Coventry has a yard which is used for storing 323's and 350's plus the 153 for the branch overnight. Some turns involve a bit of shunting them around a bit into the platforms and back but it's not depot work. Believe Leamington sign Tyseley as its a diesel only depot (Leamington is only diesel work) but Coventry also sign Soho etc., but not for depot driving purposes.

Unsure exactly on the stages now, but I should imagine it isn't a million miles from what you've posted.

Good luck. Coventry arguably has the better route card and traction, but don't discount Leamington.

Thank you for the reply HLE, much appreciated. :)

Locksey

Unfortunately I failed to meet the standards to progress to part 2 - my failing was on the DFFT (I knew I had messed this one up due to an error)
I know my answers were correct but having to correct a mistake I made set me back and I believe I failed to answer enough of the questions.

This leaves me in a peculiar position - the DFFT isn't a mandatory OPC assessment and as such I have technically passed. I have been advised by the OPC that my results would be enough for other ToCs.
I am currently seeking clarification from ATOC as to whether my DFFT failure counts as one of my "chances" and if the 6 month ban on applying for other positions applies for ToCs that don't require the DFFT.

I'm frustrated at the outcome - I know if given the test again I'd pass it but I just messed up in the day.

d_kingscott

Unfortunately I failed to meet the standards to progress to part 2 - my failing was on the DFFT (I knew I had messed this one up due to an error)
I know my answers were correct but having to correct a mistake I made set me back and I believe I failed to answer enough of the questions.

This leaves me in a peculiar position - the DFFT isn't a mandatory OPC assessment and as such I have technically passed. I have been advised by the OPC that my results would be enough for other ToCs.
I am currently seeking clarification from ATOC as to whether my DFFT failure counts as one of my "chances" and if the 6 month ban on applying for other positions applies for ToCs that don't require the DFFT.

I'm frustrated at the outcome - I know if given the test again I'd pass it but I just messed up in the day.

DFFT will have no bearing on your 2 chances, so apply to other TOCS. I'm also on hold with GWR (formerly FGW) and Northern Rail, neither of them use DFFT. So chin up and find another TOC.

Locksey

DFFT will have no bearing on your 2 chances, so apply to other TOCS. I'm also on hold with GWR (formerly FGW) and Northern Rail, neither of them use DFFT. So chin up and find another TOC.

Thanks but this is another conflict of information. London Midland have told me it has affected my chances, OPC have been a bit unclear on the matter (quite wishy washy) and I'm still waiting for a reply from ATOC.

Logically I can't see it affecting my chances - as the DFFT is not mandatory. The 6 month ban still makes sense I guess but does it apply to other ToCs who don't consider the DFFT mandatory?

I have to admit that I'm confused about where I stand

cobbler

Thanks but this is another conflict of information. London Midland have told me it has affected my chances, OPC have been a bit unclear on the matter (quite wishy washy) and I'm still waiting for a reply from ATOC.

Logically I can't see it affecting my chances - as the DFFT is not mandatory. The 6 month ban still makes sense I guess but does it apply to other ToCs who don't consider the DFFT mandatory?

I have to admit that I'm confused about where I stand

your DFFT failure only counts with TOC,s that use the DFFT , so you have lost one strike for those TOC,s , the 6 months wait applies exactly the same unless you have passed the TOC,s standard for DFFT , london midland require an enhanced pass

Villafan10

Right I know this is slightly off the main topic but given I'm getting ever closer I was wondering if anybody knew what the salary was upon joining. I know it's frowned upon to talk about such things whilst in recruitment but I've got quite a few things going on in my life and I could do with considering some financial planning. I've googled it loads and I can only ever seem to find figures either for qualified drivers or for trainees from 2013 which I assume aren't accurate.

Locksey

Right I know this is slightly off the main topic but given I'm getting ever closer I was wondering if anybody knew what the salary was upon joining. I know it's frowned upon to talk about such things whilst in recruitment but I've got quite a few things going on in my life and I could do with considering some financial planning. I've googled it loads and I can only ever seem to find figures either for qualified drivers or for trainees from 2013 which I assume aren't accurate.

I was told two different things;

Driver Manager told me - 29k
Word of mouth - half the total salary (24.5k?)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
your DFFT failure only counts with TOC,s that use the DFFT , so you have lost one strike for those TOC,s , the 6 months wait applies exactly the same unless you have passed the TOC,s standard for DFFT , london midland require an enhanced pass

Thanks for the clarification - I think I'll pay to do the DFFT and Part 2 myself if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.