• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YoungBuck

Hi all..

Has anyone on here been accepted for the job at Bletchley but are waiting for a medical and a course date?

Ryder

Right I know this is slightly off the main topic but given I'm getting ever closer I was wondering if anybody knew what the salary was upon joining. I know it's frowned upon to talk about such things whilst in recruitment but I've got quite a few things going on in my life and I could do with considering some financial planning. I've googled it loads and I can only ever seem to find figures either for qualified drivers or for trainees from 2013 which I assume aren't accurate.

It is a good question mate, potentially this is going to be a life changing career and something a lot of people would have worked hard for and aspired to do, so we should want to know what to expect regardless of what stage in the recruitment process we are at. It was 24.5 I believe.

I have a couple of things, I wonder if anyone knows?

What does the salary jump to when you come out of training and when does it hit top rate? And in regards to top rate, what would be the monthly take home after tax ect (roughly) - Searching the answers on google are unreliable for me! :oops:

Also, do drivers have their annual leave allocated to them or do they get to choose? And what is the general shift pattern...4 on and how many off?

And I take it driver managers are all train drivers themselves? Or are they just other staff who manage the drivers?

Villafan10

Despite asking I had already sent my missus a screenshot of the wages many months ago but had forgot. This has been confirmed by TJD.

Trainee pay £24,040 - 9 months
Probationary pay £39, 645 - 12 months
2nd year £45,174
Fully qualified £48,750

Train driver managers either are or were train drivers.

You can take 20% off for income tax for trainee pay but when you take in to account national insurance, pension contributions etc I always think as a rough rule of thumb take off a third to get your net pay so about £16,000 for trainee.

Having never been a higher tax payer I don't know what the threshold is but I'm fairly certain that even the probationary pay would be over the threshold so you can get rid of 40% straight away in income tax.

Last edited:

Romneym335

Despite asking I had already sent my missus a screenshot of the wages many months ago but had forgot. This has been confirmed by TJD.

Trainee pay £24,040 - 9 months
Probationary pay £39, 645 - 12 months
2nd year £45,174
Fully qualified £48,750

Train driver managers either are or were train drivers.

You can take 20% off for income tax for trainee pay but when you take in to account national insurance, pension contributions etc I always think as a rough rule of thumb take off a third to get your net pay so about £16,000 for trainee.

Having never been a higher tax payer I don't know what the threshold is but I'm fairly certain that even the probationary pay would be over the threshold so you can get rid of 40% straight away in income tax.

You hit 40% once you earn over £32000 per annum

the sniper

Established Member
Also, do drivers have their annual leave allocated to them or do they get to choose? And what is the general shift pattern...4 on and how many off?

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Guards side. If so it's four 'block weeks', one taken in 'Spring', two together in 'Summer' and one in 'Winter'. Each year you move forward a certain number of blocks, so you get different weeks each year and you can work out in advance what these will be. You can also swap these weeks with other people if they're up for it. Then you have annual leave floating days, I think that might be 16 days on the drivers side? Those can be taken whenever, but each day/depot has a maximum number of people who can be granted AL on any given day/shift. So to make sure you get a day off that is particularly in demand (like a Saturday), you'd normally have to book it off a long way in advance. If you don't get the day off granted you go into a queue, so if anyone cancels their AL that day the next person in what is called 'abeyance' get granted it.

Regarding the working week, I think it's the same at all LM depots, so:

Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Rest Day, Rest Day, Friday, Saturday
Week 2: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Rest Day, Rest Day
Week 3: Rest Day, Rest Day, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

So you get a 'long weekend' every three weeks.

And I take it driver managers are all train drivers themselves? Or are they just other staff who manage the drivers?

They're all normally competent to drive trains. All the ones I know were previously full time drivers.

Ryder

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Guards side. If so it's four 'block weeks', one taken in 'Spring', two together in 'Summer' and one in 'Winter'. Each year you move forward a certain number of blocks, so you get different weeks each year and you can work out in advance what these will be. You can also swap these weeks with other people if they're up for it. Then you have annual leave floating days, I think that might be 16 days on the drivers side? Those can be taken whenever, but each day/depot has a maximum number of people who can be granted AL on any given day/shift. So to make sure you get a day off that is particularly in demand (like a Saturday), you'd normally have to book it off a long way in advance. If you don't get the day off granted you go into a queue, so if anyone cancels their AL that day the next person in what is called 'abeyance' get granted it.

Regarding the working week, I think it's the same at all LM depots, so:

Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Rest Day, Rest Day, Friday, Saturday
Week 2: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Rest Day, Rest Day
Week 3: Rest Day, Rest Day, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

So you get a 'long weekend' every three weeks.

They're all normally competent to drive trains. All the ones I know were previously full time drivers.

Nice, thank you Sniper :)

vark0

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Worcester Depot interviews?

Does anyone know the situation with Sunday working for trainee drivers?

Finally :) does anyone have info on the pension, I.e employee contributions!

Sorry for the questions! I have e-mailed HR a couple of times but I think they are busy with the various recruitment phases.

Thanks!

Vark0

RUUDBOY

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Worcester Depot interviews?

Does anyone know the situation with Sunday working for trainee drivers?

Finally :) does anyone have info on the pension, I.e employee contributions!

Sorry for the questions! I have e-mailed HR a couple of times but I think they are busy with the various recruitment phases.

Thanks!

Vark0

I've now got a date for my Worcester Depot assessment, 26th Feb. I was a little surprised as the original email before the new year stated it would be the interview first. However it is the assessment centre I have got first. LM have attached preparation notes to assist.

Goingloco

I've now got a date for my Worcester Depot assessment, 26th Feb. I was a little surprised as the original email before the new year stated it would be the interview first. However it is the assessment centre I have got first. LM have attached preparation notes to assist.

I've heard nothing regarding Worcester but after this news I will certainly be onto HR for an update. It seems odd that they are changing the process for this depot though, I've been through the 2 assessment stages recently but they would have still made contact if it was moving forward. Strange one, best get onto LM.

vark0

I've heard nothing regarding Worcester but after this news I will certainly be onto HR for an update. It seems odd that they are changing the process for this depot though, I've been through the 2 assessment stages recently but they would have still made contact if it was moving forward. Strange one, best get onto LM.

I would e-mail them. I could only choose the 26th as well, which I may not be able to attend as I'm already committed with work and will be letting people down which I can't do, unless I can get cover. Has anyone else had another date for the first assessment centre who might be able to swap? Any other day in the entire year would have been fine but the 26th.

Typical of my luck.

scouseyb123

I already passed the assessments previously with DB Schenker...wonder that is why I haven't received an email invite to this Worcester one??

Goingloco

I already passed the assessments previously with DB Schenker...wonder that is why I haven't received an email invite to this Worcester one??

I tip my hat to the HR department who are always helpful and quick to respond. They have confirmed that as I have passed the two assessment stages they have not contacted me. However, they did confirm that I need to sit the DFFT to meet their requirements. I will research what test this is, any ideas?

Driver fault finding, understand the principal after a little look around the forum.

Last edited:

Villafan10

Driver fault finding is simply about identifying which dial has a fault, based on the instructions, and following the directions given to come up with a fault code. If you have a logical mind you should be fine

Ihopeipass

I have heard on the grapevine that Coventry and Lemington depot have started the interview stage. Anyone heard anything for Wolverhampton yet.

treacletowner

I have applied for Coventry & Leamington Spa. I had a reply back in late October saying I had passed the application stage and should hear back in early 2016 for futher instructions. Just sent email to HR to see if there is anymore info.

FlyinScotsman

Hi folks.

FYI So that you can see it is worth holding out!

I applied to London Midland back in 2013. Got an email last October stating I am in the running for Coventry. Due to the timescales involved in my application, my previous assessments are due to lapse this year, so I have been invited to re-sit some next week.

Good news is that we seem to be seeing alot more progress in the recruitment stages this year.

In it for the long game!

Villafan10

Hi folks.

I applied to London Midland back in 2013. Got an email last October stating I am in the running for Coventry. Due to the timescales involved in my application, my previous assessments are due to lapse this year, so I have been invited to re-sit some next week.

Good news is that we seem to be seeing alot more progress in the recruitment stages this year.

In it for the long game!

I applied in September 2015 and am waiting for my 2nd stage assessments. Seems like I'm flying compared to some.

YoungBuck

Hi folks.

In it for the long game!

2013?! Fairplay you've got some patience!

You know when you got accepted did you have anything in writing? Because I've just had a phone call saying I'm on the list for the next available course

RUUDBOY

Completed my assessment for the Worcester Depot on 26th Feb. hoping to hear back in the week or so!!

welshjpc

Stage 2 done. All three of us present thought we had struggled on the Vienna test system but we all got through to the criteria based interview. Now the waiting game again...

welshjpc

Oh goody, another three year wait... :roll: whatever next? Father Christmas isn't real? The Easter bunny is diabetic?

RUUDBOY

I've just heard back that I've passed the stage 1 assessment for worcester depot. Driver managers interview next week

Status
Not open for further replies.