• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Broot

Ha ha. Yes.
There were a few that talked over everyone else. Then there were the few that didn't say anything at all.

The Q&A session was the worst for me. I had nothing to ask as I had already read up on the job, I.e shifts, hours, routes and pay. They were the questions that others were asking.

The problem with group tasks was that the weaker just followed the lead of the strongest speaker, whether they agreed with what his suggestions were or not. I, on the other hand, preferred to play devils advocate. Maybe not the best thing to do, but I like to know the reasoning behind the decision being made. ��

im guessing everyone was fully suited and booted?

i know the script was smart casual but id be worried about wearing anything other than full suit!

No not everyone was. Maybe 75% wearing a suit.

For me I think you could have worn anything...they either like you or they don't.

Samrose8

Yeah there is always one, I think there were 45 or so people there and one in particular was an easy decision for them.

Hey dave

Were you referring to the middle age person with curly hair he did it often I noticed and the tall young chap with glasses and a beard. Tricky I guess.

JohnFM

i know the script was smart casual but id be worried about wearing anything other than full suit!

One chap on mine came in looking like he'd stepped off a trawler; boots, walking trousers, huge aran knitted jumper and beard! Don't think he did very well!

Samrose8

One chap on mine came in looking like he'd stepped off a trawler; boots, walking trousers, huge aran knitted jumper and beard! Don't think he did very well!

I know who you mean lol he didn't look well presented.
We had one who just kept repeating everything people said, really annoying

Norman365

Casual was not mentioned in the joining instructions. Just be aware of that. ;)

Sirgerbil

I really can't understand some people, you've done well to get this far and then chuck it away for the sake of wearing a shirt and tie.

Crazy.

Norman365

I really can't understand some people, you've done well to get this far and then chuck it away for the sake of wearing a shirt and tie.

Crazy.

There were also a few candidates that didn't bring any documents with them (as specified on the joining instructions) and a couple who turned up late. Wouldn't think that would do you any favours either.:roll:

Sirgerbil

There were also a few candidates that didn't bring any documents with them (as specified on the joining instructions) and a couple who turned up late. Wouldn't think that would do you any favours either.:roll:

In my eyes - Should be an automatic fail. It's not hard in reality to bring two documents and leave early enough to arrive in good time.

Hopeful2015

For anyone who has taken assessment day was there any talk of when you would be doing psychometrics as the initial advert said Dec to Feb.

Norman365

For anyone who has taken assessment day was there any talk of when you would be doing psychometrics as the initial advert said Dec to Feb.

You are given a sheet during assessments with dates and locations to choose from for if you are successful.

This forum was mentioned on the assessment day.....

I say no more....

Apart from "hopeful2015"...you have truly singled your self out to them by saying you are a non qualified driver who is still in the running....with your "enhanced" pass on physcometric.

Won't be hard to tell who you are

Last edited:

Norman365

I say no more....

Apart from "hopeful2015"...you have truly singled your self out to them by saying you are a non qualified driver who is still in the running....with your "enhanced" pass on physcometric.

Ooof!:(

Hopeful2015

I say no more....

And what have I said that's "Bad"?

Davidson4301

I'm really looking forward to the assessment day. It sounds like it's totally different to anything I've done before . It will be hard to get noticed though as I'm pretty sure 90% of the people attending will have the same strategy for the day. Get involved but don't dominate ect.
Just wondering if anyone has had any feedback at all yet? I understand people don't want to give too much away but it will be interesting to hear some comments.

Also off topic slightly ,
I don't know why "hopeful" is being singled out , he's asking legitimate questions imo. If I'm lucky enough to be successful at the assessment centre it would be good to know if cAndidates who have already passed phycometrics are being asked to complete again.

Mike Tyson

it would be good to know if cAndidates who have already passed phycometrics are being asked to complete again.

I'm confused.. What psychometric test are you referring to? The checking test? I was under the impression that everyone goes through a different set of phycometrics if successful at the assessment.

JohnFM

I'm really looking forward to the assessment day. It sounds like it's totally different to anything I've done before . It will be hard to get noticed though as I'm pretty sure 90% of the people attending will have the same strategy for the day. Get involved but don't dominate ect.
Just wondering if anyone has had any feedback at all yet? I understand people don't want to give too much away but it will be interesting to hear some comments.

Also off topic slightly ,
I don't know why "hopeful" is being singled out , he's asking legitimate questions imo. If I'm lucky enough to be successful at the assessment centre it would be good to know if cAndidates who have already passed phycometrics are being asked to complete again.

They are not looking for people who stand out; they are looking for teamwork and a willingness to contribute. They will see the individual who wishes to dominate and take over, pushing to impress, and grade them accordingly!

These folks are well experienced in assessing candidates; don’t worry about it. Just turn up and get involved. Have fun.

Davidson4301

I'm confused.. What psychometric test are you referring to? The checking test? I was under the impression that everyone goes through a different set of phycometrics if successful at the assessment.

Yeah sorry , I should've explained better. If you are successful at the assessment day you will be invited to carry out physocmetrics on a different date which include things like the dot test , concentration test (staring at a screen for 30mins ), using joypads to navigate around a circuit , reaction test , retaining info test and an interview. That's what I done for my current job.
I think the question is regarding people like myself that if (big if) I am successfully would I have to complete phycometrics again. I completed them end of November 2014

Last edited:

Sirgerbil

I think this will be my last post in this thread as it's turned absolutely toxic with the negative comments and now evidently we have scaremongering as well.

Group assessors will know what they are looking for and will have done it before, there isn't one person trying to keep track of what everyone is saying you'll have multiple assessors looking at individuals as the day progresses and all the information is collated at the end of the day.

Of course recruitment will be aware of this thread, social media and online forums hardly take the likes of GCHQ to monitor but this scaremongering that everyone will be indentified by their posts and the fact that they have admitted they have already passed testing is ridiculous (unless your username compromises you're real name of course...)

At the end of the day, this is your journey to becoming a train driver, regardless of wether your doing it for the money or it's a life long dream, your decisions and actions are yours alone, don't let others views affect them. For those that have got this far, just be yourself on the day, ask the questions you want to ask and wait for the outcome.

Best of luck to all.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
To bring it back to normality.
Hopeful 2015, If you get through the group Assessment phase your Past results should stand you in good stead but be prepared, they may ask you to do certain ones as not all of the TOCS do the exact same parts of the Assessment. I have not heard of a TOC making a candidate do all of them again (unless time limit expired) but I may be wrong.

There is a Q&A session at the beginning and you are entitled to ask them on the day..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.