• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

danyurl

Interesting. I'm on the ECML and had to pay to travel to the medical. I didn't mind doing that, of course, but I was a bit miffed when I saw that someone on here got free travel!

The medical was a bit weird for me, wasn't expecting to get my abdomen prodded! Did everyone else get an abdominal examination?

Is it also usual to have to provide an eyeglasses/contact lenses prescription?

What?! That sounds strange. Bit strange regarding the prescription as they haven't requested I bring it? I wear glasses for long distance but assumed passing the test would suffice, might have to dig the prescription out then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Danny1860

Interesting. I'm on the ECML and had to pay to travel to the medical. I didn't mind doing that, of course, but I was a bit miffed when I saw that someone on here got free travel!

The medical was a bit weird for me, wasn't expecting to get my abdomen prodded! Did everyone else get an abdominal examination?

Is it also usual to have to provide an eyeglasses/contact lenses prescription?

I am led to believe the abdomen prodding is checking for hernias.

KOA

I wear glasses for distance, didn't have to provide my prescription.

Sirgerbil, is the Wellbeing Building on the corner of Grays Inn Road and Acton St? There isn't a place called Leon which the building is meant to be next to. Only Leon I can find is right next to the actual station. Can you confirm where you had your medical

Sirgerbil

Sirgerbil, is the Wellbeing Building on the corner of Grays Inn Road and Acton St? There isn't a place called Leon which the building is meant to be next to. Only Leon I can find is right next to the actual station. Can you confirm where you had your medical

Read your joining instructions again, it's within the station.

ManOnATrain

Anybody know if trainees get free parking at their depot or station during driver handovers? I imagine (when we start shadowing a driver on their shift patterns) if we're starting at 5am with no public transport to get there, then they'd allow us to drive and park somewhere. Not gonna be fab squashed in a rush hour train trying to get to the simulators at 9am.

Lincdsg

That's my concern at the minute too, I'm an hour away from kings cross, no idea how I'd get there on time for an early start as there wouldn't be any trains running that early. It must be possible as I know so drivers live as far away as Peterborough from kings cross, however I can't get in touch with anyone from recruitment to ask the question

E&W Lucas

Established Member
That's my concern at the minute too, I'm an hour away from kings cross, no idea how I'd get there on time for an early start as there wouldn't be any trains running that early. It must be possible as I know so drivers live as far away as Peterborough from kings cross, however I can't get in touch with anyone from recruitment to ask the question

An hour's drive into London for an 0530 start, will be a 2+ hour drive home in the afternoon, after you've already completed a day of driving.
Not sensible.
Can you drive to a station that does have an overnight service?
Thameslink route, Peterborough- KX, Milton Keynes - Euston, etc?

Ffcsteve14

IM same predicament as a few others. Live 35 minutes away but first train to London is 4.58. Can't get into kings Cross till 5.45 earliest. Have passed everything and just waiting to confirm start date and have asked the questions just waiting for a reply. There is only underground and TfL rail near me.

The drive isn't as bad as 2 hours. Work central London at the moment. Drive is roughly 40 minutes into London and at worse I have found 1hr 20 1hr 30 back out. As long as parking no real issue

Lincdsg

I live a couple of minutes away from Kettering train station but the first train doesn't leave until 0500, which would get me to st pancras just after 0600. I hope this would be OK but can't contract anyone to ask, same issues others are having though I guess

Chuggington21

I could be wrong but answering questions about whether you get a car park pass or not won't be high ontheir list. I know the drivers at Edinburgh get a pass for the car park. If you are really that desperate to know. Why don't you go to KGX and ask

Sirgerbil

I looked at the timetables before I applied, the earliest N/Bnd train from KX is 0550, so I'm assuming for enough time to check notices, use the loo and book on without rushing, you'd need to be there about 0515.

In terms of those asking about parking, I'm not aware if there is staff parking but I can tell you there is no "free" parking in the immediate area it's all permit unless you ride a motorbike. You'll also need to factor in congestion charge at £12 a day.

W230

Established Member
In terms of those asking about parking, I'm not aware if there is staff parking but I can tell you there is no "free" parking in the immediate area it's all permit unless you ride a motorbike. You'll also need to factor in congestion charge at £12 a day.
KGX isn't (yet) in the congestion charge zone - it fringes to the south. There is parking for GTR employees so I can't believe there won't be any for VTEC.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I live a couple of minutes away from Kettering train station but the first train doesn't leave until 0500, which would get me to st pancras just after 0600. I hope this would be OK but can't contract anyone to ask, same issues others are having though I guess

Drive to Bedford and catch a Thameslink in, like all the other Central London based drivers in those parts!

Tyrion

I looked at the timetables before I applied, the earliest N/Bnd train from KX is 0550, so I'm assuming for enough time to check notices, use the loo and book on without rushing, you'd need to be there about 0515.

Earliest book on time at the X is 05:23 currently

Chuggington21

Just cause the 1st service is at 0550 that's not roughly when you book on. Edinburgh easy departure is about the same time and their earliest book on is about 0330.

A quick Google you will find a good few car parks in the area ok not free but you won't need to get the car all the time and your will earning a few Bob

Lincdsg

Drive to Bedford and catch a Thameslink in, like all the other Central London based drivers in those parts!

Brilliant thank you, that's a massive help, I was concerned that it would stop me getting the job if I pass the medical

Chuggington21

How do the Thameslink drivers get to work and do they get free parking? Ha! :lol:

It's important for people to be able to get to work safely and on time. I don't want to be the trainee driver in the news who got stabbed to death in some backstreet at 3am whist walking to work because his employer didn't provide him parking. I don't think people should be expected to get a taxi either. I guess when you're in the full whack top driver salary then £15 a day parking at the station isn't a big deal. Trainee salary on the other hand...

I've always been a cheapo though and it seems wasteful to spend that much. I generally don't go anywhere if I have to pay for parking unless it's absolutely necesssary and the preferred evil over being squashed on a packed train/bus.

Fair enough that VTEC aren't too concerned with answering these questions at the minute but I don't see anything wrong with asking them on here.

100% nothing wrong with asking mate

Status
Not open for further replies.