• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express December 2019 Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
We live in a Crazy world. I was beginning to think that the head of First group had a dossier of all of Boris Johnson’s children’s locations to continually get what they want. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
Which Northern routes are designed solely to compete with TPE? If there are any, then it was silly of the DfT to put them into the Franchise Agreement and TSR

Presumably this is a reference to the hourly York - Scarborough and hourly Leeds - Hull services, both of which would be directly competing with long established TPE services.

The Hull service starts now (an extension of the Leeds - Selby service), but the Scarborough one hasn't yet. Mind you, Northern have plenty of other franchise commitments that they haven't yet delivered, and have capacity problems on established routes (but will be getting a share of the Leeds - Hull market).

So, Northern are stretching themselves to run in competition with TPE, whilst TPE stretch themselves to run in competition with XC/ LNER... I don't think that we'd use our resources like this in a properly integrated railway but various wrong turns have taken us to where we are today and nobody seems to want to deal with it - franchises seem happier to develop new and exciting markets (on other people's turf) than do the boring/necessary thing of focus on their own "core" markets (not just TPE).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can I clarify? I was involved (unfortunately) in franchise spec and (far more unfortunately) continue to be involved with what is laughably and somewhat loosely referred to as the "franchise management" with regard to this and Northern.
[…]
However TPE have been seen as able to survive, but only if essentially they are allowed a fairly free reign to maximise cost and minimise revenue... OK, that is a bit of an exaggeration...
[…]
Was that bit ^^^ actually what you meant to write?

BeHereNow

The December 2019 briefing on the website says 32 trains will be introduced and all Hull services will be 6 car. I thought the full rollout of Nova 3s is further delayed?

Killingworth

Established Member
The December 2019 briefing on the website says 32 trains will be introduced and all Hull services will be 6 car. I thought the full rollout of Nova 3s is further delayed?

Most, but not yet all, South Pennine trains are planned to be 6 cars from Sunday. Weather, train breakdowns, signalling and point failures, broken down freights, crewing issues and other TOC issues permitting, of course! Fingers crossed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Most, but not yet all, South Pennine trains are planned to be 6 cars from Sunday. Weather, train breakdowns, signalling and point failures, broken down freights, crewing issues and other TOC issues permitting, of course! Fingers crossed.

In my dreams, TPE, mindful this is the pantomime season, will I see this coming Sunday offering an opportunity for making one of their usual "10 minutes before departure" announcements at Manchester Airport to state " We regret to announce that the 0751 service from Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes has been cancelled, but will commence its journey from Grimsby Town".....:)

Killingworth

Established Member
In my dreams, TPE, mindful this is the pantomime season, will I see this coming Sunday offering an opportunity for making one of their usual "10 minutes before departure" announcements at Manchester Airport to state " We regret to announce that the 0751 service from Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes has been cancelled, but will commence its journey from Grimsby Town".....:)

That one still seems to be down for 3 coaches!

tpjm

Ok yep but all the Nova 1s and 3s in is great news!
Certainly not all from Dec 15th. Given the cancelled LIV-EDB services, they wouldn’t need them all and nothing Nova shaped will be running to MBR until next year.

CHESHIRECAT

Certainly not all from Dec 15th. Given the cancelled LIV-EDB services, they wouldn’t need them all and nothing Nova shaped will be running to MBR until next year.
What about Manchester airport to Newcastle ? Is that staying 185 for time being ? I understood would be 68 + Mark 5 ?

Tim_UK

No-one has posted why this service is needed. No-one has suggested how it will bring new revenue to the railway. Apparently the onus is on me to prove this. Unfortunately I won’t be able to until Xc and LNER publish their drops in revenue. I will refrain from calling it an Orcats raid if that is what upsets you. Will reword it to say it is a service designed primarily to extract revenue from other operating companies.

You don't mention figures, or numbers ....

I live in Huddersfield, and I'm quite looking forward to direct trains between Huddersfield and Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is a nice trip. I've done every flavour of ticket, and almost every route. (never via S&C). And driven loads too.

An open return at £110, that's a bit steep. But I've paid for a few. I'd usually go via York with this ticket. But the journey has (3 of the last 4 times) have involved a few pints in the lovely York station pub, having just missed a connection. And once deciding not to get on a complete rammed cross country service.

And usually very few advance fare options via york. Flexible ticket the same price. Which to me says, not loads of spare capacity into Edinburgh.

So I often get an advance on TPE and go to Glasgow, via Manchester. Stay in Glasgow and get an early morning scotrail into Edinburgh. And then TPE home from Edinburgh.

Hudds, Man, Glasgow premier inn, early train to Edinburgh, Man, Hudds often comes in way cheaper and more convenient than Hudds, York, Edinburgh hotel, York, Huddersfield. Sometimes I can even get a second night in Glasgow on the way home and still be cheaper.

So, direct train, full of win. I'm looking forward to it.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Actually I can suggest a reason you can’t get a reasonable priced AP. i have experience the same issues. The problem is actually TPE not having opening reservations.

i tend to book the AP from York - Scotland then but the York - Destination separately. So the reason you often can’t get an AP is because TPE don’t realise then on existing stock. (Because it is too small)

would you not rather wait 6 months and have you core route fixed first?

Tim_UK

i tend to book the AP from York - Scotland then but the York - Destination separately. So the reason you often can’t get an AP is because TPE don’t realise then on existing stock. (Because it is too small)

would you not rather wait 6 months and have you core route fixed first?

I usually look at split ticket options.

I'm not that fussed about minor delays on the core route. I'm usually going to Manchester or Leeds. And if there are delays, then the train before is delayed too. I'm fussed if the whole service stops (but not sure than can be fixed, ever)

I am fussed about room to get on the trains. I was at Huddersfield last Sunday night, waiting for a Newcastle, dropping off a friend and stayed to chat. 2 trains before went past - rammed, only 2 or 3 seats empty on whole train, even with people standing up to get off. Loads of people stood up when they left.

My friend got a seat at Leeds, but said there were people who were stood all the way to Newcastle.

So bring on more of the new trains, which I think the timetable change does, even with the cancellations. (still not ended up riding on them, but seen plenty go past. The 802s look amazing in TPE blue)

Failed Unit

Established Member
TPE choosing to prioritise running to Edinburgh will result in less trains for you to get to Leeds and Manchester on. They haven’t got enough stock to run both. So while you are stood on the platform watching rammed trains come and go, you can think at least they are running nearly empty trains to Edinburgh.
That is my point. They are cancelling the trains the good people of Huddersfield want to use so the can extract revenue on the Edinburgh route. To me using this limited resource where it is really needed between Huddersfield and Leeds / Manchester is a better use of it.

when they have enough units go and extract some money of the other operators. Until then look after you loyal but fed up customers.

greyman42

Established Member
I can see no reason why anyone would use TPE between Edinburgh and York other than an operator specific cheap fare. The trains are the same as LNERs but the journey time is much slower. From Edinburgh the TPE service is 3 minutes after the LNER.
What is the reason for the TPE services being much slower?

tpjm

What about Manchester airport to Newcastle ? Is that staying 185 for time being ? I understood would be 68 + Mark 5 ?

Will start to move over to Class 802. MkVa was never going to Newcastle because they’re limited to 100MPH, think you must be confusing it with the Airport - Middlebrough service.

That is my point. They are cancelling the trains the good people of Huddersfield want to use so the can extract revenue on the Edinburgh route. To me using this limited resource where it is really needed between Huddersfield and Leeds / Manchester is a better use of it.
I take the point, but I’ve been seeing a significant increase in 5 and 6 car trains running through Huddersfield in recent weeks. I know it’s 1tph gone in the off-peak, but it’s not all bad if the extra capacity is there.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Will start to move over to Class 802. MkVa was never going to Newcastle because they’re limited to 100MPH, think you must be confusing it with the Airport - Middlebrough service.

I believe way back in around plan A or maybe B times in 2016ish there was a plan for them to start on Newcastle services before eventually switching to their final home on Middlesbrough/Scarborough once the 802s arrived. I think it was back when the idea behind getting the Mk5s was that they'd be in service very quick (!). But that went by the wayside several years ago because, as I'm sure you know, the 68s+Mk5s have been going straight onto the Middlesbrough/Scarboroughs for a long while now.

I can see no reason why anyone would use TPE between Edinburgh and York other than an operator specific cheap fare. The trains are the same as LNERs but the journey time is much slower. From Edinburgh the TPE service is 3 minutes after the LNER.

What is the reason for the TPE services being much slower?

Because they will be running on diesel for part of the journey? More stops?

According to this on RTT the 1133 on Monday 16 December 2019 from Edinburgh arrives at York at 1402 - a journey time of 2 hours and 29 minutes with stops at Morpeth, Newcastle, Durham and Darlington. This includes starting at Waverley on electric, changing to diesel at Longniddry then back to electric near Alnmouth.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y33784/2019-12-16/detailed

For comparison, the LNER 1130 service is due to arrive in York at 1354 - a journey time of 2 hours and 24 minutes with stops at Newcastle and Darlington.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72760/2019-12-16/detailed

Not much in it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Because they will be running on diesel for part of the journey? More stops?

According to this on RTT the 1133 on Monday 16 December 2019 from Edinburgh arrives at York at 1402 - a journey time of 2 hours and 29 minutes with stops at Morpeth, Newcastle, Durham and Darlington. This includes starting at Waverley on electric, changing to diesel at Longniddry then back to electric near Alnmouth.

For comparison, the LNER 1130 service is due to arrive in York at 1354 - a journey time of 2 hours and 24 minutes with stops at Newcastle and Darlington.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72760/2019-12-16/detailed

Not much in it.
...and you’d have to assume they’re slowing and speeding up for the pan lower and raise, either side of the Chathill power restriction, but that won’t be for too long as plans exist to beef it up.

I've been having a look at the planned service from Edinburgh to Liverpool after the end of the temporary timetable.

Does anybody know why there is a 3 hour gap in the morning for a service to Liverpool? Lack of paths?

TPE departures booked from Edinburgh on Monday 20 January 2020.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP

0517 Liverpool Lime Street
0627 Liverpool Lime Street
0810 Newcastle
0933 Liverpool Lime Street
1021 Liverpool Lime Street
1133 Liverpool Lime Street
1233 Liverpool Lime Street
1319 Liverpool Lime Street
1433 Liverpool Lime Street
1533 Liverpool Lime Street
1633 Liverpool Lime Street
1732 Liverpool Lime Street
1811 Liverpool Lime Street *
1930 Manchester Piccadilly
2030 Manchester Airport
2215 Newcastle

It seems strange to me that the 0810 only goes to Newcastle.

* Hopefully this is not a recipe for confusion as the TPE west coast service to Manchester Airport is booked to depart at 1812. I've been on a few trains leaving Waverley where people have realised they were on the wrong train to Birmingham.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've been having a look at the planned service from Edinburgh to Liverpool.
Does anybody know why there is a 3 hour gap in the morning for a service to Liverpool? Lack of paths?

Because TPE has chosen to cancel 3 services in a row between Newcastle and Liverpool in order to concentrate on training more crew for the journey, until 5 January.
There don't appear to be 185 substitutions.
There are fewer cancellations on Saturdays.

Because TPE has chosen to cancel 3 services in a row between Newcastle and Liverpool in order to concentrate on training more crew for the journey, until 5 January.
There don't appear to be 185 substitutions.
There are fewer cancellations on Saturdays.

The info I posted was for Monday 20 January 2020. After the temporary timetable is due to end.

I've edited my original post to make it clearer I'm not referring to the temporary timetable.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Might make more sense to look at the times a bit later in the year - firstly after 16 February and then after April.

Killingworth

Established Member
Redcar, a constituency that surprisingly went from red to blue, gets its immediate reward from TPE with trains to Manchester Airport. Can Boris claim that achievement as a first step to boost the North?

Camden

Established Member
Redcar, a constituency that surprisingly went from red to blue, gets its immediate reward from TPE with trains to Manchester Airport. Can Boris claim that achievement as a first step to boost the North?
Can TPE provision be described as a reward these days?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
More to the point this isn't a politics thread and so I'd ask that we leave it here thank you.

Class 170101

Established Member

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before a train due to pan down on the ECML north of Newcastle doesn't do so and then potentially 'blows' the supply.

Or the other option the pan is lowered but the OLE comes crashing down too.

Perhaps someone with better OLE knowledge than me might be able to answer this question, why wasn't an instruction issued that all trains must use less power. The quote I've seen in other examples is;
'Drivers must NOT use more than Notch 3 on the Power Controller in this section' or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.