• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express New Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
One more question... If one of us are lucky enough to be offered a position, how long before we would be able to apply for an internal transfer to another TPE Depot after being qualified, ie for the Southern route?
Can't speak for FTPE but you can stick your name down anytime at the TOC i'm at and you would go on a waiting list (if there is one).

I think you may actually be able to move depots sooner but I would imagine that generally you would want to crack on with your 250hrs instead of moving depots and them having to find (or having available) another driver trainer. I understand that of those that want to move, most request a move on qualification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroKen

I was planning on applying for the Tweedbank vacancy, I believe you can only apply for one at a time? Am I correct? Thanks

Sammyh you can apply for tweedbank as well as the ftpe locations it should let you complete both, as long as you havent been knocked back from First in the last 3 months at application stage - have you heard back from DB? My partner has an assessment date in feb but I haven't had a call/letter yet....fingers crossed we hear this week :D

Colm

I've applied for Scotrail, Glasgow central depot and have been "successful on short listing-on hold" I was just wondering how long generally it is until the next step. Also, where do Scotrail hold interviews/tests.

Thanks in advance

TheVicLine

I live in York, I applied for that on a whim, got knocked back straight away cos of where I live, and now can't apply for the FTPE vacancy cos it was less than 3 months ago, so my advice to you mate if you live in England, just apply for the FTPE jobs instead, there's more available too, plus like I say, I think unless you live Newcastle Carlisle way you might not be considered for the Tweedbank job.

You need to be within an hour(ish) of the depot you are applying for or your application will be rejected, unless you state that you will be re-locating.

I'm also pretty certain that you can only have one application in at a time with TPE, however again if you are stating that you will re-locate then you can name multiple depots on the application.

penninedriver

One more question... If one of us are lucky enough to be offered a position, how long before we would be able to apply for an internal transfer to another TPE Depot after being qualified, ie for the Southern route?

Other First TOCS it's after 2 years that you can request a depot move, I'd imagine it'd be the same at ftpe as well.

KT530

Thanks penninedriver.

Re anyone who has completed the application, after proceeding past step 1 is there an option to upload a covering letter?

Lanc688

Thanks penninedriver.

Re anyone who has completed the application, after proceeding past step 1 is there an option to upload a covering letter?

There is an option to upload documents such as this on the main Career panel, however I'm not sure whether this is then auto tied into your application.

It was back in July 12 that I did this and so I can't actually remember if this worked as I suggest above !

Lanc

PeteH

There is an option to upload documents such as this on the main Career panel, however I'm not sure whether this is then auto tied into your application.

It was back in July 12 that I did this and so I can't actually remember if this worked as I suggest above !

Lanc

Over the last year I've applied to 3 First Group TOCs (3rd time lucky!).

The second and third times I applied (Summer '12) my CV was already present from the initial application back in February, as were all my personal details.

One can enter and edit ones personal details, like place of residence which is where all documentation will be sent until a new address is entered, and of course upload a new CV.

KT530

Once qualified, are there opportunities for overtime & rest day working? If so, would the pay rate be higher, or pro rota same as salary?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Sundays are inside with TPE, so I'd imagine that RDW and overtime are limited.

E-Rail

Do FTPE employees receive the 75% discount on travel with other TOCs?

The job descriptions describe all the First Group and TPE benefits but make no mention of discounted travel on other TOCS.

PeteH

Do FTPE employees receive the 75% discount on travel with other TOCs?

The job descriptions describe all the First Group and TPE benefits but make no mention of discounted travel on other TOCS.

I can't speak for FTPE, but with FGW one can purchase a season ticket for other TOCs at 1/4 the regular cost. No discount available with London Underground.

hopefultrainee

I everyone I'm new here but have also recently applied with Transpennine Express. I had a few problems trying to attach my CV and cover letter, is there any way to tell after the closing date if they were actaully attached or not? cheers

Sammy h

Think I have made a schoolboy error here, I can't even remember the form asking for a CV or covering letter and it still let me submit it?

Have I buggered it up!!

PeteH

Think I have made a schoolboy error here, I can't even remember the form asking for a CV or covering letter and it still let me submit it?

Have I buggered it up!!

You can go back to your application and upload a CV.

If you go to your 'Application Submission History' and use the 'View application' button (careful - it's next to the 'Remove Self from Consideration' button!) on the right hand side it takes you to your 'CV and Application Profile' page. At the top there will be a pink 'Upload CV' button.

Lanc688

You can go back to your application and upload a CV.

If you go to your 'Application Submission History' and use the 'View application' button (careful - it's next to the 'Remove Self from Consideration' button!) on the right hand side it takes you to your 'CV and Application Profile' page. At the top there will be a pink 'Upload CV' button.

There was no requirement to upload a CV (from memory)...It's just something that you can do I think.

Pete...good to see the contract is signed now. The joining instructions are sent 2 weeks before start allegedly and so I expect them next week.

Jc

PeteH

There was no requirement to upload a CV (from memory)...It's just something that you can do I think.

Pete...good to see the contract is signed now. The joining instructions are sent 2 weeks before start allegedly and so I expect them next week.

Jc

No, no requirement - can't do any harm though, and if unsuccessful at driver they might find another position within the company.

Mine has all happened quite quickly now*; e-mail through from Verifile on Thursday, spoke to them in the afternoon & uploaded all the info that evening, they'd contacted 'my' old OC Ops Wg by Friday lunchtime. Contract came through in Friday's post and due back before the end of next week. Just need to decide on which bits of uniform I want (Harrington or 2nd suit jacket, etc.).

It'd be nice to have had a idea of what was happening where during the first week, but I guess it's not massively important as long as I hear by Feb 3rd.

Pete.

* with 2 weeks to go it needed to!

Last edited:

kleb15

Slightly off topic this, but I applied for the trainee conductors job yesterday at York, and within 24 hours it said unsuccesful at application, now I know my application wasn't that bad as i've applied for the trainee driver positions before and never been knoocked back at the application stage, I at least get through to the shortlisting. A few people on here say that if you make any spelling mistakes that it automatically rejects you, and I checked my application with the little tick at the side of every answer and the only word that came up as incorrect was the word 'TransPennine' now that is the name of the company so surely their system isn't that stupid to reject you for that spelling mistake is it?

E-Rail

Slightly off topic this, but I applied for the trainee conductors job yesterday at York, and within 24 hours it said unsuccesful at application, now I know my application wasn't that bad as i've applied for the trainee driver positions before and never been knoocked back at the application stage, I at least get through to the shortlisting. A few people on here say that if you make any spelling mistakes that it automatically rejects you, and I checked my application with the little tick at the side of every answer and the only word that came up as incorrect was the word 'TransPennine' now that is the name of the company so surely their system isn't that stupid to reject you for that spelling mistake is it?

Some of those check boxes will be set by default to a rejection pathway depending on whether you check 'yes' or 'no'.

There will be different competencies required for Conductor and Trainee Driver. For eg, you may progress further as a trainee driver if you lack cash handling or customer facing experience but I'd imagine it would rule you out of consideration for a conductors position straight away.

kleb15

Some of those check boxes will be set by default to a rejection pathway depending on whether you check 'yes' or 'no'.

There will be different competencies required for Conductor and Trainee Driver. For eg, you may progress further as a trainee driver if you lack cash handling or customer facing experience but I'd imagine it would rule you out of consideration for a conductors position straight away.

Really? Because I currently work in retail, so basically all I do is face customers and handle cash, and I mentioned that, I'd love to know where I messed up on that, cos as I say with the train driver applications i've always got a lot further, and I thought i'd be more suited at this stage to a conductors position over a driver position.

Geargrinder

Really? Because I currently work in retail, so basically all I do is face customers and handle cash, and I mentioned that, I'd love to know where I messed up on that, cos as I say with the train driver applications i've always got a lot further, and I thought i'd be more suited at this stage to a conductors position over a driver position.

First Group recruitment are a law unto themselves.

Dazza

Hi guys , just joined this forum after applying for a position at Newcastle.
I'll keep browsing on here to see if I can pick up any tips?
Re the training salary, it would be a big paycut for me but something I'm willing to stomach to hopefully achieve a better career with pension etc?
Dazza.

sw1ller

Established Member

Theres a small possibility they have taken the job vacancy away due to business constraints or something similer. You may not have messed up at all but i doubt you will ever find out.

W230

Established Member
Slightly off topic this, but I applied for the trainee conductors job yesterday at York, and within 24 hours it said unsuccesful at application, now I know my application wasn't that bad as i've applied for the trainee driver positions before and never been knoocked back at the application stage, I at least get through to the shortlisting.
I would think it's more to do with the number of good applications, who's doing the shortlisting etc. When they start whittling them down it's probably quite hard to be make an absolutely uniform decision every time and I reckon a bit of pot luck must come into play!

kleb15

Thanks a lot for the response guys, just had the email through to confirm it, the status channged yesterday on the First Group website, Oh well, every day's a school day isn't it, just quite surprised that they consider my application slightly more for a job i've never done, whereas to a job that is basically the same as what i'm doing now they just turn me away at the first hurdle

KT530

Re the free travel for you and spouse that most TOCs offer, is this offered from day one, ie from when you start training? And if you do not have a current 'spouse', can you give it to a close family member, such as Daughter or Mother?

Any knowledge on this would be appreciated

Pumbaa

Established Member
I don't know about First group TOCs, but with some other TOCs the perks and benefits are bestowed after a probationary period. A common probationary period is 6 months, as that's when new entrants are eligible for PRIV. So you get all the perks from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.