• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express New Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVicLine

I was told there were 4 for Liverpool and 2 were filled with qualified drivers and the other 2 positions have also been filled but this info was before Christmas so maybe there are more available.

That was from the last intake two qualified drivers from Arriva and two new trainee drivers from outside TPE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all I have received this e-mail from TPE.

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your application for the position of Trainee Train Driver with First TransPennine Express, it’s great news that you want to work with us.

This was a very popular position to which we received a large number of applications at a very high standard. This means it will take us longer than usual to short list applications. We anticipate we should be able to update you within 5 weeks.

Apologies for the delay with this process and thank you again for your time and interest in this vacancy.

Kind regards

FirstGroup Resourcing Team

So I think we all need to be a bit more patient. I am still checking my e-maild every few mins. I have applied for Blackpool, although I am just as close to Manchester.:D:D:D

Good luck to everyone.

Dazza

Hi Michelle,
I received the very same email (last week).
It's been years since I last applied for a job(I'm in road transport and jobs have just found me!)
I very excited by my new venture but at the same time,nervous.
Fingers crossed for everyone who's applied.
Good luck.

Daz

Hi Dazza,

Good luck, which station did you apply for? I have also been lucky and been headhunted for my jobs, but I have always wanted to be a train driver and I am now at a time in my life where I can do this. I have applied for Blackpool, although I live just as close to Manchester. We may get to meet at assessment day with a bit of luck:D:D:D

ST

Hello all,

Is anyone able to advise on what timescales FTPE are working too, I know others and myself have received the 5 week wait email, are FTPE working to a very quick turnaround after this, or is it a case of test/interview dates in April/May or to be advised?

Many thanks in advance.

TheVicLine

Hello all,

Is anyone able to advise on what timescales FTPE are working too, I know others and myself have received the 5 week wait email, are FTPE working to a very quick turnaround after this, or is it a case of test/interview dates in April/May or to be advised?

Many thanks in advance.

If they say 5 weeks then it WILL be nearly 5 weeks to the day. HR are still sifting the applications and the course will not start until maybe July now so it will be slow and dragged out and you will feel like it is taking forever (mine took 6 months from applying to starting training). However hang in there cos TPE really are a great company to work for and the driver training course so far for me has been awesome!

Good luck all it's a slow process but well worth it if you get through. :D

Lanc688

If they say 5 weeks then it WILL be nearly 5 weeks to the day. HR are still sifting the applications and the course will not start until maybe July now so it will be slow and dragged out and you will feel like it is taking forever (mine took 6 months from applying to starting training). However hang in there cos TPE really are a great company to work for and the driver training course so far for me has been awesome!

Good luck all it's a slow process but well worth it if you get through. :D

I'll second that.....quite a lot of applications have passed the initial sift (computer) and so the guys have their work cut out for them.....!

They sure do look after you when you get there though !
:D
Lanc

ST

Thank you to you both, I hope I can make it through the initial sift - will no doubt update on the forum.

All the best.

sw1ller

Established Member
I hate those last few posts!! just makes me want to pass the sift and tests so much more!! how very dare you! :)

signal box

Thanks to The vic line and Lanc688.
It's great to know we've applied a good company. Lets hope all of us who have applied on here get through!!!
Good Luck Everyone!!

JAMBO

Is it possible to retrieve all your application once you have submitted it? Not sure what the trainee application is like,with the qualified it only lets me look at the first page??

TDK

Established Member
Is it possible to retrieve all your application once you have submitted it? Not sure what the trainee application is like,with the qualified it only lets me look at the first page??

I know that once you get the job and your file is compiled it is your right to see your personal file however I do not know if the actual results are in the file as in my file is just says pass on the assessment part. I was told what my results were after my interview for all sections and I didn't even have to ask.

bob hope

Jambo,

The only parts of the application (for a trainee) that it allows you to check are the personal details, career history. education, and the checkboxes for things like "do you live within 60 mins" etc. It doesn't show you the other parts regarding examples of working alone, etc.

You can check the above by going to application submission history and clicking on view application in the actions column.

You jumping ship from DBS then?:)

derek3862

Long time lurker first poster.

i would love to get this job, have applied and still not heard,

just wondered though, if you have holidays booked during your year of training can you take them?
how are they about letting you have time off.

LWB

Hell! With (hopefully) a lifetime doing your ideal job, if I got a train driver trainee job the last thing I'd be thinking of is some poxy holiday! :grin:

just wondered though, if you have holidays booked during your year of training can you take them?

Different companies will have different ways of doing things.
Usually though, the training is quite intensive and they won't like you missing the training schedule.

Having said that, you could always contact HR and ask them.

derek3862

Thanks for the replies
I would cancel any holiday I had. It's only a friends apt anyway so it's not set in stone

Surely though it can't be good for staff morale or the ability to learn if you have been in training solidly for 52 weeks

Thanks for the replies
I would cancel any holiday I had. It's only a friends apt anyway so it's not set in stone

Surely though it can't be good for staff morale or the ability to learn if you have been in training solidly for 52 weeks

When I went through my driver training originally, although the course is long, they did give us some holidays to take, however we were told when to take them rather than being able to choose, for example between the traction training module and commencing route learning.
We did have one lad who was allowed a week off during the 'front end turns' part of the training, as this isn't as vital as other parts of the training.

I believe it's a legal minimum requirement of four weeks holiday per year now anyway, whatever job you do? I could be wrong about that of course, but they'll definitely not work you for 52 weeks of the training year!!

Tube driver training is now 12-14 weeks in length.

Indeed, was probably about that when I did it.
In my post above. I was referring to my training on the mainline. This would have been late 90s.
I only have these forums to let me know what mainline training consists of these days!

PeteH

I'd imagine FTPE is fairly similar to FGW.

FGW training takes a minimum of 42 weeks, assuming the requisite 250 hrs, including 50 (or is it 40 - whatever) night is reached before the final assessment week.

For the course starting Feb 4th we were given week 12, 21 - 27 April, as leave, followed by weeks 24 & 25, 14 - 27 July, in the summer. The first lot of leave is pretty much fixed*, the two in the summer we're told can be fairly flexible. The summer leave takes place during front-end turns. Our DM at Oxford and the instructor at Reading have said that as long as we de-conflict any holiday from a couple of mandated classroom weeks (28 & 27) in August and another in October - then we are free to take summer leave when wanted.

It may of course vary for different TOCs and depots, but I wouldn't book anything prior to having sight of the course timetable, which you should see on day one. We were sent a copy prior to this but it varied from the one we are now working to.

*It can, and has for one chap, be shifted and swapped with one of the cab ride weeks, but it creates a bit of paperwork and is not something they seem to wish to see become the norm.

TDK

Established Member

It all depends on what part of the training you are doing at the time of your holiday. When you start you will not have any annual leave and only get pro rata for example if the annual leave allocation is 28 days divide this by 12 and that is what you will get per month of service. If you get to the interview stage you should be asked if you have any booked holidays.

TheVicLine

I'd imagine FTPE is fairly similar to FGW.

FGW training takes a minimum of 42 weeks, assuming the requisite 250 hrs, including 50 (or is it 40 - whatever) night is reached before the final assessment week.

For the course starting Feb 4th we were given week 12, 21 - 27 April, as leave, followed by weeks 24 & 25, 14 - 27 July, in the summer. The first lot of leave is pretty much fixed*, the two in the summer we're told can be fairly flexible. The summer leave takes place during front-end turns. Our DM at Oxford and the instructor at Reading have said that as long as we de-conflict any holiday from a couple of mandated classroom weeks (28 & 27) in August and another in October - then we are free to take summer leave when wanted.

It may of course vary for different TOCs and depots, but I wouldn't book anything prior to having sight of the course timetable, which you should see on day one. We were sent a copy prior to this but it varied from the one we are now working to.

*It can, and has for one chap, be shifted and swapped with one of the cab ride weeks, but it creates a bit of paperwork and is not something they seem to wish to see become the norm.

The TPE positions are pretty much the same, we started 4 weeks ago and have been told we are looking at passing out in September. I think this is a bit optimistic and it all depends on getting the 250 hours driving in.

Holiday is allocated to you and you wont get any for the first 5 months when you are classroom based, after that you are expected to take any leave when your instructor takes his while doing your front end turns. I think it was 2 weeks in the summer, 1 in winter, 1 in spring and a few other days that you can take when you like.

Dazza

Hi lads & Lasses,
Its getting very close to 5 weeks since we received 'that' email from FTPE.
Anyone getting nervous yet?

Regards,

Daz

NI 271

Hi lads & Lasses,
Its getting very close to 5 weeks since we received 'that' email from FTPE.
Anyone getting nervous yet?

Regards,

Daz

Nope, because I'm only expecting a 'thanks but no thanks'. If I apply in the summer, then yes, I'd be back to checking my email and account on the TPE site every few hours. My five weeks is up on Monday, so I'll soon be put out of my misery.

No fun, is it? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.