• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express New Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Hey Bulldog - you hate running but like a bit of biking - is that you?

So our friend PinkShirtedToon was indeed the guy in the pink shirt!

Sorry to hear about your borderline pass PinkShirtedToon, you certainly didn't hang around so we thought you'd failed outright. Small consolation I know, but I'm glad to hear that wasn't the case and that it hasn't put you off.

The unfortunate thing is that being locked out of the testing for 6 months means that I can't apply again until at least late October so will miss out on the rumoured September course.

Merrydown - thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mark1981

An update for those still waiting for results from stage 2.

I've just called the recruitment department at first group and the lady i spoke to told me the results would be in next week, I told her this didn't make sense because the next stage of tests is currently ongoing and I understood that I must have failed.
She said it doesn't necessarily mean I've failed because some of the stage 3 tests are still to take place!

I'm really confused now.

Clarky042

I've just called the recruitment department at first group and the lady i spoke to told me the results would be in next week, I told her this didn't make sense because the next stage of tests is currently ongoing and I understood that I must have failed.
She said it doesn't necessarily mean I've failed because some of the stage 3 tests are still to take place!

I'm really confused now.

Wow ...... what happened ??? I dont check the thread for a day or so and it appears to have exploded in fireworks!!!!!

So Anyhoo... back on topic for a mo,

That's interesting news Mark even if very confusing ! Lets see what happens next week then. I was going to ring them today too , but as you've already done so I'll just leave it well alone.

FLYBOY / TOON : Grim news , feel for you.

BulldogBurt

Mark/Clarky - I was told that since they had a large number of passes they had only been able to invite those with a 'very good' pass back to the second (third?) stage. So it may be that you have a 'good' pass and they are keeping you guys on hold in case they don't get the candidates they want from the 40 sitting tests this week?

Quickthorn

I was told everyone would hear something by the end of this week, either by email or via their careers site. That was a few days ago, though, so it could have changed..;)

Geargrinder

I'm really confused now.

I think they keep "reserves" at every stage as a contingency, from initial applications right up to medical stage. They might get a lot of failures on a test day etc. After all with 5000+ applicants the force is with them, not us.

mark1981

Bulldog- i was calling this weeks round of tests stage 3 because its the 3rd visit to the test centre (hotel) sorry if I'm confusing things.

She said this morning that all the results are still not back for stage 2 which is the GBT, comprehension and cables tests.

I really hope this is true but I have a horrible feeling that maybe there has been a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line. I can't see why they would start this weeks tests when some of the results from the last stage are still not in.

My gut feeling is that I'm living in false hope!

Edit- just read the posts about maybe some of us are reserves, that sounds the most likely reason, I just wonder why they haven't told us anything.

Last edited:

Quickthorn

She said this morning that all the results are still not back for stage 2 which is the GBT, comprehension and cables tests.

Strange. I sat the stage 2 on Friday 12th, and the woman running the assessment told us that the results would be with First by the end of Monday 15th.

mark1981

I sat the stage 2 on the same day (Fri 12th) I think they said 7-10 days wait for the results for the candidates.

Something has gone wrong if the results aren't back yet.

BulldogBurt

I think there may be a little confusion as to which 'stage' she is referring to, the DFFT wasn't actually part of the psychometric tests, it was merely another mechanism for TPE to reduce the number of candidates sitting the tests. So maybe she meant that the DTG and CBI was 'stage 2' and they're waiting to see the outcome of these before deciding further. I'm pretty sure from what we were told that all the results from stage 1 (dots and TRP) have been processed by TPE.

mark1981

The lady at recruitment didn't say 'stage 2' it's me calling it incorrectly!

She asked me when I sat the test, I said 2 weeks ago today, she then said not all results are in yet.

I said they must be because the next stage is ongoing this week, she said there will be further tests when all results are in.

I'm sorry if I'm worrying anyone or giving out false hope to others I'm just passing on what I was told this morning.

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
I think they keep "reserves" at every stage as a contingency, from initial applications right up to medical stage. They might get a lot of failures on a test day etc. After all with 5000+ applicants the force is with them, not us.

Which stage are you at now mate ?

DunfordBridge

The flaming is pretty poor on these forums, i'm not suprised so many of the members have failed assessments and interviews.

A little more decorum is probably required on these pages. No wonder there is a need to remain anonymous considering that these pages could be trawled by the personnel departments of TOCs wondering who would be best suited for a passenger facing role.

Clarky042

The lady at recruitment didn't say 'stage 2' it's me calling it incorrectly!

She asked me when I sat the test, I said 2 weeks ago today, she then said not all results are in yet.

I said they must be because the next stage is ongoing this week, she said there will be further tests when all results are in.

I'm sorry if I'm worrying anyone or giving out false hope to others I'm just passing on what I was told this morning.

Well I got this email about half hour ago confirming what I already suspected......

Thank you for attending the assessment session for Trainee Train Driver role with First TransPennine Express.

We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the assessments undertaken thus far. The quality of candidates has been high and although you passed there were other candidates that scored higher on this occasion. Regrettably we will be unable to invite you to the next stage of the recruitment process however; we would like to keep your application on hold.

Applications are actively retained for six months and should another vacancy arise you may be contacted within that period.

Best of luck to everyone but that's me out unless something else does crop up in the next 6 months.

Cheers

ORCH768

Well I got this email about half hour ago confirming what I already suspected......

Thank you for attending the assessment session for Trainee Train Driver role with First TransPennine Express.

We are pleased to inform you that you have passed the assessments undertaken thus far. The quality of candidates has been high and although you passed there were other candidates that scored higher on this occasion. Regrettably we will be unable to invite you to the next stage of the recruitment process however; we would like to keep your application on hold.

Applications are actively retained for six months and should another vacancy arise you may be contacted within that period.

Best of luck to everyone but that's me out unless something else does crop up in the next 6 months.

Cheers

Clarky, I got the same e-mail today, the first line got my hopes up, only to have them scuppered shortly afterwards ! Anyway, at least they've put us out of our misery !
Fingers crossed though eh.......

Clarky042

Clarky, I got the same e-mail today, the first line got my hopes up, only to have them scuppered shortly afterwards ! Anyway, at least they've put us out of our misery !

LOL..... yeah I know what you mean..... and as you say at least we know now , and on the bright side it's still a pass so at least we've got an idea of the benchmark now.

mark1981

I've just received the same email.

Not surprising really and at least its not a failure which might stand us all in good stead in the future.
I felt like i did well on the GBT and cables & dials tests but I had a few doubts with how I did in the comprehension test so I would imagine thats what let me down.

Good luck to everyone left in!

TRACY TRAIN

LOL..... yeah I know what you mean..... and as you say at least we know now , and on the bright side it's still a pass so at least we've got an idea of the benchmark now.
I've just got the same email..looks like there will be a few off us on hold for next time, fingers crossed they just use us and don't re-advertise when the time comes :)

tpc

yep just had the same one too, feel better now because my status on the careers page was unsuccessful assessment and has been like that since last week, but no email, so i thought i had failed and i couldnt understand why.
At least i know i was good enough to pass it so the 40 or so people that have got through really do deserve to be there and good luck to em, hopefully the rest of us will all hear from them in the next few months and we may not have to re-sit those assessments so thats a bonus!

Quickthorn

Still no news here.

Do they tell you what grade you got for each test? If not, how do folk go about finding that out?

tpc

Still no news here.

Do they tell you what grade you got for each test? If not, how do folk go about finding that out?

no just says that i passed doesnt go into anymore detail.

did anyone else who got that email get excited by the subject header? mine said "important information regarding your interview" i was like whoa whats this? then aahhhhh no!

JCLeeds

Did all you guys that passed the assessment day but are told they are in the talent pool (ie no job offer, but kept on file pending more positions) already have the DTM interview? Or is that another stage that FTPE do last?

Flyboy

JC - from our recent experience, FTPE conduct DTG, CBI and DM interviews on the same day. That's what has been happening this week, so all those 'on hold' have so far done DFFT, GBT and TRP parts 1 & 2.

TDK

Established Member

The joys of having pratice material for the tests readilly avaialble

Status
Not open for further replies.