• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for London will "declare itself bankrupt" by end of today (14 May 2020) without emergency finance

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidave

Even if you believe he is undefeatable in London (which is debatable) overseeing the total collapse of the transport networks in London would do little in the way of boosting his future career prospects after his time as mayor ends and he has to appeal to the electorate outside of London, which I'd imagine are part of his thinking process.
Who's going to defeat him, the Tory candidate Shaun Bailey, a man unpopular even in his own party? What's he going to say to all those pensioners on the doorstep? 'Vote for me, my party have just taken your free travel away!'

As for his chances of becoming Leader of the Labour Party and possibly PM, Sadiq may have a very real chance at the first, but even if he was the most popular politician in the country, he wouldn't get the top job. I just don't think the country would vote for a Muslim Prime Minister, not for the next 50 years at least...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Quite a high price to pay for ordinary passengers, fare rises and a temporary restriction of the Freedom Pass to off peak times, won't play well in the outer boroughs which still vote Tory especially his own constituency...
I can't imagine too many Freedom Pass users wanting to travel on the Tube during the peak at the moment anyway. Or indeed at all

And buses are effectively free at the moment anyway

nidave

I can't imagine too many Freedom Pass users wanting to travel on the Tube during the peak at the moment anyway. Or indeed at all

And buses are effectively free at the moment anyway
Quite, my mother has a freedom pass ( as do I) and she hasn't used it since she received her new one back in March.

Mikey C

Established Member
Allowing Freedom Pass holders on the Tube before 9:30 was a silly decision anyway, one made by a former Mayor of London who's gone on to greater things :E

nidave

Allowing Freedom Pass holders on the Tube before 9:30 was a silly decision anyway, one made by a former Mayor of London who's gone on to greater things :E
Debatable, does it really matter when freedom pass holders travel? It's not like the tube is packed full of oldies at rush hour, in fact I can't even remember seeing anyone over the age of 60 out and about on public transport in the morning. My mother won't go out until after the school run is over, I can guess many OAP's feel the same way

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interestingly enough, the BBC’s Tom Edwards tweeted this morning extra conditions that were not in The Sun article yesterday.

They are, RPI+1% fare rise in January, and no freedom pass or 60+ free travel in the am peak.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Since a few people have mentioned it - where on earth does this idea that public transport is cheap in London come from?
Buses aside, local tube and rail travel is pretty much comparable to the rest of the country last time I checked, and is actually pretty expensive when compared to other European cities.

Are National Rail TOCs likely to be in any better a financial situation, revenue has been at best 10% for the last 6 weeks and costs mostly the same, maybe some savings on fuel, track access charges and some staff have been furloughed?

Aren't ToC's being backed by government atm though?
Seens a bit unfair for the government to be backing ToC's but not TfL,especially when you consider if you compared TfL to other ToC's,TfL must be fairly high up in a list of passenger journeys per year.

Well exactly. Unfortunately Londoners in general and Sadiq Khan in particular seem to think they're the centre of the universe and the rest of the country doesn't matter.

Not sure that is really relevant to the conversation, nor is it based in fact.
Indeed you will find that any mayor or regional leader will be prioritising their own area over things outside their area. That is their job after all!

Let it go bankrupt, it’s basically a PTE. The local authorities would have to pick up the slack

1 - Not sure that would end well!
2 - It is much larger than a PTE, indeed in terms of governance it is more like a local authority in some regards anyway (see https://www.londonreconnections.com/2020/tfl-the-impossible-finances-of-fighting-a-pandemic/).

Even if you believe he is undefeatable in London (which is debatable) overseeing the total collapse of the transport networks in London would do little in the way of boosting his future career prospects after his time as mayor ends and he has to appeal to the electorate outside of London, which I'd imagine are part of his thinking process.

On the other hand, being able to just blame the Conservative government for much of this could work in his favour.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Congestion Charge and Ulez (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) to be reinstated from Monday. From 22nd June the congestion charge it will increase to £15, and also operate 7am-10pm 7 days a week. Reimbursement scheme in place for NHS and care staff apparently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Congestion Charge and Ulez (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) to be reinstated from Monday. From 22nd June the congestion charge it will increase to £15, and also operate 7am-10pm 7 days a week. Reimbursement scheme in place for NHS and care staff apparently.

Wow. So Londoners basically aren't allowed to travel?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Free travel for eligible under 18s to be temporarily suspended, with special arrangements made for those entitled to free school transport.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If I was Sadiq, I would've refused the bailout and placed all blame on central government. He's got nothing to lose, London is solidly Labour, he could totally shut down the Tube and bus network and still get elected next year.

And that’s why you’re not the Mayor. Not a good strategy to shut down the transport network of your city with Government offering you £1.6bn to keep it going.

The fares increase next year must have been a particularly sweet moment for DfT / HMT. No doubt who calls the shots on TfL now.

bramling

Veteran Member

This is no doubt the thin end of a very thick wedge as we start the CV19 payback. It’s inevitable we’re all going to see many more similar hikes over coming weeks and months.

We simply get an advance preview here as the government relish their chance to metaphorically s**t over Khan.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is no doubt the thin end of a very thick wedge as we start the CV19 payback. It’s inevitable we’re all going to see many more similar hikes over coming weeks and months

I don't doubt it, but now isn't the time. Whither ENCTS?

We simply get an advance preview here as the government relish their chance to metaphorically s**t over Khan.

I suspect that's the priority - get Londoners to hate him (by shifting the blame onto him) and they'll vote Tory next time. Disgraceful.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"If you have a car, use it - it's going to cost £15 a pop"?
It's worth pointing out that the majority of London is not in the Congestion Charge / Ulez zone. Within the zone itself has probably seen the highest concentration of proper cycling infrastructure, both permanent and temporary; as well as the highest numbers of people likely and able to utilise such infrastructure.

nidave

And that’s why you’re not the Mayor. Not a good strategy to shut down the transport network of your city with Government offering you £1.6bn to keep it going.

The fares increase next year must have been a particularly sweet moment for DfT / HMT. No doubt who calls the shots on TfL now.
I disagree, shutting down the network would probably increase his chances of getting reelected. I think you underestimate just how left leaning most of London is these days. Sure it greatly inconvenience millions of people, but a shutdown would only last a day, two at the most before the Tories would come to their senses.

bramling

Veteran Member

I suspect that's the priority - get Londoners to hate him (by shifting the blame onto him) and they'll vote Tory next time. Disgraceful.

I don’t even think the strategy is to get Londoners to hate him, although if they manage to achieve that then it’s a bonus. Ultimately this simply raises money without risking being too unpopular among Conservative voters, and perhaps most importantly of all gets DFT teeth into TfL.

Khan has been an irritant for ages, and there’s no real prospect of a non-Labour mayor for the foreseeable future, so this neatly kills several birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
That's a big change as the CC doesn't currently operate in the evenings or weekend. Not that there is currently much need for someone to drive into central London at the weekends anyway!

nidave

Nah, the Tories are finished in London. I bet after the next election they simply stop fielding a candidate

baz962

Established Member
I thought if you had an address in the congestion charge zone you were exempt , or used to be . I could be wrong though , as it's around fifteen year's ago that I used to drive in London. Edit . I just looked it up and you get 90% discount , if you have an address in the zone.

BRX

Established Member
Londoners are disincentivised from driving into central london - which is exactly the right move as far as I'm concerned.

I'm quite impressed with TfL's quite positive approach - huge emphasis on cycling & walking - despite what the govt have thrown at them:

BRX

Established Member
And here is the mayor's statement:

We have just reached agreement with the Government on a funding package to allow TfL to run public transport safely in London for the next four and a half months. This was necessary because Covid-19 has had a catastrophic impact on TfL’s finances – as it has on every transport provider in the UK.

“I want to be completely honest and upfront with Londoners – this is not the deal I wanted. But it was the only deal the Government put on the table and I had no choice but to accept it to keep the Tubes and buses running.

“In the last few years, London has been the only major city in western Europe that hasn’t received direct Government funding to run day to day transport services since it was cut by the last Government. This means we rely very heavily on passenger fares to pay for the services we run. Fares income has fallen by 90 per cent in the last two months because Londoners have done the right thing and stayed at home – so there simply isn’t enough money coming in to pay for our services.

“We are running as many services as humanly possible given the number of staff off sick, shielding or self-isolating. As staff are returning to work we are increasing services as fast as possible to get back to 100 per cent. From Monday we aim to run around 85 per cent of buses, 75 per cent of Tubes, restore the Circle line and re-open some of the 37 closed stations.

“The Government is, in effect, making ordinary Londoners pay the cost for doing the right thing on Covid-19. They want fares to go up next January – ending the four years fares freeze I delivered after the last election. They have insisted that free travel is temporarily suspended for Freedom Pass and 60-plus card holders at peak times. We agreed it was the right thing to review the Congestion Charge.

“The Government has also insisted that, unlike the deals done elsewhere in the country, TfL takes on £505 million of additional debt. This will undo the hard work we’ve put in to fix TfL’s finances over the last four years – when TfL’s operating deficit has reduced by 71 per cent.

“This deal is a sticking plaster. The old model for funding public transport in London simply does not work in this new reality – fares income will not cover the cost of running services while so few people can safely use public transport. Over the next few months we will have to negotiate a new funding model with Government – which will involve either permanent funding from Government or giving London more control over key taxes so we can pay for it ourselves - or a combination of both.

“TfL and City Hall will do all that we can to enable London’s recovery. We will run as many trains and buses as possible. But we need Londoners’ help. We must not use public transport unless absolutely necessary. People who can work from home must do so. Everyone must walk and cycle more. People should wear a face covering throughout their journeys.

“I promise to continue being as upfront and clear as possible with Londoners about the challenges facing our city. This is not the deal I wanted for our city, but together we can overcome the challenges we face.”

telstarbox

Established Member
How many constituencies within the congestion charge area are Conservative? So, from a government point of view, who really cares what the impact might be?
This misses the point - most people driving in the CC zone are coming from further outside such as builders, small catering suppliers, taxi drivers, etc and lots of them will live in Tory seats.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
This misses the point - most people driving in the CC zone are coming from further outside such as builders, small catering suppliers, taxi drivers, etc and lots of them will live in Tory seats.

A very good point - note the numbers of ECS Black cabs and "men / women with white vans" heading southbound down the M1 in the morning , heading for London work. Not many carpenters etc can live in say Pimlico or Islington. Under normal times that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.