• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman1

Good news. Good luck. I got stage 2 Wednesday. Had stage 1 last week. Nervous now haha
You will be fine mate, just remember to brush up on the examples for your MMI as they will want you to elaborate on them. Computer tests are a bit more relaxed than the paper ones I felt, but you just don’t know how you done.

mark01348

You will be fine mate, just remember to brush up on the examples for your MMI as they will want you to elaborate on them. Computer tests are a bit more relaxed than the paper ones I felt, but you just don’t know how you done.
Thanks. Yeh luckily it's so fresh in my mind from last week.
Just not doing too well on the train driver info software with the photo memory in the practicing.

Paper ones were relentless haha

Welshman1

Just not doing too well on the train driver info software with the photo memory in the practicing.

Ye this was the one I found difficult, and was unsure of. What I will say the test on the day is a lot clearer and simpler than the one train driver info use. The one train driver info use have some obscure things in the images

mark01348

Ye this was the one I found difficult, and was unsure of. What I will say the test on the day is a lot clearer and simpler than the one train driver info use. The one train driver info use have some obscure things in the images
Thanks for the info. Is there a lot more to the MMI other than the questions in stage 1? Thanks

Welshman1

Thanks for the info. Is there a lot more to the MMI other than the questions in stage 1? Thanks
Just the questions, but they will want you do go in to detail, the interviewers are really good, they will try to help you get it right. They will say like how did that make you feel ? Would you do anything different ? Etc also type in MMI in the search bar there is loads of info to help.

mark01348

Just the questions, but they will want you do go in to detail, the interviewers are really good, they will try to help you get it right. They will say like how did that make you feel ? Would you do anything different ? Etc also type in MMI in the search bar there is loads of info to help.
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Shunted

My only advice on this is don’t guess! I think it’s heavily negatively marked so just press what you definitely see and should pass ok

SLee

I never got to practice that photo memory one before sitting it on the day, that pic was up then gone in a flash, I almost laughed as it was ridiculous, and you go through maybe 15 of them.

I just clicked on what I definitely saw, but by then end I was certain I’d failed.

Happily I passed.

I don’t know how many mistakes I made but all I know is I did enough.

The problem with the software that allows you to practice is it probably also tells you how many mistakes you made, which can leave you lacking confidence on the day.

I was like that when practicing group bourdon. At home when I marked my own efforts I was certain I was short of the mark.. on the day I passed to enhanced level.

For me the only one I would advice to practice after doing all the tests is the group bourdon and that only because your eyes learn the cluster shapes of the 4 dots so on the day they are more recognisable and stand out more.

mark01348

Thanks for the replies. Yeh definetly no guessing..learnt that from stage one when they mentioned negative marking.

I remember closing a page on the paper tests and seeing something in the directory I didn't circle and was kicking myself haha!

I will probably use it more to just try and make my mind sharper to things.

Just going to think positive and do my best.
I guess some nervousness is good because it drives you to try harder. Roll on Wednesday.

BrokenSam

Through the classroom in Chester finally. If you get Dave Nixon as your trainer he's a proper driver with 16 years experience. Just work hard as he knows if you're half arsing it.

Welshman1

Through the classroom in Chester finally. If you get Dave Nixon as your trainer he's a proper driver with 16 years experience. Just work hard as he knows if you're half arsing it.
How did you find all the testing ? I would think it’s a lot to take in at first.

wobman

On Moderation
Have they said How long it will be until you go with a DI ? There's still a huge backlog in that area

BrokenSam

How did you find all the testing ? I would think it’s a lot to take in at first.
It's tough not going to lie. I'm grateful to have experience as a Guard. Just make sure your loved ones know the score and that you'll need to spend alot of free time reading up.

Have they said How long it will be until you go with a DI ? There's still a huge backlog in that area
All the course are Crewe so they have enough instructors. I have swapped to Chester and its expected that I may have a bit of a wait after traction training.

Some have only just come back from upwards of 9 months sitting at home. May be changes now with Covid rules easing somewhat.

wobman

On Moderation
It's tough not going to lie. I'm grateful to have experience as a Guard. Just make sure your loved ones know the score and that you'll need to spend alot of free time reading up.

All the course are Crewe so they have enough instructors. I have swapped to Chester and its expected that I may have a bit of a wait after traction training.

Some have only just come back from upwards of 9 months sitting at home. May be changes now with Covid rules easing somewhat.
Most of that group are front ending waiting for DIs as the group before them haven't passed out yet, I think half have passed out now. As they pass out then that delayed group get the spare DI, some DIs are going on the 197s soon and the 230's training restarts soon aswell.
It's a busy time in the training centre, there's some qualified drivers in there for Chester plus another group for Chester starting in March!!!!

owen306

Hi, I start as a Trainee Train Driver 21st March with TFW, I was wondering if anybody could let me know what date is payday in March for TFW? I am just trying to work my finances out because the last day I get paid in my current job is 15th March and they will only be paying me 2 weeks. Thank you in advance.:)

Burt807

Hi it's every 28 days, and our next payday is the 25th Feb and I think falls on the 25th March too. Hope that helps

owen306

Hi it's every 28 days, and our next payday is the 25th Feb and I think falls on the 25th March too. Hope that helps
That great help thank you Burt807. I read through my contract and it says I get paid 4 weeks in arrears, but didn’t specify the first payday. I can’t wait to start now.:lol:

Burt807

That great help thank you Burt807. I read through my contract and it says I get paid 4 weeks in arrears, but didn’t specify the first payday. I can’t wait to start now.:lol:
No problem. We started on the 17th Jan and got a week's pay a week after we started. You'll probably get a few days worth too

craigybagel

Established Member
Hi, I start as a Trainee Train Driver 21st March with TFW, I was wondering if anybody could let me know what date is payday in March for TFW? I am just trying to work my finances out because the last day I get paid in my current job is 15th March and they will only be paying me 2 weeks. Thank you in advance.:)
Unfortunately you'll be starting on the first day of that pay cycle, so you'll have to wait until April 22nd before you get paid anything. The good news is you'll get a full 4 weeks salary on that day.

On each pay day you get what you've earned for the 4 weeks up to the Saturday before the Friday pay day, if that makes sense?

owen306

Unfortunately you'll be starting on the first day of that pay cycle, so you'll have to wait until April 22nd before you get paid anything. The good news is you'll get a full 4 weeks salary on that day.

On each pay day you get what you've earned for the 4 weeks up to the Saturday before the Friday pay day, if that makes sense?
That makes perfect sense, thank you for your help.:)

No problem. We started on the 17th Jan and got a week's pay a week after we started. You'll probably get a few days worth too
thanks Mate, I hope the course is going good and you are enjoying it?

Burt807

That makes perfect sense, thank you for your help.:)

thanks Mate, I hope the course is going good and you are enjoying it?
I'm glad someone who knew what they were talking about answered your query
Still a long way to go but yes really enjoying it thanks

wobman

On Moderation
Hi, would anybody happen to know if the 21st March course in the North is just for Crewe & Chester depots?
The latest course thats just finished were for crewe, I've heard march course hss trainees for Chester not sure if it has crewe trainees aswell. There will be a backlog before they get DIs once the classroom part finishes, the group from over 6 months ago haven't all got DIs yet at Chester.
A few are still front end turning whilst waiting, that's better than sitting at home for 6 months like they previously had to do.

owen306

Hi, would anybody happen to know if the 21st March course in the North is just for Crewe & Chester depots?
Hi, I’m not sure mate. I’m on the 21st course and I’m for crewe.

I'm glad someone who knew what they were talking about answered your query
Still a long way to go but yes really enjoying it thanks
Nice one, im glad you are enjoying it.