• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThePeakNed

Yeah I did - I applied around then I think: I'm in the talent pool now.

There's been a few others as well, recommend that you read back through the thread.
I must have slipped right through the net for assessments then. Suppose that’ll be a thanks but no thanks.

RyanC87

I must have slipped right through the net for assessments then. Suppose that’ll be a thanks but no thanks.
Not always. Two of my mates applied same time. 1 got assessment straightaway, one waited 4 months to hear.

Drop them an email, they don't always respond due to being busy, but just ask if you will hear anything.

Wincey123

Had my medical today. Very thorough but glad it’s done as one step closer to that contract!
Exciting times! I had a date for DMI sent through but couldn’t do the date they requested so currently back on the waiting list which is very painful.

Rigvon

Do you find out on the day? How long does it take and where on Chester Station is it?
Well done by the way.
I’ll be at Cardiff so that’s where it took place. Took about an hour and he told me there and then I’d passed.

Exciting times! I had a date for DMI sent through but couldn’t do the date they requested so currently back on the waiting list which is very painful.
Ah no! I hope you get another date through soon. Must be so frustrating.

Badge3226

Do you find out on the day? How long does it take and where on Chester Station is it?
Well done by the way.

Walk in through the main entrance at Chester station, turn right, past the toilets to the end. It’s opposite customer services and has the medigold details on the door.

You do find out there and then mate. If you have the health tech I had (Lee I think), It’s a pretty relaxed atmosphere in there. Medigold certainly don’t have the best reputation as a company, but ‘Lee’ was spot on.

I ‘failed’ mine as my ECG shown an ‘abnormality’. They later told me I’d need to repeat the ECG with a GP and get them to sign me off. I managed to get in that very night with a private Occuptional Health doctor who happily signed me off. Took medigold 6 days to simply acknowledge the email but we got there in the end.

mpfol

Any help would be appreciated. Just been told by a friend of a friend that driver training isn’t based in Cardiff alone and I will have to live away for 6 weeks. Is there any truth in this? I’ve applied for the Cardiff role.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Any help would be appreciated. Just been told by a friend of a friend that driver training isn’t based in Cardiff alone and I will have to live away for 6 weeks. Is there any truth in this? I’ve applied for the Cardiff role.
Initial training is done at either Cardiff or Chester, so yours will be done at Cardiff I would have thought. Though traction, driving hours and route knowledge will all be done at your base depot.

Not sure about living away, don't think TfW do that anywhere. Not many train companies do anymore.

Diedinium

Surely TfW will put you up in a hotel if you're training away from your base depot?

RyanC87

If you're Cardiff all training is done there between St pats and the sim Centre. All traction etc is done from home depot so booking on at St pats behind the station.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Surely TfW will put you up in a hotel if you're training away from your base depot?
A they've applied for Cardiff, they will be expected to commute to the Cardiff offices for the training. I would guess it depends on distance from depot to training location whether they provide accommodation. I know XC so provide this, whereas Chiltern and WMT definitely do not for example

craigybagel

Established Member
TfW put trainees up in hotels if required. With only two training centres for driving courses (Chester and Cardiff) it is too far a commute for drivers at the far flung depots to be expected to make daily. Breakfast and dinner is also covered for staff staying in hotels.

Before COVID courses taking place primarily in Chester would normally spend a week in Cardiff, partly because there tends to be more units available for training on during the day down there, and partly to allow for visits to TfW control. Again trainees would be placed in a hotel down there for the week. I don't believe this has been brought back yet however.

Plodster

If you live more than an hour away from the training school (Cardiff / Chester) you will be offered hotel accommodation for the duration of the course.

Wincey123

So it’s become very real now after ordering my uniform today!
So it’s become very real now after ordering my uniform today!
Mate that’s unbelievable how quick it’s moving for you! I’ve had some more DMI dates sent through and replied within 40minutes but awaiting them to confirm if I got one or not! It’s a killer! Obviously already obsessing about it and revision is happening every day.

Rigvon

That’s great! I’ve got my medical soon for Chester, what was the process like after you did your medical?
The onboarding process is full on after medical. They called me two days later to say I’d passed (even though they confirmed this at the medical) to explain next steps. I’ve since received a barrage of emails with forms to sign and fill. Staff passes to be applied for, inform order forms. Invitations to take original ID documents in, DBS checks and online ID checks. It’s full on bit very efficient and exciting!

jal2610

Does anybody have any advice as to questions to ask at the end of the interview. I know they're supposed to be things that I genuinely want to know but want them to be intelligent questions of that makes sense!

Badge3226

Does anybody have any advice as to questions to ask at the end of the interview. I know they're supposed to be things that I genuinely want to know but want them to be intelligent questions of that makes sense!

I really wouldn’t worry about it. Your answer to their questions is all they are interested in.

Unless you have any genuine queries, I wouldn’t ask anything, they’ll know if you’re just asking something bone for the sake of it. I personally always feel that if I’ve given a good interview, not asking any questions shows an air of confidence to my performance.

Focus more on learning about the role, the company and how you would deal with any challenges

jal2610

I really wouldn’t worry about it. Your answer to their questions is all they are interested in.

Unless you have any genuine queries, I wouldn’t ask anything, they’ll know if you’re just asking something bone for the sake of it. I personally always feel that if I’ve given a good interview, not asking any questions shows an air of confidence to my performance.

Focus more on learning about the role, the company and how you would deal with any challenges
Thanks a lot for the response, much appreciated. That's fair enough and does make sense. I've done a lot of prep so hopefully that sees me through

Rigvon

Thanks a lot for the response, much appreciated. That's fair enough and does make sense. I've done a lot of prep so hopefully that sees me through
I would ask them something like what they see as the upcoming challenges for TFW over the next 12 months.

Zontar

I'd ask what's happening with the 230s.....

Simotrfc

As previous people have said just show a bit of interest. Ask about 230’s, ask how drivers are finding 197’s etc. shows you’ve done a bit of research then. Think I asked about the course