• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trapped in train doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
On all new rolling stock, it is practically impossible to get stuck in the train doors. Once the train doors sense that something is there they re-open. So much so that passengers on the line i work do this deliberately to allow late running passengers to board, this then causes delay, as the doors have to now be manually closed at the door that has been obstructed. It would be interesting to know how much delays like this cost tocs in fines for late running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
On all new rolling stock, it is practically impossible to get stuck in the train doors. Once the train doors sense that something is there they re-open. So much so that passengers on the line i work do this deliberately to allow late running passengers to board, this then causes delay, as the doors have to now be manually closed at the door that has been obstructed. It would be interesting to know how much delays like this cost tocs in fines for late running.

None, because the problem is not reported and not dealt with as a result. As far as I am concerned personally, anyone who flicks about with my train doors are off, I refuse to take them. Simple, no questions, no arguments...

SPADTrap

Established Member
The first paragraph is EXACTLY the wrong attitude for any safety conscious industry. I suggest you look at the aviation industry for example where confidential no-fault reporting systems are proven to reduce safety-related incidents.

Just because luckily no one got hurt this time doesn't mean that they won't next time......

I agree. Perhaps I was in a bad mood!

Established Member
None, because the problem is not reported and not dealt with as a result. As far as I am concerned personally, anyone who flicks about with my train doors are off, I refuse to take them. Simple, no questions, no arguments...

Oh they are reported, everytime a situation like this occurs my Managers are made aware as does my control. On some occasions this has meant the train being terminated short of destination. The problem is, is when loads of people come running down the stairs at the same time and the first of the bunch jump onto the train as the doors are closing the rest then follow, which then means you cant work out who caused the initial delay. But as you know if your problem is at door panel one and your working from say door panel Eight, you know this is going to take time.

Skimble19

Established Member
I can't really remember but I don't think it was illuminated at that time.

No, I could only reach the inside button, I only remember there being one button which my friend pressed before we arrived at the station. That button became illuminated at that time but I don't think it did when I pressed later.

Sorry, but if you pressed the door open button BEFORE you got to the station then it wouldn't have done anything at all..

Linziburns

Sorry, but if you pressed the door open button BEFORE you got to the station then it wouldn't have done anything at all..

Of course it didn't open, but it lit up and opened when the train stopped. Not having much experience on trains I just assumed that if you didn't press the button, the door wouldn't open when the train stopped. My friend's a seasoned traveller and knows what she's doing, I'm just reporting what happened on that day. The 'open doors' button lit up when it was pressed before we entered the station.

michael769

Established Member
Of course it didn't open, but it lit up and opened when the train stopped. Not having much experience on trains I just assumed that if you didn't press the button, the door wouldn't open when the train stopped.

This is correct - if it opened without the button being pressed someone outside must have pressed it.

The 'open doors' button lit up when it was pressed before we entered the station.

If this is true it should be reported to the ToC as it would indicate a very serious safety critical failure in the on-train safety systems which requires investigation.

rebmcr

Established Member
The 'open doors' button lit up when it was pressed before we entered the station.

If this is true it should be reported to the ToC as it would indicate a very serious safety critical failure in the on-train safety systems which requires investigation.

It quite clearly means 'before the passengers entered the station', not 'before the train stopped in the station'.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm not sure why - there's nothing wrong with the button illuminating briefly (which is how I read the above - the OP pressed the button before the train stopped, thinking that it'd cause the doors to open immediately they were released) if pressed before the doors are released, as long as the doors didn't actually open! Whether it'd have the desired (by the OP) effect, I don't know.

Linziburns

This is correct - if it opened without the button being pressed someone outside must have pressed it.

The train was still in motion when my friend pressed this button, we were just pulling into the station so it couldn't have been operated from outside. When she pressed the button it lit up. When the train came to a halt, the doors opened.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure why - there's nothing wrong with the button illuminating briefly (which is how I read the above - the OP pressed the button before the train stopped, thinking that it'd cause the doors to open immediately they were released) if pressed before the doors are released, as long as the doors didn't actually open! Whether it'd have the desired (by the OP) effect, I don't know.

I guess my companion thought it would open the doors upon release, yes. I'm afraid I have no idea about any of this, if it'd've been just me alone, I would've expected all the doors to open upon arrival at the station, regardless of pushing this button, but I really have no idea.

BestWestern

Established Member
Okay, just to clarify. The button should not light up until the Driver presses his buttons in the cab which 'release' (unlock) the doors. That, obviously, shouldn't be done until the train has stopped completely. If it is done too soon, the train should grind to a halt, due to the safety systems in place - the doors are linked in with the train motors and/or brakes, so the train cannot be driven with the doors unlocked. This also means that the train should come to a halt if the doors are unlocked whilst on the move.

If the button did light up as the train was moving, then I would imagine it would likely be down to a fault of some kind, or Driver error. So there could be a new chapter to the saga! Somebody could write a movie about this with all these posts! :D

Skimble19

Established Member
Occasionally pressing the Door Open buttons on a 365 will lead to the small Not In Use sign lighting up in red, although the actual yellow lights around the button shouldn't have lit up whilst in motion.

A-driver

Established Member
Has this thread not run its course by now? Seems to be going around in circles.

Linziburns

Occasionally pressing the Door Open buttons on a 365 will lead to the small Not In Use sign lighting up in red, although the actual yellow lights around the button shouldn't have lit up whilst in motion.

Although I wasn't paying a great deal of attention to this button, I'm inclined to say it was lit up in red, however I did think that it remained on until the train stopped. But like I said, I really wasn't paying attention, it may have only flashed for a moment. Though a possible fault referred to in FCCs email and forum posts suggest that there may have been issues with the door.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has this thread not run its course by now? Seems to be going around in circles.

Many, many circles for sure! I'm happy for this discussion to be closed unless anyone has anything new to add? I think we've pretty much exhausted the topic by now!

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed, it's been an interesting experience.

Last edited:

sirhc

Great play has been made about the operation of the trains doors upon arrival and got away from the main point that this Lady's double buggy was trapped in the doors when they closed on her. Additionally the driver behaviour and FCC attitude in ignoring her complaint.

A-driver

Established Member
Great play has been made about the operation of the trains doors upon arrival and got away from the main point that this Lady's double buggy was trapped in the doors when they closed on her. Additionally the driver behaviour and FCC attitude in ignoring her complaint.

What do you mean ignoring her complaint? As I have already said, it wasn't ignored, they investigated it and acted on it.

Skimble19

Established Member
I must admit I am now inclined to agree this thread has reached it's logical conclusion, as summarised in the post above. I hope Liz is now assured that everything *was* acted on, even though it may not have initially seemed so.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there is anything to add that hasn't been said already. I am closing the thread, if anyone wants it reopened because they have soemthing new to add, please ask a member of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.